Help with deciding on schools... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Help with deciding on schools...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
mopar3389
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Help with deciding on schools...

I just got acceptance letters back from both Penn State in Reading as well as Mansfield University, PA. This is great news for me, since these were the only two colleges I was even considering of going to. Problem is, I've been getting more and more interested in Wyotech (large automotive trade school) recently, as it is a great place to learn about auto repair. I love working on cars, but I'm not fully convinced that it's something I want to do the rest of my life. I also don't have any idea what would possibly interest me in college, except maybe criminal justice. Is it better off for me to go to college anyway, since I can major in a lot of different fields? Or should I stick with something I know I enjoy doing?

mopar3389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
trailblazer2003

There are many different paths you could choose. You seem to be undecided at this point in time. I would not rush into a full 4yr program if I were you. Been there done that, will be paying for it for way to many years to come. I ended up with a degree in Criminal Justice and Sociology. Thought it sounded cool ,but later realized that it wasn't what I wanted. A better avenue for the undecided person is to find a good local community college. Put two years in testing the waters exploring different fields while saving a ton on tuition. The if you find something transfer to a 4yr, and get your bachelor's. I wish I had done that, and many other's I went to school with felt the same. There was too much emphasis on starting college immediately after HS. This approach works for some, but not everyone. My MIL is 50 and is starting her new career in nursing.

Anyway, My vote is community college, or even the trade school. If you like either then continue on. If not, at least you got some kind of degree out of it, and it didn't cost as much.

As for me I am considering becoming a Paramedic in the next couple years. I wanted to do it before I was out of HS, but never got to do it.
trailblazer2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
GADawgFan
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It's a tough decision. I'm the Financial Aid Director at a technical college and I talk with prospective students everyday with this same choice. I'd do what makes you happy. One option would be to complete an automotive program and work on your Bachelor's degree on the side (Business degree - maybe) . Gives you the experience and leads you into a management role or business owner. You can waste much time and money changing majors until to find out what you really want to do. Education is a life long experience. Don't box yourself into thinking that you've got to be done with it within 4 years.
GADawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
hilhil45

Words of advice about a 4 yr. ( these were words told to my, not by me) A good portion of college is finding out what you don't want to do. A lot of people go into college thinking they want to do something, but then once in college they change their minds to something else. But, had they not gone to college they may not have realized that thier original path was not really for them.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.