How bad is rust in MA from road salt? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > How bad is rust in MA from road salt?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

How bad is rust in MA from road salt?

I'm looking at purchasing a Nissan Maxima that the dealer purchased from an auction. The car fax shows the car came from Boston Massachusets. Its a 2002 with 42,000 miles on it, but the radiator mounts and all the bolts under the hood are all rusting already. We use a fair amount of salt in the winter here in ND and MN but I've never seen rust like this.

Do cars in MA rust out very early? Is this a vehicle I need to stay away from? Its tempting because its about $3,000 cheaper than a local car. But I don't know if I will have body rust and other problems with it in the future.

So please give me your thoughts. Especially those in MA. Is the rust from the road salt in the winter or is it from the Nor'easters and salt from the Atlantic in the air? Will this car have body problems too or will the problems be contained under the hood?

2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
KMcNaught
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've never had a problem with rust to the point the vehicle became unusable. I wouldn't say they "rust out" easy but surface rust is something every car will develope on the undercarriage and around the bolts and whatnot after a few winters. The only people who have trouble with cars rusting out are the police because they're ALWAYS on the road. My town is actually in the process of replacing the Crown Vics with the Dodge Charger Police Package.
Unread 01-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Dude, the Charger police packages are bad! The town of Vance has them here, and they look great with blacked out windows, black steelies, and no lightbar!
Here's a Magnum:

Charger:

The ones in Vance have black steelies and blacked out windows with no lightbars or anything.
Unread 01-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcNaught
I've never had a problem with rust to the point the vehicle became unusable. I wouldn't say they "rust out" easy but surface rust is something every car will develope on the undercarriage and around the bolts and whatnot after a few winters. The only people who have trouble with cars rusting out are the police because they're ALWAYS on the road. My town is actually in the process of replacing the Crown Vics with the Dodge Charger Police Package.
No I suppose even with rust the vehicle is usable. I like to keep my vehicles a long time though. And I don't like rusty vehicles. I'd like to hang onto it for about 10 years. So I don't want to see body rust starting in the next couple of years. I just got scared when I saw the rust under the hood. I didn't know if thats common over there or not. Or how much problems you had with rust. So any other comment are welcome.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
HawkeyeWJ

Here is my car I bought brand new last year while living in the Boston area:

I know, nobody likes a wise-***

2002 WJ 4.7 Limited
Onyx Green Pearl
HawkeyeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
90lerado

cars dont rust out in MA. they come pre rusted from the factory. for some reason car companies selling cars in MA think its funny to rust-weld every single nut,bolt,and screw on the cars. except of course any welded nut, those spin freely.

Wife's/my vehicle: 06 Pontiac vibe awd
Hopefully a jeep sometime in the future
90lerado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
Rule303
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would never buy any vehicle from the rust belt. Its the electrical connections that really get screwed up.
Rule303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
Chris_Ryan
2002 TJ Wrangler 

eh... I had a couple of older cars and I have never had one rust out...

EC4WDA Region D Schedule 2008
- Who says there is nowhere to run in New England and New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBulletin Message
Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.
Chris_Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2007, 03:24 AM   #9
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

i'm from there as well. i had a couple of spots to bondo at the bottom of the drivers side door, and replace the rear bumper on a 1982 chevy custom 10 and it's still running now. it makes frequent trips from the NH border to Outer Cape Cod.
it depends on the owner. if they took care of it, you're good.
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

Brew what you drink, drink what you brew

USN Hull number 54
Poor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2007, 08:46 AM   #10
table
2000 WJ 

I can't believe how much salt they put down on the roads in Mass. I was up there just before the new year when they got about 1 - 2". The salt trucks went by my in-laws 3 times, on full spray. It was nuts. Heard about increasing salinity of our freshwater lakes and reservoirs? - There's part of the problem.

Father in-law went on to say if someone gets in an accident on the roads in snow/ice/sleet, in Mass, they can sue the Dept. of Transportation for not clearing the roads good enough. That true?
Unread 01-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #11
Sh4dowRac3r
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i had a yj rust out on me. eventually the exhaust had nothing to bolt to and fell, leaned against my driveshaft, causing this obnoxiously loud clanking noise. the body was rusted really bad too, i might have a pic....

my parents should have looked it over b4 they bought it for 1800. as soon as we got it I had to replace the rear end costing me 800 ugh. but i cant say it didnt lead me into getting another jeep. lol

edit: found it

2001 Flame Red Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5Spd
Red Jeep Club Member 531
Sh4dowRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #12
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsip
Father in-law went on to say if someone gets in an accident on the roads in snow/ice/sleet, in Mass, they can sue the Dept. of Transportation for not clearing the roads good enough. That true?
i've never heard about it, but i wouldn't doubt it....i know you can claim an 18 wheeler picked up a rock and cracked your windshield and get it replaced for free by the DoT there...
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

Brew what you drink, drink what you brew

USN Hull number 54
Poor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #13
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I can't believe how much salt they put down on the roads in Mass. I was up there just before the new year when they got about 1 - 2". The salt trucks went by my in-laws 3 times, on full spray. It was nuts. Heard about increasing salinity of our freshwater lakes and reservoirs? - There's part of the problem.

Yeah I've been hearing this a lot as I look into this car from out there. I really don't want to have to deal with rust of any kind. So I may pass on this car. But its about $3000 less than comparable cars so its still dang tempting. But like my brother said, if dealer is selling it so cheap there is a reason. They don't give cars away. But I'd appreciate any other MA salt stories to help confirm my decision.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #14
BGarner
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It is retarded how much salt they use here. Luckily whenever I'm in duty I pull my jeep in the heated bay with the cruisers and give it a bath to get all the salt off of it so I can minimize the rust issue.

The magnum police package is pretty sweet, we're lookin at a charger hopefully in the next year or two
Unread 01-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #15
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Get the right jury and lawyer and anything is possible.

Although over here Washington State Patrol will give you a ticket for driving to fast for conditions. Or if they want they can do driving neglance or reckless driving.

Support Search and Rescue
Get Lost
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.