how long to wait before applying for jobs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > how long to wait before applying for jobs?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 02-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
sharpie
go to driveautogear.com!

how long to wait before applying for jobs?

I'm almost out of college (four months left), and I am starting to look into positions in the Information Technology field. Most of them are based in the Bay Area of CA. I was wondering if I should be applying now for July 1, or if I should be waiting till closer to my start date. I don't want to get started too late, nor do I want to offend them by telling them I can't start till 7 months from now. I know that in some fields there is a training which could take up to six months, but in most IT fields I hear it's on-the-job training.

TIA

Check out our shirts in the Vendor Display Forum!

- Brian
Drive Auto Gear
Drive Auto Gear Website

Like us on Facebook!

XJ Writeups:
| DOORLESS IN A 97+ | D44 SWAP | REBUILDING A CV DRIVESHAFT | HOME-BREWED CENTER CONSOLE
sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
cmotsvt

Speaking personally, if Im hiring for an employee I need them ASAP. If you tell me you can start in a month thats a bit long. Any longer than an month and youre in the hopper.
cmotsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You can start applying now. Most larger companies have training programs, so they may be able to schedule for the training session that starts after you graduate
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Give them a call, that should answear any question you might have.
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Awshux
Cynical Bastard

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Apply now, and be candid with your expectations. Most employers who hire candidates right out of college are used to dealing with this situation. If your resume and experience are strong, an employer may be willing to wait for you to start. It also prevents you from having to compete with the glut of candidates who wait until graduation before starting the job hunt. At a minumum, it will give you experience in applying and interviewing in the meantime.
Unread 02-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I would start now but as cheap5.0 said , give them a call. One advantage you will get a little bit of an idea as to what they may be needing, and you will also be able to gather information as to the best person to send your resume and cover letter to. Another advantage, a call will give you some better inside info for use in your cover letter to make you stand out from the crowd.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'd start applying now, just make your intended start date clear.
Unread 02-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

bro apply now, worst thing they will say is sorry we need somebody sooner then that but at least you have your name in the door. when the acceptable timeframe for that company has been meet they will recognize you when you talk to them again.

-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.