Is an HD-DVD player worth it now? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Is an HD-DVD player worth it now?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #31
SoCoYJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
Not sure the public will accept $35 dvd's. That is the price of a bluray.
I don't know anyone that spends $35 on a bluray movie. They can be had easily $20-25. New releases are typically $30 tops, except in stores that outrageously up the price. Not to mention Best Buy and Amazon, etc have been running buy 1 get 1 for quite some time now. It's on select movies, but good movies still.

SoCoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #32
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoYJ View Post
I don't know anyone that spends $35 on a bluray movie. They can be had easily $20-25. New releases are typically $30 tops, except in stores that outrageously up the price. Not to mention Best Buy and Amazon, etc have been running buy 1 get 1 for quite some time now. It's on select movies, but good movies still.
$25 for a movie?
Hmmmm DVD-R is like $12 for 50... netflix is like $15/mo...

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #33
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
$25 for a movie?
Hmmmm DVD-R is like $12 for 50... netflix is like $15/mo...
Too bad DVD-R and BluRay are different technologies.
"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #34
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheMudder View Post
They developed some type of scratch-resistant coating for it. They tested it, works fine.
Disney will not be pleased to hear of this.

That kind of blows that regular DVD's will be around after HD-DVD's are phased out. Oh well. Clearance sales, woo-hoo. I'll be stockpiling.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #35
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki View Post
Best Buy has long sided with Blu Ray because the profit margin is higher, HD DVD is the cheaper format, both in terms of players and discs. Consequently the de facto HD machine that was hooked up was a blu ray box and the HD DVD boxes were typically either not present, or hooked up with substandard cables to degrade the image.

Blu Ray won because it had:
a: Better marketing &
b: A cooler name.

You can tell how uninformed the average consumer is about these things because they'll swear blind that Blu Ray looks better than HD DVD, when the truth is there's no significant visual difference between the two formats, if anything they could be forgiven for saying that Blu Ray SOUNDS better, since the only manifestation of the lower HD DVD capacity is compression on the audio track, but visually the two formats are identical.

These people are probably the same ones who say they can tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p when watching a 24fps movie.

ie. They're talking out of their ***.
Exactly. Nothing but marketing, and society is eating every word of it.

Anyone who thinks that Blu ray is a better format in general is talking out of their ***.

But, that's what the people ignorantly choose (or let film companies choose) so they will have to pay more for their movies now.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #36
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I shoulda known it. First I bought Beta and then VHS won that format war. Then I bought HD DVD and Blue Ray has essentially won that war too. To make it worse, I just got an email from Netflix today saying they're now officially solely on the Blue Ray bandwagon and they will stop buying new HD DVDs and even stop shipping what they have in HD DVD format after a few more months.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #37
Juju
yay cartoons!

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I shoulda known it. First I bought Beta and then VHS won that format war. Then I bought HD DVD and Blue Ray has essentially won that war too. To make it worse, I just got an email from Netflix today saying they're now officially solely on the Blue Ray bandwagon and they will stop buying new HD DVDs and even stop shipping what they have in HD DVD format after a few more months.
So next time two new technologies are competing against each other could you please tell the rest of us which you chose so we know to get the opposite?

Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. -Douglas Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9089 View Post
Good lord man, the people don't serve the government, the government serves the people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike318 View Post
Women can never do anything wrong.
Juju is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #38
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
HDDVD can't get much closer to death...
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...00618&vnsId=33

Not surprising:

The Blu-ray Disc format was developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), a group of leading consumer electronics, personal computer and media manufacturers, with more than 180 member companies from all over the world. The Board of Directors currently consists of:

Apple Computer, Inc.
Dell Inc.
Hewlett Packard Company
Hitachi, Ltd.
LG Electronics Inc.
Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
TDK Corporation
Thomson Multimedia
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney Pictures
Warner Bros. Entertainment

It's funny there's no mention of Cree. They pioneered Blue laser technology.

Cree's Blue Laser Hits 10,000 Hour Lifetime Target
February 26, 2002...The only way to be a true front-runner in the compound semi blue spectrum laser diodes race is to hit the magic "10,000 hour" lifetime target. Cree, Inc., of Durham, North Carolina USA has done just that, according to today's announcement of the the company's latest results from their GaN on SiC blue laser technology. Cree's 405 nm, 3 mW blue laser diodes do, indeed, now "exhibit a projected lifetime exceeding 10,000 hours at room temperature." Cree began sampling its laser diodes in December 2001 and evaluation is currently underway at major electronics DVD manufacturers. Cree stated that their blue laser diodes will have the necessary specifications needed to meet the recently announced uniform standards for the next-generation DVD optical disc format. (Ref: Compound Semi News Feb. 21 coverage and below). Cree's announcement comes on the opening day of Gorham's Compound Semiconductor Outlook 2002 conference in San Mateo, California USA, where the topic of blue laser development is high on the agenda of conference attendees. According to Chuck Swoboda, Cree's President and CEO in commenting on his company's outstanding blue laser work, "This is one of the most significant achievements in the history of the company. We have accelerated our blue laser diode development and continue to target a product launch by the end of this fiscal year. We believe these diodes will meet the uniform standards being formulated and look forward to participating in the exciting new optical disc applications under development." The new blue laser format will feature up to 27 gigabytes of memory on one side of a single 12-cm disc, nearly six times the capacity of current 4.7 gigabyte discs, and has the capability of storing approximately 40 hours of ordinary television broadcasts and more than two hours of digital high-definition motion pictures. Cree underscored that blue and ultraviolet (UV) lasers, with a shorter wavelength than red lasers, could also benefit optical storage systems such as high-end mass storage optical recording systems, enabling them to read and write more bits of information on a given area of disc space. Discs using the new format are expected to be the same size as compact discs and DVDs. Cree also pointed out that it is technically possible for manufacturers to develop blue laser systems that are compatible with existing red laser products, but that there can be no certainty such products will be developed. Press release. In further blue spectrum news from Cree, the company also unveiled their new "XBright" 505 nm and 525 nm green HB-LEDs, which complement their previously introduced XBright 470 nm blue HB-LEDs line. The XBright 505 nm part exhibits typical brightness of 11 mW while the 525 nm part is rated at 9 mW. Target applications for these devices include full color indoor and outdoor displays, advertising panels, traffic signals, and consumer products. Customer qualification samples and volume production are now available.
Unread 02-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #39
Giseppe
2000 WJ 

It boils down to PS3 has blu-ray. Blu-Ray will be made for the next tenish years accordingly for game discs. They had nothing to lose by throwing some money at it since they were going to produce the disc anyways.

Personally. I have a Samsung 40" 1080p LCD and can barely tell a difference in High Definition discs and an up-converted DVD, but it most definitly isn't worth the price. I would have never bought PS3 if it didn't up convert and will not be re-buying any movies I own now. Spend the hundred bucks on an upconverter and save your money till the winner has players at $100 or less and you still save a hundred bucks or get a PS3 and spend probably too much.

Last edited by Giseppe; 02-12-2008 at 02:00 PM..
Giseppe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #40
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giseppe View Post
Personally. I have a Samsung 40" 1080p LCD and can tell a difference in High Definition discs and an up-converted DVD, but it most definitly isn't worth the price. I would have never bought PS3 if it didn't up convert and will not be re-buying any movies I own now. Spend the hundred bucks on an upconverter and save your money till the winner has players at $100 or less and you still save a hundred bucks or get a PS3 and spend probably too much.
It's not just the video that's vastly improved -- it's the audio as well. Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD are both lossless formats which support over 8 discrete channels. The average consumer probably won't notice, but anyone with a decent surround setup to take advantage of those formats definitely will.

It usually doesn't hurt to future-proof yourself when it comes to technology, but Blu-Ray's high cost and lack of hardware scalability haven't convinced me to begin supporting that format quite yet. If you buy a player right now, it might not be compatible with some of the newer disc revisions coming up and there's no guarantee that its firmware will be upgradable.

Unread 02-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #41
Giseppe
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip J Fry View Post
It's not just the video that's vastly improved -- it's the audio as well. Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD are both lossless formats which support over 8 discrete channels. The average consumer probably won't notice, but anyone with a decent surround setup to take advantage of those formats definitely will.

It usually doesn't hurt to future-proof yourself when it comes to technology, but Blu-Ray's high cost and lack of hardware scalability haven't convinced me to begin supporting that format quite yet. If you buy a player right now, it might not be compatible with some of the newer disc revisions coming up and there's no guarantee that its firmware will be upgradable.
Yeah, I do not have a sound set up yet but since it is in my room its not necessary.

The PS3 is one hundred percent upgradeable and is why I advise to go ahead and get one if this what you are looking at. It has all of the necessary plug ins and not only do you get Blu Ray, you get a web browser and can probably use that to view movies over the internet and it works in to your wireless internet and gives access to music, photos, and videos from your network and if you have a psp you can access it any where there is wi-fi for the psp.

All that and you can get one for 3-4 hundred. A little more but definitly worth it. Instead of insert disc, dumb box; you get pretty much a computer for your tv for a relatively small cost once you think about it. If only it could be a dvr too.

Oh yeah and it has slots for sd cards and such so you can look at your photos, don't know if the others have that or not too, but its there.

and to answer the OP question. No, not until they are $35 and the movies are $8, just another component to take up space.

Last edited by Giseppe; 02-12-2008 at 03:01 PM..
Giseppe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #42
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I love how when the gaming console PS3 is mentioned, that the actual gaming aspects are never mentioned.

I'm waiting for Microsoft to release a Blu-ray addition to the 360. That way I can have Blu-Ray, and actually have a console that functions for gaming as well.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 02-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #43
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9089 View Post

I love how when the gaming console PS3 is mentioned, that the actual gaming aspects are never mentioned.
You mean like their latest commercial? Just looks like a Blu-Ray player with a weird remote to me. Right now its only saving grace is that it plays BR. A buddy of mine bought one just for that... and folding. Doesn't even own a game for it.

[yt]EqdMIilf7BU[/yt]

Unread 02-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #44
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm..........I think PS3 should change their name then.

Perhaps to MS3.

"MovieStation3".

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 02-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #45
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

I should be getting a PS3 today or tomorrow, but I am ordering a couple extra games, the vast majority of the media I get will be BRDs though (already have a ton in the Amazon cart ready to go )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.