How to remove bolts that just keep spinning? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > How to remove bolts that just keep spinning?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

How to remove bolts that just keep spinning?

I'm trying to remove my front bumper end caps/airdam since it sags and looks like ****. Thing is, every single bolt spins and spins (or turns, whatever word you want to use) when I put the wrench to it without coming loose. It's painfully annoying, and since I am borderline retarded when it comes to any sort of handy work, I have no idea how to remove them. Advice?

Thanks.

Unread 11-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Put another wrench/socket over the nut on the other end of the bolt. The rivets will need to be drilled out, cut, or otherwise dismembered.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

A pound of c-4 should work well,or a stick of dynamite if oh cant get any c-4. Or maybe vice grips?
Unread 11-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Put another wrench/socket over the nut on the other end of the bolt.
Let's not go the simple route.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
ChewyXJ
nom nom nom

Some of those trim bolts do not use regular nuts. They use those washer thin retainer thingamabobs. I imagine they make a special tool for these annoying devices but I've never used one. Sometimes a wrench will work but sometimes you've got to be creative by using pliers, vise-grips, cutting tool, etc.

I replace them with real nuts.
'87 XJ 2" lift
'96 XJ stock

"Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making some more."

"Don't believe everything you think..."
ChewyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Let's not go the simple route.
This would be great if I had hands the size of a peanut. I can't fit my hands into the space where this would even be possible, unless I am not trying hard enough.
Unread 11-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
Indy

Just push harder until you can reach them. Make sure you have someone come check on you if they don't hear from you for a few hours. I'd hate to read in the paper about a corpse found with his hand stuck inside a bumper I contemplated exactly that this afternoon trying to get my hand and a wrench into a spot in my mustangs engine compartment.

Worst comes to worse, cut-off tool and new fasteners.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Arent those pieces just plastic?
If so rip them of, or if you are weak tie a rope around the part you want to remove and the other end to a tree and put it in R and floor it.
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Just push harder until you can reach them. Make sure you have someone come check on you if they don't hear from you for a few hours. I'd hate to read in the paper about a corpse found with his hand stuck inside a bumper I contemplated exactly that this afternoon trying to get my hand and a wrench into a spot in my mustangs engine compartment.

Thats the real nice thing about having kids,they have very small hands for many years of dash work and other tight spots.
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
BLOODBANE
1984 CJ7 

A BFH and a chisel sometimes can do wonders.
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

A nut buster if you can fit it in.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...Fc-Y4AodL38AVg
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
BadHammers
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
That sounds worse than just dying with your hand stuck in the bumper.
Jeeps past 01 XJ, 08 JK, 11 KK
BadHammers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
Oh, this looks cool. I'm going to have to give this a go.
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You don't need a nut buster. The plastic is held on by nuts/bolts/screws/rivets, most of which you can snap off with hand tools. The bumper brackets are bolted to the frame rails and the factory used nut clips. Rusted out nut clips will break and spin. Simply put a pliers or vise grips on the nut clip, and remove the bolts.

untitled.jpg  
capture.jpg

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #15
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
Hey, these have great reviews! Should work just fine!

Splits'm rite in 2, October 17, 2011
By NCutter from California(read all my reviews)

"These are the best nut splitters I've ever used. You just clamp them on your nuts and start twisting. I especially like the two different sizes. Lets me split my big nut and the smaller one too. Very handy, but they are a pain to use, if used correctly. Good luck with your nuts."

Describe Yourself: Professional

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.