How do you gauge interest for a sale? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-01-2008, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Marn
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

How do you gauge interest for a sale?

I'm thinking about selling my jeep, not for a few months, but still. How do you gauge interest with something like this? Would it be a really **** move to put it on craigslist and then when people call or email tell them you have a buyer lined up, or some other excuse, just to see how many offers you get?

If that isn't cool, how do you find out? When It comes time to sell, I'm not going to be in a position where I can just hope it sells, it'll have to be sold by a certain date.

Advice?

-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
----- The Camper Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-01-2008, 12:25 AM
waterboarder

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I'm thinking about selling my jeep, not for a few months, but still. How do you gauge interest with something like this?
Place an ad stating price you want for the item you have and see who responds.

Quote:
Would it be a really **** move to put it on craigslist and then when people call or email tell them you have a buyer lined up, or some other excuse, just to see how many offers you get?
Yes, this is lame and dishonest. How would you feel if you were the one being lied to?

Quote:
If that isn't cool, how do you find out? When It comes time to sell, I'm not going to be in a position where I can just hope it sells, it'll have to be sold by a certain date.
Place an ad stating the item you have and the price you want and see if there are any takers.

If you prefer, you can tell callers that they are welcome to come take a look but advise them that they cannot take delivery until X date (this is done with houses all the time). This is a perfectly reasonable thing to do and totally honest.

If you want to be a little more sleezy about it, wait until they come take a look first - of course you risk wasting a lot of their time and yours.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-01-2008, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Marn
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdog View Post
Place an ad stating price you want for the item you have and see who responds.

Yes, this is lame and dishonest. How would you feel if you were the one being lied to?

Place an ad stating the item you have and the price you want and see if there are any takers.

If you prefer, you can tell callers that they are welcome to come take a look but advise them that they cannot take delivery until X date (this is done with houses all the time). This is a perfectly reasonable thing to do and totally honest.

If you want to be a little more sleezy about it, wait until they come take a look first - of course you risk wasting a lot of their time and yours.
So it's aite to place an add, but not aite to tell them they cant have it?

But then you say it's aite to place an add, but tell them they cant have it when they ask? You seem fairly contradictory here.

-Andrew

The Beast Build Thread:

post #4 of 9 Old 04-01-2008, 12:32 AM
waterboarder

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So it's aite to place an add, but not aite to tell them they cant have it?

But then you say it's aite to place an ad, but tell them they cant have it when they ask? You seem fairly contradictory here.
I dunno what "aite" is - but I don't believe I contradicted myself at all.

What I said was to place an ad and see if anyone is interested. If they are interested, have them come over and if they want to buy whatever your item is, then sell it to them. Cash exchanging hands is a pretty good way to gauge someone's interest in buying an item.

If you're not prepared to sell them the item when you place the ad, when they call, do not lie to them and make some **** up, but tell them you want to sell the item but you can't be without it until X date, and if they are OK with that, then come have a look at the item. This lets you gauge interest level and you haven't lied to them about anything by making some crap up.

If you don't want to do that, then you can hold back this information until they come look at the item (note: most people are going to lose interest when you do this).

Now, if X date is some far off date in the future (say more than 2 months), then I wouldn't bother placing the ad at all.

Seems like you want the best of both worlds - being able to sell your Jeep at the last minute, without taking the risk that comes with trying to do so. Generally, not a great way to go. Some alternatives are to sell it as soon as someone wants to buy it, and then rent it back from them for X period of time, or get a rental car, or take the bus, or some other such thing.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-01-2008, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Marn
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdog View Post
Now, if X date is some far off date in the future (say more than 2 months), then I wouldn't bother placing the ad at all.
We're talking July here, probably. I don't want to be in the position where I put my jeep up for sale, have plane tickets to go home and buy my mother's car, but then It doesn't sell in the month before my flight. It would go up for sale in june, most likely, but I'm wondering if there is any way to see what one could get for it in advance.

-Andrew

The Beast Build Thread:

post #6 of 9 Old 04-01-2008, 12:38 AM
waterboarder

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
We're talking July here, probably. I don't want to be in the position where I put my jeep up for sale, have plane tickets to go home and buy my mother's car, but then It doesn't sell in the month before my flight. It would go up for sale in june, most likely, but I'm wondering if there is any way to see what one could get for it in advance.
Oh, I see. Well, like I said - put the item and price in the add, say "call for details". When they call for details, tell them you want to sell and will sell with cash in hand, with the provision that you can't give it up until June or whatever.

You could also take it to a dealer and see what they will offer you for it.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-01-2008, 07:00 AM
EvilM0nkey

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I always look on ebay for what I want to sell and 1. see how many of those items are on there and 2. see how many bids are on the item and how high the price is.
That's usually a pretty good gauge on the market

-Ross
post #8 of 9 Old 04-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Jetscuh
O rly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinRoss View Post
I always look on ebay for what I want to sell and 1. see how many of those items are on there and 2. see how many bids are on the item and how high the price is.
That's usually a pretty good gauge on the market
I do the same thing when I sell something. Browse other websites and see what they are selling for, what people are getting, and what the demand seems to be. Jeeps seem to sell quick around here, that's for sure. Not many Jeep stealerships around at all. So the wranglers go flying off used car lots and/or peoples driveways (private sales).
post #9 of 9 Old 04-01-2008, 10:00 AM
97Xj_Sport

definantly try Ebay and just put a reserve on it when ever you do sell it.

97 XJ 2 door sport- 3" Rusty's lift, 31" MTR's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.