Is an HD-DVD player worth it now? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Is an HD-DVD player worth it now?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sales of Blu-Ray vs HD DVD

Also

Unread 02-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #17
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

With WB defecting to BRD, I'm calling the war over, and I have HD DVDs here, I'm not planning on buying more, but I don't regret it, at the time, the movies I wanted to watch were all on HD DVD, most of them still are and it's not like they magically stop working when Blu Ray takes off.

One thing though, if you don't mind having two players, you'll be able to pick up HD DVDs on closeout for next to nothing.
Unread 02-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #18
Indy

Blueray can store more info than HD can, which is cool. But from everything I've read blueray has massive compatibility issues, discs that barely run on any machine, slow frame rates, 5 minute load times for a movie etc. Video quality is supposed to be equal between the 2, but I've heard the audio on the BR is worse. I'm guessing that the studios are either ignorant of the complaints or just hoping like hell that they'll get resolved. Long term wise, the greater storage capacity is the better way to go, but right now I don't want one. I've got an HDDVD, and it irritates me to no end to know that eventually it will be worthless for new movies.

But the upscaling on standard DVD's kicks ***, and HD discs really kick *** on my 54" plasma. I bought an upscaling only dvd player a couple weeks before I bought the HD, and the upscaling is better on the HD.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #19
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Blueray can store more info than HD can, which is cool.
Blu-Ray = 2 layers x 25GB = 50GB disc
HD-DVD (new spec) = 3 layers x 17GB = 51GB disc

The thing is, the new triple layer discs will work with all existing players. If Blu-Ray develops any new storage capacities, very few existing players prior to the new spec's launch will be capable of playing them. As a standard, all HD-DVD players come with an ethernet port for updating purposes; Blu-Ray standards regard that as optional. So, to keep costs down and sell more players, not very many are being released with that feature.

Personally, I'm going to keep my HD player since it's the add-on for the 360 and works with my PC as well. Even if Blu-Ray "wins", I can load up on cheap titles. It's not like the technology is going to become automatically inferior (from a technical standpoint, HD and BR are virtually identical), there just won't be any more titles released eventually but I can still enjoy the ones I have until the next major format is on the horizon.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #20
kcphilaflyer

Netflix has gone all Blu-Ray DVD

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - Netflix Inc., the online movie rental company, said Monday it is switching exclusively to the Blu-ray format for high-definition DVDs, following four major movie studios in selecting the Sony technology over one pushed by Toshiba Corp.
ADVERTISEMENT

Toshiba and Sony have been vying to set the standard for high-definition DVDs for several years. The stakes are high because the winner will also get a boost in sales of DVD players needed to read the new format.

The Walt Disney Co., Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures, News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer have endorsed Blu-ray. Paramount and Universal Studios publish their high-definition DVDs in Toshiba's HD DVD format.

Netflix has stocked both formats since they became available in 2006, but said the decision of four of the six major studios to issue films only in Blu-ray format made it likely that the Sony format will prevail.
2" RE BB, 1" PA BL, 1" MORE MML
AtoZ Rockers, Uniden/2ft Firestick(stolen), Nth Degree Oil Skid, JKS Discos

1986 Red CJ-7 Spring '89 - Spring '96, R.I.P.

Red Jeep Club Member #289
Pix
kcphilaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #21
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcphilaflyer View Post
Netflix has gone all Blu-Ray DVD
Game. Set Match.

Winner: Blu-Ray
"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #22
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcphilaflyer View Post
Toshiba and Sony have been vying to set the standard for high-definition DVDs for several years.
This is so stupid, because the formats are identical in terms of quality and performance... oh wait, Sony owns the rights to one of them, so it's 351,623x better. If you want to get down to it, Blu-Ray is actually a little weaker because the protective layer on the storage medium is only 0.1mm thick (compared to 0.6mm for DVD/HD-DVD and 1.2mm for CD).

You can bet your sweet *** I'll be making a copy of every Blu-Ray title I buy.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #23
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip J Fry View Post

Uh-oh, you just made a list somewhere The thin protective layer is a well thought out plan to sell the same disc over and over. Definitely not an oversight.

Unread 02-11-2008, 11:23 AM   #24
Juju
yay cartoons!

2000 XJ Cherokee 

So which one will computers come equipped with?

edit: and what does this mean for us folks who only have a standard DVD player at the moment?

Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. -Douglas Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9089 View Post
Good lord man, the people don't serve the government, the government serves the people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike318 View Post
Women can never do anything wrong.

Last edited by Juju; 02-11-2008 at 11:34 AM..
Juju is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #25
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju View Post
I see no reason for HD DVD to come standard on machines now, BRD has a theoretically higher storage limit, but HD DVDs are advantageous from a movie standpoint because they're not so tightly controlled by the studios.
Unread 02-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #26
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju View Post

edit: and what does this mean for us folks who only have a standard DVD player at the moment?
Not a thing. They'll still be releasing everything on standard DVD for a long time. Eventually the market itself will phase them out as people upgrade. But you have to figure that a majority of the US doesn't have a HD tv, and upgrading to a HD video format is just a waste of money for them. I imagine wanna be techno geeks will upgrade their player and talk about how much better the picture is... even tho it will still be at standard def. Someday the majority will change, but not soon.

Unread 02-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #27
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip J Fry View Post
This is so stupid, because the formats are identical in terms of quality and performance... oh wait, Sony owns the rights to one of them, so it's 351,623x better. If you want to get down to it, Blu-Ray is actually a little weaker because the protective layer on the storage medium is only 0.1mm thick (compared to 0.6mm for DVD/HD-DVD and 1.2mm for CD).

They developed some type of scratch-resistant coating for it. They tested it, works fine.
Unread 02-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #28
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

HDDVD can't get much closer to death...
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...00618&vnsId=33
Unread 02-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #29
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I own an HD-DVD player, as said it's up-conversion is amazingly good. Spectacular, in fact.
Biu ray is more expensive than hddvd is, by about 5 bucks per disc, but both are 10 bucks more than sd.
I buy 90% sd dvd's and let my hd player upconvert it and am happy.
Not sure the public will accept $35 dvd's. That is the price of a bluray.

I got this from Netflix, today...
NETFLIX - We're Going Blu-ray

Dear Thomas,

You're receiving this email because you have asked to receive high-definition movies in the HD DVD format. As you may have heard, most of the major movie studios have recently decided to release their high-definition movies exclusively in the Blu-ray format. In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

While we will continue to make our current selection of HD DVD titles available to you for the next several months, we will not be adding additional HD DVD titles or reordering replacements.

Toward the end of February, HD DVDs in your Saved Queue will automatically be changed to standard definition DVDs. Then toward the end of this year, all HD DVDs in your Queue will be changed to standard definition DVDs. Don't worry, we will contact you before this happens.

You can click here to change your format preferences.....
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #30
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
HDDVD can't get much closer to death...
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...00618&vnsId=33
Best Buy has long sided with Blu Ray because the profit margin is higher, HD DVD is the cheaper format, both in terms of players and discs. Consequently the de facto HD machine that was hooked up was a blu ray box and the HD DVD boxes were typically either not present, or hooked up with substandard cables to degrade the image.

Blu Ray won because it had:
a: Better marketing &
b: A cooler name.

You can tell how uninformed the average consumer is about these things because they'll swear blind that Blu Ray looks better than HD DVD, when the truth is there's no significant visual difference between the two formats, if anything they could be forgiven for saying that Blu Ray SOUNDS better, since the only manifestation of the lower HD DVD capacity is compression on the audio track, but visually the two formats are identical.

These people are probably the same ones who say they can tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p when watching a 24fps movie.

ie. They're talking out of their ***.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.