Is an HD-DVD player worth it now? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Is an HD-DVD player worth it now?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 02-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #46
kcphilaflyer

Yea because COD4 sucks so bad on PS3....................................insert roll eyes smiley here.

sure xbox has alot more games..........but since the fall, PS3 has put out some solid games, so to say it's a joke as a gaming console is well, a joke.

xbox fanboys crack me up.

2" RE BB, 1" PA BL, 1" MORE MML
AtoZ Rockers, Uniden/2ft Firestick(stolen), Nth Degree Oil Skid, JKS Discos

1986 Red CJ-7 Spring '89 - Spring '96, R.I.P.

Red Jeep Club Member #289
Pix
kcphilaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 06:11 PM   #47
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcphilaflyer View Post
Yea because COD4 sucks so bad on PS3....................................insert roll eyes smiley here.
True, but CoD4 is available on every other platform as well, I personally play it on the PC

There's still a dearth of really awesome PS3 exclusive games, Motorstorm is good as is Drake's Fortune and R&C Future, but there's no truly awesome titles exclusive to the platform.

The 360 has nearly ALL of the PS3's good games (e.g. cod4, oblivion, assassin's creed) AND a sprinkling of truly fantastic exclusive titles (like mass effect & bioshock, forza 2), so if you're comparing platforms in terms of gaming, the Xbox is definitely the way to go right now.

There are some promising PS3 exclusives on the horizon, so we'll see how it goes this year.
Unread 02-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #48
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

sure xbox has alot more games..........but since the fall, PS3 has put out some solid games, so to say it's a joke as a gaming console is well, a joke.

not nearly as much as us Wii fanboys right? I like my X Box and Wii, only reason for me to get a PS3 is for Final Fantasy, I'm an addict! Been so since playing VII, had VII, VIII, IX, X, X-II, skipped XI, and haven't got XII yet...
Unread 02-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #49
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

XII is online isn't it? Think I'll skip that one, looking forward to XIII but Christ alone knows when that'll show up, next year probably.

I think that's why they're planning on the PS3 having a 10 year life cycle, it takes that long for their developers to write something for it
Unread 02-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #50
kcphilaflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki View Post
True, but CoD4 is available on every other platform as well, I personally play it on the PC

There's still a dearth of really awesome PS3 exclusive games, Motorstorm is good as is Drake's Fortune and R&C Future, but there's no truly awesome titles exclusive to the platform.

The 360 has nearly ALL of the PS3's good games (e.g. cod4, oblivion, assassin's creed) AND a sprinkling of truly fantastic exclusive titles (like mass effect & bioshock, forza 2), so if you're comparing platforms in terms of gaming, the Xbox is definitely the way to go right now.

There are some promising PS3 exclusives on the horizon, so we'll see how it goes this year.
as far as for just gaming......xbox wins hands down.

as far as an overall console for people who want games, movies, music, browser, etc. and to put in your living room.....no contest

just funny listening to the xbox folk talk like the ps3 is an atari

Pix
Unread 02-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #51
kcphilaflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki View Post

I would rather play it on PC as well over either console...that's how I started playing FPS's back in the late 90's, and I haven't gotten used to the controllers on the console...much rather have my keyboard and mouse....but I also like playing from the couch

Pix
Unread 02-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #52
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
nah, not a fanboy by a long shot. I nearly bought a PS3. I have days (nearly everyday?) that I curse Microsoft and flip off my computer. Too many problems with windows......but that's another story.

Call of Duty 4 is available on the 360 too. So what exactly were you getting at?

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #53
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
as far as for just gaming......xbox wins hands down.

as far as an overall console for people who want games, movies, music, browser, etc. and to put in your living room.....no contest

Well, the PS3 does get an A+ in versatility. I don't really need the all in one yet. Who knows, maybe that'll change in the future. All in one devices seem best when you have to take all that somewhere (hence iphone).

I can get movies, music and game on my 360. Only thing lacking is a browser, but that's what a computer is for. That'd never work for me. Often I watch TV and am on the computer at the same time.

I'll also add that I think the looks of the PS3 are MUCH better than the 360. Much more sleek, seems to be following the look of other electronics - gloss black. Sexy.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #54
rockhopper

Location: /lo-kashen/ a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature
I have no interest in the high-definition DVDs. In 2004, I got caught up in the hype of HD and bought a plasma TV. After about 2-3 months of going "Wow, look how cool that is!" I realized that it doesn't make the content any better. Crappy shows are still crappy in HD, and I should've used the money for more useful things, like tools or Jeep mods.
rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 11:48 PM   #55
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
I have no interest in the high-definition DVDs. In 2004, I got caught up in the hype of HD and bought a plasma TV. After about 2-3 months of going "Wow, look how cool that is!" I realized that it doesn't make the content any better. Crappy shows are still crappy in HD, and I should've used the money for more useful things, like tools or Jeep mods.
Yeah, but more stuff is HD now and the sets are much cheaper.
Unread 02-13-2008, 12:36 AM   #56
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Well, actually, the xbox can stream movies and music from any media center PC, plus xbox live kicks the crap out of the PS3 when it comes to downloadable content.

Ok, I'll give you the web browser argument, the Xbox has no web browser, of course the laptop I'm typing this on does
Quote:
Yes, how dreadfully pedestrian, expecting a games console to actually play games
Unread 02-13-2008, 05:53 AM   #57
99green sport

I'm on my 3rd xbox 360 in one year,RROD... It dies about every 5 months or so. I can't wait until it's out of warranty. What an overhyped POS.
Unread 02-13-2008, 06:24 AM   #58
Giseppe
2000 WJ 

My PS3 and its games are sweet. Its very accomplished at games. Wait till Metal Gear, GTA and Gran Turismo come out. XBOX 360 is nice too, my roommate has it. Different strokes for different folks.

What it boils down to is in two years PS3 will be running blu ray disc and can have more expansive games because of the storage side of the disc, so to say PS3 is lame now is pretty short sighted.

This discussion is about movies though and it was not really necessary to mention the gaming aspects of the PS3.
Unread 02-13-2008, 06:54 AM   #59
rockhopper

Location: /lo-kashen/ a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheMudder View Post
Yeah, but more stuff is HD now and the sets are much cheaper.
Yeah, but I should've waited. I had a 36-inch tube TV that still looks good even downconverting HD content. So I'll be waiting until Blockbuster has only high-def DVD's available and the players are $30 before I consider buying one.
rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 08:47 AM   #60
kcphilaflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9089 View Post
nah, not a fanboy by a long shot. I nearly bought a PS3. I have days (nearly everyday?) that I curse Microsoft and flip off my computer. Too many problems with windows......but that's another story.

Call of Duty 4 is available on the 360 too. So what exactly were you getting at?
that's cool, there are just alot of xbox folks who bash the ps3 nonstop, those are the fanboys I'm talking about.

I just wish they could somehow come up with a way to play across platforms online.....so we could all play COD4 together.

Pix

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.