home depot (rant) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > home depot (rant)

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-24-2002, 06:06 AM   #1
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

home depot (rant)

This weekend I lost a castellated nut that connects my sway bar links on. I go to home depot and after searching, I find the drawer that they are in. There are none in there for 1/2 inch. I track down one of the guys and ask for help in this department. He calls over "Charles". Well Charles looks like hes having a bad day and that I am really annoying him with my pathetic question:

"Do you stock this part in the back?"

He scratches his head and looks around in deep concentration and replies

"No, we only carry about 3 per bin and it looks like they are all gone."

I said:

"You mean to tell me for the Thousands of people in the city of Alexandria, you keep a bench stock of 3? What if I need 4?"

He tells me to try another store. I did, Lowes had them in stock, but only like 3.

Moral of the story: If you live in the Washington DC metro area don't go to Home Depot or Lowes in Alexandria to get a 1/2 inch castellated nut. I bought all 3.

04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2002, 06:43 AM   #2
ooze

Also don't call these places to ask if they carry this, or that. they don't have a clue.
ooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2002, 07:22 AM   #3
'drack

Yeah it sux eggs. The problem is that these chains buy out all the smaller competition and become the only game in town . Last year I replaced the flooring in my kitchen and went to pick up the stuff. Wife had picked out a style she liked and made arrangements to pick it up on Saturday. I get a pu truck and head up to the store. Stand around for a good 20 minutes til someone was gracious enough to help us spend our money only to find out there wasn't enough on the roll(vinyl flooring). Well we knew this already because the other dude earlier in the week confirmed that there was a brand new full roll in the back. SO GET IT! Well it's Saturday and we're kinda busy and I'm pretty much a lazy *** making minimum wage. After "expressing" my point of view on the matter he told up to come back in a half hour and it'd be ready, great another half hour. So it's gonna take me an hour so far just to get the damn floor(not to mention the "speedy" check out aisles). Like I said, if it wasn't the only game in town, I don't think I'd been as "polite" as I was. But what're ya gonna do ????

Keith
Unread 04-24-2002, 03:04 PM   #4
AllanAlxndr

quote:
Originally posted by 'drack:
Yeah it sux eggs. The problem is that these chains buy out all the smaller competition and become the only game in town . Last year I replaced the flooring in my kitchen and went to pick up the stuff. Wife had picked out a style she liked and made arrangements to pick it up on Saturday. I get a pu truck and head up to the store. Stand around for a good 20 minutes til someone was gracious enough to help us spend our money only to find out there wasn't enough on the roll(vinyl flooring). Well we knew this already because the other dude earlier in the week confirmed that there was a brand new full roll in the back. SO GET IT! Well it's Saturday and we're kinda busy and I'm pretty much a lazy *** making minimum wage. After "expressing" my point of view on the matter he told up to come back in a half hour and it'd be ready, great another half hour. So it's gonna take me an hour so far just to get the damn floor(not to mention the "speedy" check out aisles). Like I said, if it wasn't the only game in town, I don't think I'd been as "polite" as I was. But what're ya gonna do ????

Keith

Damn Guy Probably drove a Honda too... [Wink]

Allan

*'90 Wrangler*
*4 Banger*
*6" of lift, (4" suspension, 2" body)*
*33" ATs on Outlaw II's*
*Pioneer DEH3500/CD deck*
*1800WATT Amp w/ Custom Box*
*2 - 8" Rockford Fosgate HEs*
*Cobra 18WXSTII w/ 4' Firestik Antenna*

Member of Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
AllanAlxndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2002, 05:38 PM   #5
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wait...who's making the minumum wage?

I still love my local hardware stores...
Alheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2002, 05:43 PM   #6
'drack

quote:
Originally posted by Alheim:
I still love my local hardware stores...

Ditto, but they're becoming a rarity in these parts .

Keith
Unread 04-24-2002, 06:38 PM   #7
RustyCJ8

Tell me about it.I used to work at a county post till they went belly up.I really liked my job...now there's just ace(ok but exppensive) and do-it center(sux).unemployment sux too.it all sux..well 'xept jeeps [Wink]
-James
Unread 04-25-2002, 01:18 PM   #8
4wheeler4CJ

Home Depot does certainly suck bigtime. AND, they are very expensive! I have actually done my own little studies when I do big projects around the house. I make a quantity list, and price it all out at Home Depot, and then I fax it to places that deal specially in what I am doing, i.e. plumbing, etc. I have found, on average, that the specialty places, with all of their expertise and professional advice to boot, are 30% lower on their bottom line prices for a job!

What I have found is that, besides carrying extremely low quality items (lumber, damaged packages, etc.), Home Depot may charge a little bit less on a large-ticket item than someone else, but then they nickel&dime you to death on everything else you need to finish the project (plumbing fittings, joist hangers, nails, screws, etc.).

And, so, they attract this country's DUMBED DOWN population, who never stop and add 2+2 (or get 5 when they do), and try to put other small mom&pop stores out of business.

However, I continue to refuse going there, and support the "small" guys, because they are what this country is founded on, and they are the ones providing the majority of the "good" local jobs (plus, they are CHEAPER in most cases, and carry QUALITY goods!) [Wink]

End of my rant!
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2002, 02:59 PM   #9
nels666

Let this be a lesson to everone out there don't support huge corporate chains. Not just hardware stores, but any kind of Megamart. The ma and pop stores (you know the ones that actually know a thing or two and give two *& %#s about thier cusomers) are becoming few and far between and it sucks!! Don't shop at the corporate bastard stores -- It only shows them that you support their corrupt ways. They might be cheap now but when Wal-mart is the last store in the world, you can bet their prices will be outrageous.
nels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2002, 05:47 AM   #10
4wheeler4CJ

quote:
Originally posted by nels666:
Let this be a lesson to everone out there don't support huge corporate chains. Not just hardware stores, but any kind of Megamart. The ma and pop stores (you know the ones that actually know a thing or two and give two *& %#s about thier cusomers) are becoming few and far between and it sucks!! Don't shop at the corporate bastard stores -- It only shows them that you support their corrupt ways. They might be cheap now but when Wal-mart is the last store in the world, you can bet their prices will be outrageous.

And the sad thing is, they aren't even cheap still, around here, LOL, most (Home Depot, BJ's, Sam's Club) have already raised their prices higher than Mom & Pop (the ones that are left)! AND People STILL shop there! They are blind to the fact that they are paying MORE for LESS!

It's like beating your head against the wall when trying to talk to these people. While I continue to pay less (or even the same) for better quality merchandise at local businesses, they still mindlessly go to the big stores. It's like they are programmed like robots. [Frown]
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2002, 08:23 AM   #11
damonejeep

AtRoPiNe,

Where in Alexandria do you live? I to live there and would like to know which stores to stay away from.

We should get together some time and hit the trails.
94 4.0L YJ, 31x10.5 ProComp MT's, 3.5" BDS, lockers and 4:56 gears to come!
damonejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2002, 12:15 PM   #12
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I live near Ft Belvior, the home depot on Rt 1 is the one that I went to... completely useless!!! NAPA on Rt 1 in front of the new federal building has just about everything I need -good buisness there.

hell yeah, shoot me an email whenever you want to go wheeling. My Jeep should be back on its wheels today
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.