Haunting when you see someone you knew in the news - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Haunting when you see someone you knew in the news

IRON CROSS Jeep JK Front and Rear STUBBY BUMPERS IN STOCK Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 01-20-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Haunting when you see someone you knew in the news

Had a friend I went to school with post about a memorial fund for a guy we both went to school with today. He was not quite a year older than me, so it kind of reminds me of our own mortality. When I asked what happened, I was blindsided with a news story bout how he was murdered over the weekend. You read about this stuff all the time, but it's a tad bit haunting when it's someone you once knew. Granted, I was not close friends with Todd, but he was a nice guy to everyone, and made sure to make me feel welcome when I was the new guy at school.

http://www.lex18.com/story/27882982/...ing-identified

streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2015, 11:10 PM   #2
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Domestic violence is a common setting for homicide. Random attacks between unknown people being rare.

I hear you; found out that one of my classmates died of cancer and I'm 43, so those somber realities are starting to be realized.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #3
montero1
2010 JK Wrangler 

The flip side, is the joy you get when hearing of someone passing that was always a ******bag, adulterer, wife beater, or child molester.
montero1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #4
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

It is haunting. Im a young guy, and recently seen where a guy a year younger than me whom I played ball against and became friends with in high school had passed away from bacterial meningitis. I have to admit I take my health for granted, and to see someone this young pass away from a health related reason really makes me think about things.
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #5
Tollster
1980 CJ5 

More so when they make the nightly world news!
Tollster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

It is a bit haunting to me, to say the least. Todd wasn't in my class, but was a year ahead. Real swell guy, such a shame. Our class is working on a group donation for the family right now. Think I'll be re-evaluating my life insurance in the coming weeks.
Unread 01-21-2015, 11:21 PM   #7
KHoff90
1997 ZJ 

I've been fortunate enough to be nearly 25 years old and not have anyone truly close to me pass away; at least that's what I thought.

However, I'll never forget my freshman year of college when my teammate at my JUCO school was killed after being thrown off an ATV. We all went to his memorial and funeral. At 20 years of age and never going through any sort of similar circumstance, I had no idea what to expect.

There we all were. Walking towards the funeral home. For better or for worse it was an open casket. I walked through the door and saw his father bawling his eyes out and hugging my teammates' uncle. "Wow, I thought. I couldn't imagine losing a child so young."

As I approached the casket getting closer and closer, memories floated through my head. He was the funny guy, the one we all enjoyed and loved hearing his jokes. He wasn't afraid of anyone, he was our closer afterall. No way this could have happened to him. He was the man, the guy we all loved.

But there I stood overlooking the face and body of a guy I thought of as my brother. A guy all of my teammates thought of as their brother. I didn't know what to do. I had never seen death staring at me straight in the face.

I snuck a peak over and saw his father still bawling, then my teammate, the deceased closest friend, crying. I looked back at the body. Christ, I thought, it was for real.

What more could I do but to bawl with the rest of them. He was our brother, our friend, the guy we all loved, and enjoyed his company. He'd crack the funniest joke when we were at our lowest point after losing to Potomac State. He lifted our spirits and reminded us as to why we loved to play the game of baseball.

He was a true friend and brother. I'll miss you man, RIP Johnny B.

Steam: KHoff
PSN: KHoff128
KHoff90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 11:47 PM   #8
BLOODBANE
1984 CJ7 

I think it hit me hardest when my dad died in 2011. He was only 63, and never went to the Dr. He should have. Heart attack at home. Recently I have had to start Dialysis, and seeing some of those older folks in there is rough. I've been trying to look at life a whole lot different lately. I dont have all of my health, but I can still function (get dressed, drive, walk, etc...). I have a great support system with my wife, mother and sister, and my kids (even if they don't quite understand).

My high school class lost around 10 kids before we graduated (mid 80's, so we partied a lot)and I wouldn't say I became numb to it, but kinda. We lost some great people. One guy told me he would "see me later, Im gonna be with my folks tonight" 30 minutes before he bailed out of a moving car. He was a great guy that just packed a lot of demons around with him (his parents died in a car wreck in 1984).

best thing I can tell ya, is that no matter what your going through, somebody has it worse. Im not mad or bitter that I have to sit in a chair 4hrs. a day, 3 days a week. I try to keep an open mind that it wont be forever (Im on the transplant list for kidney/pancreas), and yes ts gonna bring the suck big time, BUT, Im still healthy enough to do it, and stick around for my family.

Doesnt really go with the thread, but another way of looking at life. Enjoy it while you can, and take care of it, cause you dont really know when it gonna be over.
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 12:27 AM   #9
Cause
WHAT !!!!

I learned at a young age the issue of mortality and what it is like to lose a friend, and far more than one.
Cause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 06:59 AM   #10
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Did I read that right? His boyfriend tried to cook his dog in an oven??
And they were still involved?
I'm sorry but if someone throws my dog in the oven I'm pretty much getting a restraining order immediately. There is no upside to reconciliation.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 07:42 AM   #11
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

News didn't clarify things, and I don't honestly know either. They may not have been together anymore, and the psycho came back and did something. They are burying him today, so I may find out more in the coming days.
Unread 01-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #12
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've lost 4 friends I went to HS with to either drug overdose or suicide. It really is sad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.