Having metal removed from eye - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Having metal removed from eye

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-12-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

Having metal removed from eye

I was doing some sawzall work on a friends jeep yesterday and apparently got a small piece of metal shard in my eye. (I would have worn glasses but my dog got to them this week, also, I'm sure many of you have done work occasionaly without safety glasses)

I was doing the work around 2:00 and I don't even remember getting it in my eye. By 8:30 I was in dire pain. I have had metal in my eye once before but it didnt hurt This time I washed my eye out and couldn't find the metal. I kept irritating my eye, using a warm wet Q-tip and eventually abbraised the cornea : After getting about 3 hours sleep last night due to pain, I decided to head to an opthalmologist (SP?) to have the metal removed.

I was nervous about going in, but I decided I couldn't solve the problem myself. The doc put in three drops every minute or so to deaden the eye, then pulled out a metal hook/spike and told me to open the eye, a nurse stepped behind me. The doctor leaned forward and started to remove the metal, I NEVER even felt him touch the eye, he dug at it for about 3-5 seconds, and pulled out the shard with some apparent rust. I blinked twice and he re-examined, and sid he was all done. 127.00 later I was on my way and have some antibiotic drops to take for a few days. He said the reason the nurse had to be behind me was because so many patients faint when he goes to clean the eye "the bigger they are the harder they seem to fall" he said.

I am writing this to let anyone know if they get something in the eye, GO TO THE DOC! You will feel NO pain and it will be such a relief.

So, there is my PSA.

1998 5.9 limited, DT headers, CAI, 3" exhaust.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
1984XJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ouchies !
_(o)_)____(o)_)--o)_)

Daily Driver Jeep #16
Utah Jeep'n
1984XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got a piece of mortar in my eye while drilling one day. I didn't know if I got it out or not after washing it for 15 minutes, because it still hurt like hell. After 6 hours of my eye water and feeling irritated, I finally went in to get it checked out. They gave me some eye anesthetics, and told me that it should heal within a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out www.blackhillsjeeps.com!
Black Hills TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

I had a spate of 3 things in my eye over 3 years that required going to the eye doctor each time (one I got even while wearing eye protection.) They were so happy in the office, as many workers had never seen anyone with metal in the eye!

Anyway, the first 2 time they used the little hockey stick shaped thingy to extract the metal bit. Like you said, no real pain or stress involved.

The last time, however they had to use a rotary drill thingy to remove the shard. While it didn't hurt, you can just imagine the fun as the doc slowly puts a rotary bit to your eye and tells you to hold your eye still! Fortunately they numb your eye beforehand.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
TheRo0sTer
2000 WJ 

I think what you should say is:

If you are doing work that might get crap in your eyes, wear your $8 safety glasses to save you $127 for visiting the eye doc. I've done work without them, and felt like I was walking naked through a mall. My wife always says those look dorky. I say better than wearing a patch the rest of my life.

www.militaryjeepers.com
TheRo0sTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 12:42 AM   #6
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

My Mom honked her horn at my Dad one day when she was leaving the house. He was swinging a hammer at a nail while building a deck on the back of the house. She honked, he missed, flew a piece of the nail into his eye, went under / around his goggles. He had to sit on the couch and wait for her to get home because he couldn't even pick up the phone to call her.

Ouch.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 12:54 AM   #7
MT_Ranger
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got a piece of welding slag in my eye. Went past my goggles and my glasses and into the center of my eye. The doctor used a syringe and saline to wash it out. 3 days of antibiotic ointment and I'm good as new. Well... kinda.

[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club Member #552[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIZE="4"][/SIZE]
MT_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 12:59 AM   #8
Awshux
Cynical Bastard

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Been there, done that. Had a metal splinter fly into my eye just past my safety glasses when grinding. I didn't think it was too bad at first, but two hours later I couldn't keep my eye from constantly watering, and any light at all hurt like hell. Doc pulled the splinter, put a contact lens "bandage" on my eyeball, and sent me home with an eyepatch for a week. I now wear goggles instead of glasses when grinding.

Last edited by Awshux; 08-13-2009 at 03:16 AM.. Reason: Typed google out of habit...
Awshux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 01:23 AM   #9
Comanche_

This is why i wear a welding helmet when grinding.
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 01:36 AM   #10
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

I tend to always wear safety glasses when I'm doing any grinding/cutting/drilling, I think I need to invest in some strapped goggles. The glasses let too much in around the edges. Im really pissed my dog chewed my glasses up. He gor a pair of good Tillman gloves, and the strap for my auto-darkening helmet. PITA. Anything that gets a bit sweaty is his I guess. I am a strong advocate for safety goggles, I just slipped up. And I figured a sawzall wouldn't be bad. :

1998 5.9 limited, DT headers, CAI, 3" exhaust.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 04:54 AM   #11
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got a pretty large sliver of aluminum in my eye once while wearing safety glasses. But I have had things pulled out of my eye 3 times now. The first time is scary but once your done it wasn't that bad. 2 of the 3 times I had something in my eyes the piece literally about 25 feet across the room and got me. Both times by the same guy and both time within the same month

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 05:10 AM   #12
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

I learned the hard way as well and now I always use a full face shield and glasses when grinding.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 05:21 AM   #13
GotJeeps
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbojeepman View Post
they had to use a rotary drill thingy to remove the shard.
Been there. I had a metal shard in my eye overnight. When I went to the doctor he removed it but said it had rusted over night and he had to use the drill to grind out the rust.
GotJeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 05:26 AM   #14
3S00W
2009 JK Wrangler 

You said shard... More than once!
3S00W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 06:01 AM   #15
gabriel05
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'll add my name to the list of people that got metal in their eye. It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only person that does dumb stuff like this. It is a little unnerving when the doctor is coming at your eye with a rotatory tool, but it left much better after.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.