Help keep our University libraries open! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Help keep our University libraries open!

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 03-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Help keep our University libraries open!

This past week, NCSU's Administration has decided to cut both of our libraries weekly hours nearly in half. They are claiming this is a result of budget cuts implemented this year. However, this is one of the worst places they could choose to save money. A large majority of the student body uses both these libraries after the proposed 10pm closing, as well as students from other schools like Meredith and Wake Tech.

Consider the fact that the Ultra-Modern, Ultra-Expensive Hunt Library just opened last year (Jan) and our Student Union is currently being overhauled also into an Ultra-Modern, Ultra-Expensive SU, about twice it's original size. Finally, the University is still in the middle of building a ton (I mean a TON) of Ultra-Modern, Ultra-Expensive Student Apartments next to Hunt library, including a whole new food court. The students didn't ask for these. We certainly enjoy the buildings, but spending all of that money on something to make the school "more modern", then cutting a vital resource we students use often in our education is wrong. Another good example is the fact that the University just bought a brand new fleet of Ultra-Modern, Ultra-Expensive golf carts. They are intended to help the disabled to get to class, but they are completely impractical and a waste. I have never seen a disabled person using one, especially since there are stairs all over campus that they wouldn't be able to get past. However I did see one going down Western Boulevard today holding up traffic.

So, as you can see, our administration has some warped priorities, putting campus image before student education (or so it would seem). The student body is pretty upset as a whole and our SBP is on our side trying to stop the cuts. It's sad enough that we suddenly can't pay for the library we just built. Please follow this link and join our effort to stop State from making a very bone-headed move. If the libraries close at night, I will have nowhere to pull all-nighters.

http://www.savehuntlibrary.com/

Also, Fun Fact: Some of the chairs in Hunt Library cost over $1000 each.

Hunt:

Talley:

The golf carts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

EDIT: It turns out we were provided with some false info. DH Hill Library will still be open 24 hrs and Hunt will receive the night closings. We are still pushing to keep Hunt open.

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 03-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
Cause

Wait until you enter the real world sonny.
Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
AlTheKillerr

clicked on the support link and it keeps telling me "Something went wrong"
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKillerr View Post
clicked on the support link and it keeps telling me "Something went wrong"
Works fine for me.

Quote:
Unread 03-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
nwiTJdave

Outside forces will not prevent a college campus from opening or closing a library during nighttime hours. I am willing to bet that not many students use Hunt library after say 11:00 pm most nights anyways, which is the proposed closing time. The library on my campus closed at 11:00 as well, and never had any adverse reaction to any student I ever encountered. If we wanted to meet up late, we would meet up at a bar, have a few drinks, and conduct our business there.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave View Post
Outside forces will not prevent a college campus from opening or closing a library during nighttime hours. I am willing to bet that not many students use Hunt library after say 11:00 pm most nights anyways, which is the proposed closing time. The library on my campus closed at 11:00 as well, and never had any adverse reaction to any student I ever encountered. If we wanted to meet up late, we would meet up at a bar, have a few drinks, and conduct our business there.
Actually Hunt is packed after 11.

Quote:
Unread 03-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cause View Post
Wait until you enter the real world sonny.
Exactly.

Here's an idea - if you don't want the library to close at night because of staffing related budget cuts, arrange for the student's union to volunteer work hours.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

After viewing those picture of the college I feel so bad for your hardships budget cuts??? we should start a fund raiser how ever will the staff get by.... and to think we still have real world issues like hunger in this country.

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
After viewing those picture of the college I feel so bad for your hardships budget cuts??? we should start a fund raiser how ever will the staff get by.... and to think we still have real world issues like hunger in this country.
Did you read anything I wrote or did you just pull a tl;dr and assume? My whole point is everything in those pictures is wasteful. Instead of continuing to build new **** trying to impress alums and potential benefactors (which clearly isn't working) they should be paying to keep open the resources the students need and use on a regular basis. Also, please feel free to quote where I said anything about a fundraiser. I just want my libraries open at night. I do not see why you feel the need to associate this with global issues or to act as if I'm the one advocating all this new crap the Uni is wasting tuition on.

Quote:
Unread 03-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #11
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
Did you read anything I wrote or did you just pull a tl;dr and assume? My whole point is everything in those pictures is wasteful. Instead of continuing to build new **** trying to impress alums and potential benefactors (which clearly isn't working) they should be paying to keep open the resources the students need and use on a regular basis. Also, please feel free to quote where I said anything about a fundraiser. I just want my libraries open at night. I do not see why you feel the need to associate this with global issues or to act as if I'm the one advocating all this new crap the Uni is wasting tuition on.
Oh I read it and I also know we agree on the wasteful spending. that place is no better then some churches.

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.