how do i become a park ranger?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > how do i become a park ranger??

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
headstrong50
1993 YJ Wrangler 

how do i become a park ranger??

i am very interested in becoming a park ranger. I am a senior in highschool in my second semester and have yet to apply for college. i have always loved the outdoors and nature, but dont know where to start looking for a college or university that offers courses in becoming a park ranger. i have a counselor at school that is there to help me find a college that offers what i need, but its the weekend and i would like to try and find some information on my own. i have looked into N.O.L.S. (national outdoor leadership school) but to my knowledge, you would go there and the college/university that you are attending. i am feeling very overwhelmed and am wondering if anyone out on J.F. can help me out.

Unread 01-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
KMET
2006 LJ Wrangler 

kill yogi bear?

o6 LJ see profile...
KMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
rosco1

as in forest service? go to there web site or go to your closest ranger station. if you want to be a forest cop, they have them too, but thats a whole different job
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
GREASEMONKEY
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It makes a difference if you are talking federal, state, or local. Federal, and most state rangers are gonna be law enforcement officers + the duties of a ranger. The local level is more of a biologist, and in some places another name for a gardener!
I have a friend that's a park ranger at the state level, but it's a small park, so no law enforcement is needed.
There are several ways to get into the field, and the field covers a great deal of different specialties!
Taking any advanced biology course is a big plus no matter what part of the field you are looking for.

Good Luck
My Ammo Can Console
------------------------------------------------------
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
GREASEMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
plunn84
1996 XJ Cherokee 

USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site search for "ranger"

Qualifications will be listed in the job descriptions. I recommend you start there if you REALLY want to be a park ranger.
plunn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #6
rosco1

fed jobs are highly competitive to get in. great benefits though
Unread 01-30-2010, 05:40 AM   #7
RUparrothead
1980 J-Series Truck 

get a bachelors degree in parks and recreation, then apply for jobs.
Unread 01-30-2010, 06:01 AM   #8
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUparrothead View Post
get a bachelors degree in parks and recreation, then apply for jobs.
That sounds like the kinda degree I want...

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
scooter
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kyle_ View Post
Tell that the the Ranger Gals & guys cleaning the honeyhuts at Pismo dunes.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Tell that the the Ranger Gals & guys cleaning the honeyhuts at Pismo dunes.
Don't think they are rangers probably a site host that does that at least that's the way I have seen it at every other park I have been to.

Best thing would be to go to a headquarters and talk with the people there. Most are helpful and willing to talk about how to become a ranger on the level they are. They will also give pointers to what degrees and background are helpful.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
abnormal
Platinum Member

1996 XJ Cherokee 

This is my kinda job but I cant take that big of a paycut.

Cape Lookout National Seashore preserves 56 miles of North Carolina's Outer Banks which includes a lighthouse, wild horses, and two historic villages. Most of the park is located on three barrier islands accessible only by boat.

That usually means you get a truck and boat!

USAJOBS - Search Jobs
Unread 01-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #12
RUparrothead
1980 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kyle_ View Post
That's the degree I have. Graduated from Radford (RU) in 04 with the bachelors in parks, recreation, and tourism management. I followed the tourism side more than the parks side though.
Unread 01-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #13
JeeperAbe

a lot of the western states like montana colorado state etc have forestry and parks type programs where you will actually go out in the mountains and do training/work etc.
Unread 01-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #14
semikrazy
1976 CJ5 

I volunteered at Lake Mead for the NPS Park Rangers. There were two types, Law enforcement and interp. The law enforcement did just that, patroled by boat, plane, car, and 4x4 and ran the fire dept. The interp delt with vistors either guided tours, run info centers and campgrounds. I will tell you this that it is a very political game they play. A lot of Rangers volunteered while going to school for a better chance to get in. Most still did not make it and went on to do something else. Even a few who did make it just used the park service as a stepping stone to the FBI.
I did not volunteer to become a Ranger, I did it for the excitement and adventure. Like stopping a plane while in a boat, having to babysit 83 LSU sorority girls on spring break, finding a governors son who was going to kill himself before he had the chance to do it, saved a few lives, and so much more.
semikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #15
IDK

If you get in the Forest Service, push for the reopening of thousands of closed-to-Jeeps and other full size 4x4's in Montana. I have to get a dirt bike now just so I can ride on trails that I used to be able to drive my Jeep on, the Forest Service closes more up every year but still allows dirt bike and ATV traffic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.