how does my diet sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > how does my diet sound

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

how does my diet sound

well right now i am almost 6'3" and i am in the low 190's i need to loose some wait and i am really try to tone up. i figure if i dont get into a habit of being healthy its not gunna happen. so i have been running alot, and at college there isnt much option. so how bad would be it if i ate only special k and total cereal. if its bad what would i need to add to my diet?

toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
GasAxe
1983 CJ5 

Bacon. Lots of bacon.
And by the look of his avatar and name... not a hippie.
GasAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toates89
am almost 6'3" and i am in the low 190's
Sounds about right...is all your weight in your boobs or something?
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
bono426
2005 LJ Wrangler 

yea, isnt that skinny for a 6'3" person?
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
pdxbubba
2006 KJ Liberty 

A "Diet" will get you to lose weight for a short period of time - until you stop being on that "Diet". Changing you eating habits and diet is more what you are after.

Look into the glycemic index - it is the way many Type II diabetics are able to lose weight, become more healthy and life without daily meds. It is more about changing the way you eat and how much you eat.
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

the thing is i am not that over weight or anything i am maybe 6'2.5'' and i have very broad shoulder and stupidly long arms(my wingspan is 6'7'' 4.5 inchs to long) but i am not as cut as i want to be, i want to limit my fat intake and burn off the weight as quick as possible, i dont mind eatting cereal for a month. not like there is any better food offered at colleges
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
the thing is i am not that over weight or anything ... i want to limit my fat intake and burn off the weight as quick as possible...
So you're not overweight, but you want to burn off the weight as fast as possible? Ahhh, gotcha.

Sounds like you want to bulk up your arms/upper body to me. I'd stick with the same diet and do 100 push-ups a day for a month instead.
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
creature
2001 XJ Cherokee 

as long as you don't break above 200lbs you are actually considered normal by body mass index. How much weight do you actually want to lose?
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Eat grilled chicken breasts every day.
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i am trying to lose 5 lbs of fat, and i do severe calastics twice a week.
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

I don't know what calastics are, but ANY type of activity that raises your heartrate will require better fuel than cereal.
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #12
The Rat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
so how bad would be it if i ate only special k and total cereal. if its bad what would i need to add to my diet?
That is the absolute worst idea for a diet...ever. I'll let you get by with the ignorance excuse, but only because you're a college student. If you just ate cereal for a whole week (you'd be lucky if you made it for a week, you'd be so bored) you would notice an almost immediate change in your metabolism and chances are you wouldn't see much result as your body would be storing everything it takes in. You'd know this by the fact that you'd probably be urinating alot and not ****ting. You would probably wind up getting sick from lack of nutrients (just because Total and Special K have "essential vitamins and minerals" doesn't mean they have all of the essential vitamins and minerals).

You wanna slim down a bit and tone up? Try a high fiber breakfast (I do Kashi Cereal, GoLean! Crunch with Vanilla soy milk (8th Continent, Silk tastes like butt). For lunch go with either a salad and dressing of choice, a grilled chicken/tuna sandwich (subbing mashed avocado for mayo in the tuna is delicious, although the mayo will be good for some much needed fat calories). Don't just stick with those two options, be creative but be smart, lean meats and fish are your friends here, rice is good as well. Between lunch and dinner, have one or two snacks, your favorite fruit and Nature Valley granola bars fill this role perfectly. For dinner you can eat to your heart's content (within reason, obviously, don't go for fast food). Pasta, steak, rice, vegetables, whatever you like...just don't overindulge.

As for the actual work part of it. Run, and run alot. While you're running, vary the pace with some sprints and cool down periods, this will allow you to run for longer while at the same time building up your wind. Do few sets of pushups, situps, squats, etc. before bed.

Trust me, it won't be easy, and it takes a huge commitment on your part to keep up with it, but there will be noticable benefits within a matter of weeks (~2 weeks and you'll start to feel it) and the even greater benefit of it is that after you've done it for a while it'll all be second nature and you'll actually enjoy your routine and your eating habits.

Note: I am not a nutritionist. I do, however, follow this diet in conjunction with my training with desirable results. This isn't a fad fast weight loss diet, it's a long term change of lifestyle diet.
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #13
EagerJeeper

That diet sounds terrible. If you want to harden up you have got turn down the insulin. If you're serious about it read "The Schwarzbein Principle" by Diana Schwarzbein. Here, I'll even give you a link. This book is must read for anyone who wants the truth about food.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...nciple&z=y&r=1
EagerJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 03:01 PM   #14
WhtJeep
2008 WK 

The Rat summed it up nicely.

I finally got onto a better diet ( i use diet as my eating habits, not as a weightloss mechanism ) where I eat low fat and I have already lost close to 14 lbs and my gf has lost well over 30 just form switching what we eat. Just watch what you eat, and make INFORMED decisions. That diet will be the stupidest mistake you make in the long run.
Originally Posted by cresso
Quick dana 35 test: kick one of the rear tires. If the axle breaks, it's a 35
XboxGT - The Mad Med1c
WhtJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #15
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Edit, I was typing while rat was posting He is right on your only special k and total cereal diet idea is an utterly stupid idea. Here is some more information to help you get it all working right for you.

First, the first part of diet is die. You must eat properly or your body will get it's nutrition from somewhere. It will take calcium from your bones it will get it's protein from your muscles, etc. Take away what it needs and parts will die.

The best option would be to ensure you are eating balanced meals which includes all of the food groups. Make sure you are eating 4-6 servings of vegetables per day, 4-6 servings of fruit, 6-11 servings of grains and rice, 2-3 servings of meat, 2-3 servings of dairy, use sugars and oils very sparingly also watch your salt intake. Eat 5-6 smaller meals per day rather than 1-2 big meals. Also ensure you drink water and keep yourself well hydrated. Watch your caffeine intake.

Now the above meals should be based on your level of calories you need to eat each day. To figure the amount of calories you should eat you need to do some math. Determine your target weight and divide by 2.2 that will give you that weight in Kilograms. Multiply that number by 25. That will give you the amount of calories you need per day for weight loss. Multiply the kilos by 30 and that will give you the calories you need to maintain that weight.

Weight / 2.2 = weight in kilos (K)

K x 25 = calories needed per day for weight loss
K x 30 = calories needed to maintain weight

Now if you are going to exercise you need to determine how many calories you burn and work those into the figures.

Say you burn 500 calories working out.
weight = 200, k = weight / 2.2 = 90.9
90.9 x 25 = 2,272.5 Now you need to add the calories burned so you would need to consume 2,772.5 calories per day. That will give you an ideal weight loss while still providing for your bodies nutritional needs. When you get to the weight you want to maintain then you adjust the above to the K x 30 = calories plus calories used exercising.

The above is a basic idea of what you should pay attention to. You mention that if you don't get into the habit of being healthy you never will. You are correct you need to look at the above and start now to have a healthy lifestyle. It will help you much in the future.

As I mentioned above diet is a bad word. You should not avoid any food, it will only make you want it more and when you do finally cave and eat it you will eat way to much. You can eat everything you want to you just have to eat in moderation, and be aware of how it fits into the food groups which you need to eat to provide proper nutrition to your body. Also eating a 4000 calory prime rib dinner with a huge baked potato loaded with everything plus 10 beers is not a reason to eat nothing the next 3 days to make it right. As said above that is ok if done rarely. Just go back to your regular healthy eating the next day and be happy.

Another advantage of eating right will provide your body with the vitamins it needs so no supplements are needed.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.