Horror Stories... Help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Horror Stories... Help?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
rickwhitrock
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Horror Stories... Help?

The main purpose of this thread, I guess, is venting - so I thought I'd start it off by saying feel free to post your horror stories below. I'm going to post mine, and if anyone can help, that would be awesome. If not, well, at least I got to vent.

So, I just bought a 1996 Jeep Cherokee that I found on Craigslist (warning flag 1). My sister in law (who is 22 and just starting out) had her car completely die on her about a month after moving to Virginia for work... where she has no family, no friends, and no alternate transportation. Has been having to get rides to/from work with her boss (which is always awesome). Anyway, because I'm a sucker for helping people, I was looking for something I could buy and send her way to help her out. Enter Craigslist and the Jeep (which, I'm thinking I will rename Tom, after Tom Hanks, who starred in Money Pit... hello, Foreshadowing).

Anyway, I show up to look at the Jeep, and it's in really good condition. All the electrics work, the guy who had it before me took good care of it and even did a few pieces of custom work (nothing major, just exhaust and a few other minor things). The car was clearly loved. It was listed for $1500. Any car that old and listed that low should have some problems, so when I test drove it and noticed a few things, I wasn't too worried. The brakes needed work, the shocks were done, the front driver's seat had a small tear, and the engine thermostat wouldn't read (warning flag 2). I look under the hood, can't see anything overtly wrong, but see a loose wire (warning flag 3). The engine sounded great, though, had no problems in performance (for a car that old), and the tires were in good shape, so we ended up settling for $1200. I'm excited. I like this. This is a Good Day. This is also where Good Day takes off the mask Mission: Impossible style, and reveals that he was Bad Day all along, drenched in Satan's sweaty funk and just waiting for his opportunity.

It's raining pretty heavily, and because I drive a stick but the person I brought along to drive the car back in case I bought it can't drive stick, she (my little sister) would have to drive Tom back. In the rain. With no working brakes. So, instead, I bring it straight to a brake shop and spend $300 bucks to get them done. The Brake shop was like 1/4 mile from where I bought it, and no problem to get it there. From the Brake shop, we're going to drive two miles to AutoZone where I can get spark plugs and wires for some basic tune up work.

The car dies before it even gets there. In fact, it dies first at the intersection in front of the autozone, then the driver (my sister) gets it to restart so we can get into the parking lot, and it dies again in a cloud of white explosion when the lower radiator hose bursts from the overheating.

It spent all day, overnight, and most of the next ,day in that parking lot while we tried to get it limping back to my house, which was still 25 miles away. We get it, after much sweat, tears, and words that would make a sailor blush and probably tempted the wrath of the Almighty, we get it running (new radiator hoses, new thermostat, new thermostat housing, gasket, etc.). It makes it to my place no problem.

Next morning, I start it to go get some gas, and it does nothing but billow white smoke out the exaust, and overheats on the way. I bring it to my mechanic, who is awesome, reasonably priced, and honest. Worth his weight in gold. Oh, it overheated and died in front of his shop, so we have to push it in.

I just got back from him looking: needs a new engine. Quoted $5,000.00, as an estimate. The rebuilt engine alone is running $2,700.00. Did I mention that my wife and I are teachers, and the whole reason we were even looking at cars this cheap was because this was all we could afford?

So, now I have new problems. Between the leaking head gasket, the blown 3 and 4 cylinders (3 even has those awesome metal shavings everyone loves), the now-leaking radiator, and I'm-sure-there-were-more-problems-but-I-couldn't-hear-them-over-my-soul-sobbing, what I seem to have is a large, attractive looking, well-maintained $1800 paperweight that I could sell to a scrap yard for $400. Unless someone on here knows where I can find a 4.0 L 6 cylinder engine that would work for a LOT less in Houston, TX. Or someone profoundly undervaluing their time offers to do an engine swap for a case of beer or something (I don't drink, but I hear those are valuable to people who do).

Either way, 5 days into owning this car and I'm already having to seriously consider taking a 4 digit loss. So, that's my horror story - anyone else want to share?

rickwhitrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
bobjp

A trustworthy mechanic would not quote $5,000 in work to a $1500 vehicle.

4.0L's are EVERYWHERE. Go find a used one for under $700.
Unread 06-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
rickwhitrock
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The mechanic said that was how much it would cost to fix, and recommended I not do the work. In fact, he recommended that, since I can't do the labor myself, I sell it to someone who can or a scrap yard.
Unread 06-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
Caboose89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My Horror story:

Was having carb problems last year. I was pulled over on a road with a slight hill. My throttle had stuck so I had it pulled over to adjust out my idle and choke screws, unfortunately I didn't have a screw driver with me so I grabbed my keys and used them to reset the screws. The jeep then started to slowly roll so I threw it in first gear and slammed the e brake in. got back out to finish the minor adjustment. After I was done with the hood still popped I leaned in and started the jeep. (WHILE IT WAS IN GEAR). Normally the jeep would do the usual lurch forward and die because the clutch wasn't engaged. However. It turns out that my idle screws were not the reason my throttle was stuck. I later found out that my fuel cable had snapped somehow in the full bore position and that was what was causing the throttle issue. In a hurry, and needing to be somewhere other than pulled over on the side of the road again I failed to notice this devastating detail. When I leaned in to start the jeep it did not just lurch forward and die. It lurched several times until the throttle stuck once again, and took off. I immediately tried getting back in the jeep but was so surprised I had no luck. It then ran over my foot as I was trying to get in the jeep and proceeded afterward to climb a curb and hit a telephone pull head on at about 20. It was ugly. It had hit the front stinger and then unfortunately slid off and proceeded to hit the passenger fender. Which then bent back and shoved my battery tray through my firewall, and destroyed the cowling in the process. It was a bad day to say the least. Took me a year to get the frame straightened and a new body from a 95 yj put back on. But I figured, why stop there? Since it was already in the shop I figured I might as well take advantage of an unfortunate situation. Did an SOA lift, high steer, flat fenders, SYE, ladder bar, CV driveshaft…..the whole nine! Now she is better than before! But I would never want to go through that again.
Unread 06-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #5
bobjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwhitrock View Post
The mechanic said that was how much it would cost to fix, and recommended I not do the work. In fact, he recommended that, since I can't do the labor myself, I sell it to someone who can or a scrap yard.
I bet you could get a mechanic to put a used engine in for $1800. May still not be appealing to you, but much less than $5000.
Unread 06-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #6
rickwhitrock
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Finding the engine is a bigger problem, actually. There are so many of these Jeeps still on the road that the people who own them are either a)not selling the engines because they are still using the car or b)in the market for the used engines themselves, because theirs have so many miles on them. I'm still looking, though; maybe I'll get lucky.
Unread 06-27-2014, 11:06 PM   #7
rickwhitrock
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Caboose - yeah, that's a horror story all right. I had a similar one with a go-kart set to full throttle (you had the set the brake before starting it, lawn mower pull style, then jump in before it overcame the brake), and it drug my friend who forgot to set the brake before starting a good hundred yards before it popped a curb and died. I can only imagine how much scarier it would be with a full size vehicle, especially a wrangler. Good hindsight story, though.
Unread 06-28-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
bobjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwhitrock View Post
Finding the engine is a bigger problem, actually. There are so many of these Jeeps still on the road that the people who own them are either a)not selling the engines because they are still using the car or b)in the market for the used engines themselves, because theirs have so many miles on them. I'm still looking, though; maybe I'll get lucky.
Did you actually call different junk yards?

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/sear...erPage=1&iKey=

Some on Craigslist:
http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/4525664894.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/ptd/4478460624.html

Ask your mechanic how much he would charge for labor to install an engine that you go pick up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.