House heating and cooling question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > House heating and cooling question

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 01-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
Jeeper4life88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

House heating and cooling question

So recently I heard this noise coming from the garage, where my furnace is located. I checked it out and noticed it was some kinda water pump that was running and running. Got on the inter web and researched things a bit. Found out it was pump that moves condensation water. They are used when there is no near by drain to get rid of it. Its the copper line you see in the photo. Well I traced it and it goes up in the attic and towards the back of the house. I couldn't trace where it ends because it runs under insolation. I mean I could of but I didn't feel like slipping and falling thru the celling at 10 at night. I'm thinking the line may be frozen, that or just clogged, as it was also spilling water out of the drain pan because it couldn't pump the water anywhere. So for the time being I have just been routing it to this bucket since it really doesn't produce that much water.

Now my question is, this outside A/C unit that only gets used in the summer, it doesn't use that dump water for anything does it? The copper line doesn't look like it goes in the direction of the unit out back but I don't know for sure as maybe it bends somewhere under the insolation and down to it. We have been only using the heat and so far with this set up everything has been getting along fine. However when I switch it over to a/c if the line is still jacked up and I end up routing it else where I don't want to run something dry that needs the water..

thanks for any help guys!

2004 Jeep Liberty- BFG A/T's and some skid's and tow hooks, otherwise pretty much stock.
Jeeper4life88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Your bucket solution is fine. It is just condensation and just gets dumped to waste.
Unread 01-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

If you think the lines on the condensation pump are clogged /frozen disconnect both ends (if you can find where it dumps into ) and run some wire ,maybe compressed air or something through it to clear it , if its ice get a source of heat to melt it of course then reconnect . Its perfectly normal for your furnace to produce water (pulls water out of the air) as it acts like a dehumidifier of sorts while heating . The looks of your a/c looks as if its a normal a/c so it is similar to our jeeps except the house uses R134a or some newer stuff so it will produce slight condensation but nothing to cause any issues outside of the system itself .

The only use of water i know of for cooling a house is geothermal heating/cooling (pipes buried under ground to grab heat/cooler temps out of the ground) but it doesn't apply here in this case
Soldier905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It is a condensate pump. I couldn't tell by the pics of your furnace but if it is a high efficiency gas burner you will get some water in it from the furnace. If it is electric or heat pump you shouldn't be getting any water out of it during heating season.
Back to a gas furnace. Unless you run it 24/7 you shouldn't see more than a gallon or so a week and your bucket solution will work fine until the thaw. Once good weather hits and definitely BEFORE A/C season trace out the condensate line to figure where the stoppage is. I have mine run out to our koi pond but I ran my in laws to a drain line in the basement. that way it stays in conditioned spaces and doesn't leave a swamp spot anywhere around the house.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.