How much would it cost to repair/replace transmission... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > How much would it cost to repair/replace transmission...

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
XJ96PA
2001 WJ 

How much would it cost to repair/replace transmission...

...in a 96 Chevy Lumina. I'm going to call around some places tomorrow for estimates, but I just wanted a rough idea how much it would cost. My girlfriend's car just broke down tonight. We just made a 1000 dollar security deposit on an apartment, too. So we don't have much money. talk about bad timing. Also, how much would it be worth if we sold it with a bad tranny? $500? It's a 96 with 126,xxx miles.

XJ96PA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
KWAG

Which motor is in it?

1969 Camaro z28 clone
2007 Commander
KWAG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Geez, what kinda apartment has a $1k security deposit?

Either way, tranny jobs runs like $500-$700 normally don't they?

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

I'd say its worth about the $500 if you just sell it outright. If i had to guess its gonna be about $1000 for them to rebuild it. It could be cheaper to have them swap a used one in. What makes you think its bad? Did you check the fluid level? My Lumina slips a bit when the fluid is a little low. Its been doing it for over 3 years and 40k miles.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
XJ96PA
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenLeg View Post
Which motor is in it?
3.1 I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kyle_ View Post
Geez, what kinda apartment has a $1k security deposit?

Either way, tranny jobs runs like $500-$700 normally don't they?
It's my first place and don't have rental references or enough credit. So double security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeporvis97 View Post
What makes you think its bad? Did you check the fluid level? My Lumina slips a bit when the fluid is a little low. Its been doing it for over 3 years and 40k miles.
It started making a noise, i was driving along and then it made a very loud noise, and revved. It doesn't have any gears except 1st, and it's still making a very loud noise.
Unread 12-18-2008, 07:47 AM   #6
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I guess I will be the first one to say it. Its not worth fixing. A 96 lumina down here in perfect shape will bring about $800. And thats with comparable mileage to yours. I would cut my losses, buy a $500 car, and save up for something nicer in the mean time. Sorry but while those cars have a following, you would be better off picking up a cheap get around than sinking any more money into that one.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

yeah I would try selling the car the way it is. Plus what happens if you rebuild the entire tranny then something else major goes. Use the money you get from selling it plus what you could have spent on rebuilding it and buy her a cheap XJ

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
XJ96PA
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
I guess I will be the first one to say it. Its not worth fixing. A 96 lumina down here in perfect shape will bring about $800. And thats with comparable mileage to yours. I would cut my losses, buy a $500 car, and save up for something nicer in the mean time. Sorry but while those cars have a following, you would be better off picking up a cheap get around than sinking any more money into that one.
wow, you're right. just looked at the book value.

Excellent
$1,260

Good
$1,085

Fair
$760

We payed 1450 for the car in August, and i thought it was a deal because it runs so good. So much for that.
Oh, and I got a quote today.

950 for used transmission
1650 for rebuilt

I would get one from a junk yard and do it myself, but FWD + AUTO =

I still don't know what to do, I hate car shopping.
Unread 12-18-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

just give it to the guys who give you 400 bucks and tows it away and buy a k-car

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #10
XJ96PA
2001 WJ 

k-car? .
Unread 12-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #11
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

probably the cheapest car ever

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #12
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

K-car FTW Sweet. Yeah and changin a trans in a fwd is pain. Can't sneak that one in at an apt.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #13
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
K-car FTW Sweet. Yeah and changin a trans in a fwd is pain. Can't sneak that one in at an apt.
I think the engine cradle has to come off on those cars.

I've got a 92 eurosport lumina with 145k miles and that thing just doesn't die!(knock on wood) Its got weak brakes, original(and now frozen) struts, and just about everything else is original. Thing just keeps ticking along. Its rusted to the ground, but nothing some bondo and bedliner paint can't fix. We've owned it since it had 8 miles in 1992. Basically what I'm trying to say, is you should try to find a low mileage well taken care of Lumina, they are great vehicles!

In pictures it looks pretty nice actually.

Unread 12-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #14
XJ96PA
2001 WJ 

Nice lumina. that thing looks mint. ours is the newer body style, and the clearcoat is all flakin off on the hood, top of the fender, and trunk. it ran like a champ though
Unread 12-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #15
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, just get another one, the only way keeping yours would be cheaper is if you could swap it yourself with a used trans. There's this old saying I love... "GM cars will run bad longer than most other cars will run at all!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.