Help me pick a DD! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Help me pick a DD!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Body Mounted Tire CarrierBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 11-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
wjjeep3932
2001 WJ 

Help me pick a DD!

I need to get a new DD for the wife to drive 60 miles round trip to work and me to drive sometimes also for work, trips, when the jeep is being worked on or broken from wheeling, ect. We have been with just the XJ for awhile and while I love the cheap insurance and no payment sharing a vehicle is getting annoying, plus can't lift or wheel the XJ while its the main mode of transportation for us both. First option is a Honda Civic, 2000-2004 with lower miles (100k or so). Second is really any Honda product that is good on gas, accord, civic, ect. Maybe a toyota econobox or a small ford. Want something good on gas and cheap as its just a daily beater for the 60 mile commute to work for the wife and around town work for me, and to take on trips we wanna save gas on. Both me and the wife obviously prefer driving the XJ when we can. Leaning toward the Civic cause we had one before for a daily beater. What would you buy if you had 5k max to spend?

wjjeep3932 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Ford Focus
Ford Fiesta

Not on your list: Chevy Cobalt or Cruze. If considering hybrid, then I like the Ford Fusion or Chevy Volt.

Disclaimer: I don't like Asian cars or putting more imports on the road (regardless of assembly location and content), so not going to advocate for them.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
YnotJ92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Dont go American. For $5k, id say a Civic is a good option.
YnotJ92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
cLuTcH-I-NiNjA
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would recommend staying away from a cobalt. We have an 07 that was a rebuild but every time I am searching anything about it I find a lot of issues.

Last edited by cLuTcH-I-NiNjA; 11-10-2014 at 01:18 PM..
cLuTcH-I-NiNjA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #5
digitalcox
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Within that price range, scope out late 90's Civis or even early 00 VW TDi's.
Unread 11-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #6
nwiTJdave

A Prius. Laugh all you want, but you will spend about 30 a week on gas driving 300 miles a week. I honestly loved my prius.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
wjjeep3932
2001 WJ 

Thanks for the input. It will most likely be a civic, in my area you can get an 04-05 with around 100k for $5000. Prius is out of my price range plus I don't want a hybrid. I would love to go American made, but I don't think that people who buy domestic realize were the vehicles are made and who the money will actually go to, plus I do not know of a domestic brand that makes an econobox that can compare with toyota and honda in reliability. I have also thought about a nissian there are a few of those cheap around here. Also open to odd ball gas savers, I think there was a guy on here with a 90s ford something that got like 40 mpg and he paid like 1k for it.
Unread 11-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
wjjeep3932
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcox View Post
Within that price range, scope out late 90's Civis or even early 00 VW TDi's.
I have looked at the TDI, my wife would love one she wants an oil burner to be all eco friendly and what not, but how is the reliability on them? I would personally prefer the TDI to. A friend has a Jetta but its the gas motor so doesn't compare.
Unread 11-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Careful with the 01-05 civics, especially with a higher mileage one since the headgaskets can leak and it is a known problem. I had an 01 EX that ran great until you tried to drive it on a long trip, where exhaust gases from a headgasket leak would force it to dump the coolant out of the reservoir and cause overheating. Driving easy around town I could go for months without adding coolant as the level stayed the same.

I traded it in on the Wrangler I have today in 2011, would have kept it as it was maintained well otherwise by me and the previous owner but I didn't feel confident in it anymore. Never had a problem on 2000 or earlier ones though but the 01 turned me off to civics. I'd go with an older Corolla myself.
06philaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #10
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

Depending on if you get any kind of winter weather you may look into a subaru. I had an impreza wagon for a while and it was an excellent little car.
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #11
YnotJ92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Good call^
Unread 11-16-2014, 04:15 AM   #12
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep3932 View Post
I have looked at the TDI, my wife would love one she wants an oil burner to be all eco friendly and what not, but how is the reliability on them? I would personally prefer the TDI to. A friend has a Jetta but its the gas motor so doesn't compare.
My son has an 03 Jetta. Probably one of the best vehicles I have driven. 50MPG and super comfortable. He has put over 30K on it running from FT Lewis to Southern Oregon.
The thing has the performance of a gas engine with the economy of a hybrid. No cats, DEF, or other emissions to deal with.
Personally, I like the feel of European auto's much better than the Japanese cars. They have a heavier, more solid feel.
The big issues with them is the cam belt replacement, which can cost anywhere from 300 to 900 bucks, depending on who you go to. This is, of course, periodic maintenance on any OHC engine, however, European cars need to be checked with a computer program, which means you either have to purchase it or take the car to a mechanic.
(BTW, we are planning on looking into getting one when I get back, turning in the 01 civic we currently have).
jeepdaddy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #13
95ZeeJay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've had a Cobalt since 2007. The biggest issue I've had is that I'm just tired of lookin' at it. Got some sort of evap/emissions thing giving me a CEL right now, but the car is 7 years old- I think it's due, LOL
52 Willys CJ3a: stock-ish (his)**95 ZJ Laredo 4.0: removable doors, longarm, 8.8 rear, leaks, squeaks, dents, dings, etc (ours)**03 TJ Rubicon: longarm, body lift, 33" Duratracs- SOLD**05 LJ Rubicon: stock (MINE!)
95ZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #14
Music4YourSoul
2005 WK 

The Cobalt was such a POS car. I owned one for three years & I babied the thing like no other (I do all my vehicles). It was unreliable, recalls up the yin-yang, god-awful build quality, & I couldn't fit anything in it, granted it was a coupe. Avoid GM like the plague; never again. As much as it disgruntles me to say this, do yourself a favor & buy a reliable Japanese car. :/
Music4YourSoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2014, 11:59 PM   #15
YnotJ92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It is my opinion that if you want reliability, go Japanese, or even later Korean....

But if it werent because of the fact that I wanted a Wrangler, I wouldnt have an American vehicle right now. Im happy that it turns out from what Ive read on here that YJs and TJs for the most part are very reliable... At least as far as longevity
... So it seems some Jeeps are the exception to the rule... But yeah, go Japanese.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.