Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

how do you keep trim black?

1K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  90lerado 
#1 · (Edited)
The trim on my daily driver is suppose to be black. It is turning gray or looking white... Is there a way to make it black again and keep it that way? It is a 98xj sport if that makes any difference.
Thanks.

#2 ·
Plasticote trim paint, semi-gloss black

There are other methods out these besides new paint. I have heard of heating the plastic with a heat gun and there are wipe-on products you can use. I've just repainted the flares on my XJ with the Plasticote and it's been holding up great.

#14 ·
I used Mothers on my door handles for a while and it worked fine...then I had the Jeep resprayed (Black of course) and the guy sprayed all the plastic trim to match so no more faded chalky plastic.

#15 ·
Peanut butter works because of the oils in it. Armor All works, but the chemicals in Armorall dry out plastics like crazy. ArmorAll has been described as "Heroin for plastic" meaning that once you use it, you need more.

Paint it, heat gun it (carefully) or use the mothers or mequires stuff

#16 ·
Tyler Dirden said:
Peanut butter works because of the oils in it. Armor All works, but the chemicals in Armorall dry out plastics like crazy. ArmorAll has been described as "Heroin for plastic" meaning that once you use it, you need more.

The peanut butter thing really does work well. If you dont believe me get some out of your cupboard and try a little bit on your trim somewhere 'out of the way.' It doesnt work so well if you have the chunky kind, go for creamy.

#18 ·
Tyler Dirden said:

I thought Armor All was specifically for using it on places like a dashboard so that it doesn't dry and crack. If Armor All actually dried stuff out, wouldn't that be self-defeating?

#19 ·
Jeepster Joe said:
I thought Armor All was specifically for using it on places like a dashboard so that it doesn't dry and crack. If Armor All actually dried stuff out, wouldn't that be self-defeating?
its called:
The Quick Road to More Sales - step 1 :D
oh well.. if you use it often it doesnt matter.. but those wipes do work quite well. as well as those pre-soaped wash mits from wal-mart.. 4 for $3 man those things are great! :thumbsup:

Tyler> please post the "Peanut Butter Restores Plastic" instructions. you have gotten me quite intra-gued. :laugh:

#21 ·
armor all is the spawn of satan
. it truely is heroin for plastic. it certainly looks all nice and shiny :drool: - but now my fenders are all strung out
and need some krylon rehab. (next summers first job)

DustinsCJ7 peanut butter??? I noticed you're P.O.S Jeep club member #2... is there a reason?? :D :D
sorry j/k its prolly those darn squirrels knawing on your fenders :laugh:

-mike

#22 ·
Get some creamy peanut butter doesnt matter which kind im sure and use something softer than the plastic to spread it on so you dont scratch it if you care or just be real careful with a putty knife or something. Your fingers work as well :cool: Let it sit a few minutes and they wipe it off or wash it off. The oils from the peanuts with really help with shinning up your plastics.

When your done you could even scrape it off with some crackers or celery and eat up :thumbsup:

Im telling you people try it in an inconspicuous spot and let everyone else know how it worked(since no one believes me).

#23 ·
DustinsCJ7 said:
Get some creamy peanut butter doesnt matter which kind im sure and use something softer than the plastic to spread it on so you dont scratch it if you care or just be real careful with a putty knife or something. Your fingers work as well :cool: Let it sit a few minutes and they wipe it off or wash it off. The oils from the peanuts with really help with shinning up your plastics.

When your done you could even scrape it off with some crackers or celery and eat up :thumbsup:

Im telling you people try it in an inconspicuous spot and let everyone else know how it worked(since no one believes me).
it also doubles as a snack on the trails, specially when your stuck, take all thr crackers the kids in the back seat spilled all over the place, and when your wheelin and you get stuck, go out and start eatin!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.