JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/)
-   -   How to make an insulated bag for cold drinks? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/how-make-insulated-bag-cold-drinks-1573641/)

Burlbook48 09-09-2013 07:29 PM

How to make an insulated bag for cold drinks?

Gunna go camping for a couple/three days, but have a small ice chest. It will be pretty much filled up with steaks and other yumminess, plus frozen water bottles. Not much room for another hard-sided cooler in the jeep. Was thinking of putting beer, soda, and frozen water bottles in a plastic garbage bag, then putting that bag in another garbage bag, with blankets between the two as a (sort of) insulating layer. This way the bag would make a flexible-sided cooler that would be, if nothing else, better than nothing. And, it would fit in an irregular-shaped area behind one seat.

Anybody got a better idea? Styrofoam peanuts are out, I hate those damn things.

Figured this forum gets more traffic than outdoor recreation, but call the occasion a deck party if that makes it qualify for Gen. Disc.

:cheers2: :hahaha: :cheers:

jbolty 09-09-2013 09:25 PM

Sounds like that would stay cold for about an hour.

Freeze the steaks and they will self refrigerate in a good cooler for a day or so.

If you have any cooler other than a coleman xtreme you wasted your money

forget beer and soda. bring lots of water, hard liquor and powered drink mixes

Burlbook48 09-09-2013 11:03 PM

Just wondering if anybody had come up with something that worked better than "about an hour".

Powdered drink mixes? Good liquor doonn need no steenkeen powder. ;)

Good call on the frozen steaks, I forgot to remember that one. :o

Most of the drinking water will be in the frozen state. Water is water, might as well let it earn it's keep.:thumbsup:

And you are right. Coleman Extreme... "there is no substitute". Well, at least not at layman's prices. :highfive:

Anticanman 09-09-2013 11:04 PM

My trasharoo works as an ice chest. Grommets at the bottom drain melted water away.

Grape Ape 09-10-2013 05:20 PM

You need 3-4 layers for you soft cooler. Outside layer white trash bag to reflect heat, black bag will absorb. Second layer blanket. Third layer emergency sleeping bag, basically the silver emergency blanket but use the sleeping bag version so it can be used as a trash bag. Then finally line it with white trash bag.

Viola' cheap flexible cooler. Plus you have an extra blanket and an emergency sleeping bag should it become necessary. and you will have 2 trash bags to help haul out other trash you find on the trail.

Another option for hauling gear, I did this on a 2 week primitive camping trip with the wife and 2 daughters. I took a 3/4" piece of plywood and cut it to go across the bars from the window to the roll bar. Used U-bolts to clamp it down to the bars then put 2 full sized coolers and one of those old black rubbermaid boxes with the gray lid. Strapped them down by running ratchet straps over them and down to the roll cage. Worked like a charm and gave us a lot of extra space.

Burlbook48 09-16-2013 10:08 AM

Thanks Grape! Sorry, didn't get a chance to reply before we left. That worked pretty well, at least it kept the first-night's brews chilling on the trail so we didn't have to open the ice chest. :cheers2:

I already have a cargo rack for the back seat area of my YJ. Plus a couple pieces of cross-drilled square stock c-clamped and spanning the outside of the family bars for hanging folding chairs and tables. Amazing what you can tie down on a jeep if you don't mind looking like the Clampets moving to Beverly Hills. :laugh:

Grape Ape 09-16-2013 11:24 AM

Glad it worked. I know what you mean about looking like the Clampets. On that trip we took I had the boxes across the top above the driver and passenger. Sleeping bags lashed to the uprights of the roll bar. Bags stacked high on the rear wheel wells duffels full of clothes under the kids feet. Tools and other stuff behind the seats and stacked high. Lawn chairs tied to the spare tire. I broke our fishing poles down and had them tied across the back of the jeep right above the bumperettes. My wife had the video camera box and other stuff under her feet. We were out in the woods 16 days living on what we packed in the jeep and had a blast. And that was with my wife who loves the outdoors and 2 little city girls 8 and 15. They both loved it and still talk of it almost 20 years later.

But damned if we didn't look like homeless okies traveling the countryside. Even worse on the way home everything was covered in dirt and dust including all of us. We kept relatively clean in the lake but it was a long way out in the silt and dust to get home. We tore up the shower getting clean after that trip.

The time now is 04:25 PM.