HELP! Jeep high centered in mud 2 miles into forest! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > HELP! Jeep high centered in mud 2 miles into forest!

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
pbuchanan
2008 JK Wrangler 

HELP! Jeep high centered in mud 2 miles into forest!

Just got back form a very interesting camping trip. We left with 2 Jeep Wrangler Rubicons and a Toyota 4-runner and came back with one Rubicon on the back of a flatbed.

Basically what happened was the three of us were offroaing in the forest and I got my Jeep sunk so deep in mud that it is now high centered in the middle of a bog. The 4-runner tried to pull me out from the way I went in but almost got stuck himself and tore up the mud making it very hard to get back in there. Then he tried to pull me out from the front and ended up blowing out his rear diff.

We tried to toe the 4-runner back to the main road but the other Jeep was having electrical issues. So we got another buddy out with his Yukon XL and the Yukon started towing the 2nd Jeep back to the road. the Yukon got stuck in a different muddy stop but we got the Jeep running again by playing with the fuse box (we later found out it was just a loose ground cable) and he pulled the Yukon out. So we called that a win and went back to town.

It is now raining for the next 4 days but we hope to go back on Thursday.

Any reccomendations on how to get a vehicle that is high centered in the bog out? It is difficult to get a big truck in there (like the Yukon) because they are too heavy. The stuck Jeep doesn't have a winch, neither is there any place to winch too. If you've been in a similar situation is the best way to jack it up with a high lift or two and just put a ton of wood and gravel underneath the tires? Or would it just be easier to rent a mini hoe, dig out what we can and just drag it out. Would that even work? Has anyone done it that way? Right now I'm willing to spend the money on the hoe, I just want to get the Jeep out before it is completely ruined. (the doors are currently off of it)

Thanks in advance!

pbuchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hope you don't come back to it looking like this.......

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
pbuchanan
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Hope you don't come back to it looking like this.......

Max
It's so far from civilization that I am much more worried of going back to it looking like this:

Unread 06-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
Hurley91

Any farmers near by? Ask one of them to see if they can bring their tractor to pull you out. Or contact a local 4x4 club to see if one of them to help you.
Hurley91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
jeepwhore
Lucky S.O.B.

1984 CJ7 

This is a prime example of why I NEVER have or will go wheeling around Ft. Mac.

Muskeg is a real biotch......you could come back to this instead:

If the muskeg doesn't swallow your rig some crack head will find it and strip/burn it.....no matter how remote the area it's stuck in is. Hopefully it's not on one of the more travelled trails like tower road, draper road or up behind abasand.

Sorry to be a debbie downer but you are going to have a hard time finding someone to volunteer to go back there......time to put some cash on the table. I'm up here right now but I don't have a capable rig and I'm working for the next week so I'm not of much help. There were/are a bunch of guys up here running full sizes with big blocks and nitrous that go out bogging.....but I'm not sure how you'd find them. Ft. Mac Kijiji maybe?

I'll ask my cousin, he and his buddies all have quads and side by sides. A bunch of them may be able to pull/winch it out without getting stuck given how much lighter they are.....if they are off shift.

Your saving grace might be to try here:

http://www.jeepsofmcmurray.ca/

They're a good bunch of folks that would probably be willing to help but given it's the start of a work week who knows when they'll be able to go out.

As for the mini hoe, bad idea. It's one thing to get your rig stuck but walking a rental machine into the bush is just asking for a huge dent in the wallet.

The rain certainly isn't going to help but I think some hi-lifts, shovels, wood cribbing and plywood are going to be your new friends. And the biggest thing to remember is try NOT to follow old tracks on the way out. Once the muskeg is disturbed you'll be getting stuck every 10 feet if you follow your tracks from the way in.

Good luck dude, it sounds like you're going to need it!
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

you might need to talk to these guys:

A wise man once told me, "I am going to give you some advice; you can take it or leave it, but keep in mind that it is worth exactly what you paid for it"
BleepinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
jeepwhore
Lucky S.O.B.

1984 CJ7 

One other thing. If you do have to get it out manually on your own, remember three things.

1) something flat and stable so the jack has a good solid footing to stand on, preferably with cleats on top that will stop the jack from kicking out
2) a length of chain: wrap it around the axle and frame to limit suspension droop each time you jack it up so you don't have to jack it up as far to get the wheels off the ground
3) a chainsaw: when it comes time to put stuff under the tires find old dead fallen trees or blowdown. Cut them about 4 feet wider than your jeep on each side and lay them perpendicular to the direction of travel. This is called "corduroying" and is the best way to get a good stable surface to drive on with the least amount of risk of falling back in (although it is very labor intensive and time consuming)
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
Maximus856
1968 J-Series Truck 

Weasle your way out of it with a few come-alongs?

I'd rather inch my way out of it with a few of them and some shovels than pay for a hoe that will probably get stuck...From the sounds of it though, a jeep or truck without any mechanical/electrical issues may be of some help.
Maximus856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 06:08 AM   #9
pbuchanan
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thank you very much jeepwhore. That's what I will do. I will let you all know how it works.
Unread 06-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If you have any 2x6x10 or 2x8x10 lumber lying around you could build some mats. Four of them would be great because then you could swap them around as you drive out. Basically you would do the same thing jeepwhore is talking about you just would not need a chainsaw. The mats would be flatter and thinner to get under the tires.

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #11
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Pics Please!
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
Bigraab72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

X2 on pics!
Bigraab72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rent one of these

Gradall/Lull. I have taken them through some nasty stuff on job sites and they are seemingly impossibly to get stuck. 4 wheel steering, 4 wheel drive, loads of ground clearance, lots of torque, and if you do get it stuck you can use the boom to pull yourself out.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #14
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Find someone with a bro dozer 4x4 (an actual 4x4) and some massive 40" super swampers.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
modette
2005 WK 

Wow, pictures needed in all of this
modette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high lift , mud , mudding , stuck , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.