health insurance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > health insurance

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
Jeep_Fanatic
2012 MK Compass 

health insurance

My work offered me Blue Cross Blue Shield, which i know is one of the best insurances around. My wife is currently uninsured for health and I really need to put her on some kind of insurance.

I currently have both Medicare and Medicaid because of my disability through SSI and Social Security and it pretty much covers almost 99% of my expenses. Im wondering if some people have similar situations like me. Would I still be able to have medicaid/medicare while getting bluecross blueshield?

the bcbs is very pricey, almost 200 biweekly for me and my spouse. with reasonable copays.

Unread 06-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I currently have both Medicare and Medicaid because of my disability through SSI and Social Security
If you are disabled and getting Medicare and Medicaid, how are you working?
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
Jeep_Fanatic
2012 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
If you are disabled and getting Medicare and Medicaid, how are you working?
with the two hands and legs I have. if I could find a pair of ears that worked I'd be off disability!
Unread 06-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just thought that if you qualified for disability benefits it was because your disability prevented you from working?
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #5
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yea... it seems disability and being able to work would be mutually exclusive. At least they were when I had to go on disability during some cancer treatments... does the agency doling out your payments and coverage know of your work?
Unread 06-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You can work and receive SS disability. There are limits as to what you can earn though.

SS disability applies to a wide range of cases, not all of which are 'mutually exclusive' to working.

As for the insurance question, I believe you can have both. I would check with your HR department at work to verify. I would trust them (or a SS attorney) over anyone on a Jeep forum over something this important.

2013 Dodge Charger | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | Ramsey Winches | www.dakuda.com
dakuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
Jeep_Fanatic
2012 MK Compass 

yes my agency knows im working and they still approve ss payments over small amonts to compenstate my work wages. i understand infomation is more important from those 2 sources, my HR agent doesnt know shes going to find out more within the next few days. Im asking on here for advice and knowledge that i can gather. My wife and I have already talked a bit about it but we would love to know if I can still get Medicaid/Medicare cause it can help the both of us alot on medical payments. espescially if I have to go to the ER for some freak accident, say a spider bite (im allergic) then We wouldnt have to worry about medical for me on the most part.
Unread 06-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #8
Cause
WHAT !!!!

I believe if medicare finds you have another insurance carrier they will not pay, as they will consider the bcbs as the primary... this happened to me is how I know.
Cause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

If BCBS becomes the primary insurance the Medicare/ Medicade should pick up any costs they don't cover as secondary insurance. You will be paying $5200 per year in premiums plus co-pays and any annual deductible before BCBS will pay a nickle for your wifes health care.
Unread 06-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
pushead

Yes you can have both. My daughter and my wife both did last year. The only thing you will encounter is your new work insurance becomes your primary insurance and medicaide your secondary. So if you need surgery and your deductable is say $1,000. Your primary insurance will bill you the $1,000.00. Medicaide will come in and pay that $1,000 for you and then your first is responsible for every thing else. For the most part you should never pay a thing between the two. Owe and you will no longer be elidgle for a plan under meidicade. You will be moved to what they call open medicaide where you are not on a plan through them. We had a $4,000 deductable on my work plan when my twins where born. Medicaide paid it then my primary picked up the rest.

If your wife needs insurance have you looked into Share of Cost medicaide? I don't know your income situation but that is also a great option many do not know about.
Unread 06-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #11
pushead

Scratch the share of cost idea. I just googled it for GA and it was scrapped in 04.
Unread 06-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #12
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
I just thought that if you qualified for disability benefits it was because your disability prevented you from working?
Depends on the disability. If you've got military disability for some things, you can still work AND collect the disability.

My dad still has a frag in his head that sometimes wanders over and pinches his optic nerve - makes him blind in one eye until it wanders back. 85% of SP4 pay for life, free to work (work must give him days off when he goes blind.) Works at NIPSCO.

Stepdad got something like 95% of USAF TSG pay until he died - he worked on flightlines for years, and was deaf in one year and hearing impaired in the other (USAF/ANG.) Worked at Neoteric until he died.

Getting Social Security disability will still allow you to work part-time, there's a ceiling on how much you can make before they think about pulling you off. And, if you do work full time, they won't pull you off for at least six months, to make sure that you are indeed able to work full-time.

(One of my wife's besties has been a disability attorney for 25 years...)
Unread 06-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post

Depends on the disability. If you've got military disability for some things, you can still work AND collect the disability.

My dad still has a frag in his head that sometimes wanders over and pinches his optic nerve - makes him blind in one eye until it wanders back. 85% of SP4 pay for life, free to work (work must give him days off when he goes blind.) Works at NIPSCO.

Stepdad got something like 95% of USAF TSG pay until he died - he worked on flightlines for years, and was deaf in one year and hearing impaired in the other (USAF/ANG.) Worked at Neoteric until he died.

Getting Social Security disability will still allow you to work part-time, there's a ceiling on how much you can make before they think about pulling you off. And, if you do work full time, they won't pull you off for at least six months, to make sure that you are indeed able to work full-time.

(One of my wife's besties has been a disability attorney for 25 years...)
There is no Military disability. Its compensation

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
Jeep_Fanatic
2012 MK Compass 

Thanks guys! Info really helps! I signed us up for health n dental already.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.