Has Facebook become too similar to the AOL of the 90's? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Has Facebook become too similar to the AOL of the 90's?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Reply
Unread 01-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #16
_Kevin
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Murrells Inlet, SC
Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
AOL better not die. They are still the only Internet you can get were i live. Highspeed stops about 3 miles away, sure you can get cellphone internet, but they want $70 a month and you can only have 2 computers set up with it.
Get an Android phone with Verizon. I have a Droid and if you use an Android app, then tethering is free and unlimited. Only down side is you have to pay $30 extra a month because it's considered a smart phone

__________________
Kevin
[QUOTE=Keith]I enjoy some good old fashioned night digging as well.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=JeepinSurprise;10042634]Did you really think you were getting a cushy/dry ride when you bought a vehicle with DRAINS on the inside?!?![/QUOTE]
_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #17
WhtJeep
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Posts: 614
there are ads on facebook?
__________________
2008 WK Khaki Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain
1995 XJ Lifted and driven straight into the ground - RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresso
Quick dana 35 test: kick one of the rear tires. If the axle breaks, it's a 35
XboxGT - The Mad Med1c
WhtJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #18
_Kyle_
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 2,760
Facebook is really going down hill. It was a fad that's slowly passing. The only reason I really use mine any more is just chat with friends since AIM also died as well (and 99% of people I know how a facebook so it's just easier to use). As soon as they opened up the whole "App" stuff, it started to suck. Now with all the other garbage they are throwing in there, like how every company thinks they need a facebook page, it's ridiculous. I'm half tempted to stop using mine.
__________________
-Kyle

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #19
Reswob
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh View Post
Yes, I see a lot of Facebook and Twitter tie-ins nowadays.

I still reminisce every time I meet someone who has an e-mail ending in '@aol.com'
I still have an aol.com email. I use it when I need to sign up for something that I know will send me spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
My grandpa got Verison, If i remember right.$65 a month and The program they gave him to install only will work on 2 computers.

Mabey someday, when i have money, and a job. It is nice though, being able to use a laptop anywere you can get a signal.
I thought Verizon had a device that was a wireless router using their data coverage. You wouldn't need software, anything with a wifi chip could access it.
__________________
'08 Triumph Bonneville Black ~ Café Racer

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #20
10achik
I ate what?
 
10achik's Avatar
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: STL (IL side)
Posts: 8,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicase50 View Post
Hell companies want their employees as friends.
Not where I work, actually we have a group here whose only job is to browse facebook looking for people who identify themselves as employees of our organization. They get formally repremanded for it, it's completely blocked from work (except for that group).

If people knew how many bad things go on with FB they wouldn't even turn on their computer. I see it daily where I work, but unfortunately I can't discuss those reports for classification reasons. Let me just say that when you get big, you are a target, and FB is HUGE worldwide and it's threat level cooresponds appropriately.
__________________
Ken

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #21
cmotsvt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,317
I use compuserve dial up. I live in the country and the price is right $14/month.
cmotsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #22
Jetscuh
O rly?
2012  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Beach, DE
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10achik View Post
Not where I work, actually we have a group here whose only job is to browse facebook looking for people who identify themselves as employees of our organization. They get formally repremanded for it, it's completely blocked from work (except for that group).

If people knew how many bad things go on with FB they wouldn't even turn on their computer. I see it daily where I work, but unfortunately I can't discuss those reports for classification reasons. Let me just say that when you get big, you are a target, and FB is HUGE worldwide and it's threat level cooresponds appropriately.
Damn, now you've just confirmed my paranoid thoughts about FB. As if I wasn't enough of a sketchball already.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #23
LEO_WRANGLER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SEGUIN TX
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10achik View Post
Not where I work, actually we have a group here whose only job is to browse facebook looking for people who identify themselves as employees of our organization. They get formally repremanded for it, it's completely blocked from work (except for that group).
Gee, seems like such a duplication of effort. Your company could save time and money by just asking the gummint spooks to copy a bit of that data they're already collecting on all of us. Taxes are already paying for this 'service'... why pay for it twice, eh?

Plus I'm told many companies these days have HR people who go online and check out the 'net footprint' of potential employees. I guess the idea is if you look too radical, you don't get a job offer. And to make it ever wierder, having NO apparent net footprint is considered bad too. That means you're obviously a loner... thus a radical... bye bye. Gads.
LEO_WRANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #24
10achik
I ate what?
 
10achik's Avatar
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: STL (IL side)
Posts: 8,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEO_WRANGLER View Post
Gee, seems like such a duplication of effort. Your company could save time and money by just asking the gummint spooks to copy a bit of that data they're already collecting on all of us. Taxes are already paying for this 'service'... why pay for it twice, eh?
Who do you think I work for
__________________
Ken

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 11:57 PM   #25
Comanche_
Registered User
1985  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The not wet side,Washington
Posts: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10achik View Post
Who do you think I work for


You have me confused. So bad things happen to popular people on FB?
__________________
Eppur si muove
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0NAJEEP View Post
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2010, 12:27 AM   #26
10achik
I ate what?
 
10achik's Avatar
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: STL (IL side)
Posts: 8,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post


You have me confused. So bad things happen to popular people on FB?
To anyone, a very large portion of "incidents" that occur against various networks are traced back to FB users. Those users have no idea that they were being used by other sources to commit these incidents. In most cases, varified by digital forensics, those users accessed various pages within facebook that were loaded with all sorts of nasty stuff that basically allowed their system to be used as hop points and often times taken over completely, many of these users have their ID stolen via the banking software they have on their systems, basically if it's on your computer they have it. What really makes it scary is that some countries are sponsoring this activity for their own agenda and don't care who knows about it.

Granted this has been going on for some time and happens other places on the net as well, it's nothing new, but FB has been a breeding ground for the latest wave of cyber attacks because of it's massive usage by all ages.

Do some google searches about facebook vulnerabilities, like I said before I can't link my sources, but I'm sure some security sites has some info as well that you can use to varify what I'm saying.
__________________
Ken

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2010, 12:37 AM   #27
Comanche_
Registered User
1985  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The not wet side,Washington
Posts: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10achik View Post
To anyone, a very large portion of "incidents" that occur against various networks are traced back to FB users. Those users have no idea that they were being used by other sources to commit these incidents. In most cases, varified by digital forensics, those users accessed various pages within facebook that were loaded with all sorts of nasty stuff that basically allowed their system to be used as hop points and often times taken over completely, many of these users have their ID stolen via the banking software they have on their systems, basically if it's on your computer they have it. What really makes it scary is that some countries are sponsoring this activity for their own agenda and don't care who knows about it.

Granted this has been going on for some time and happens other places on the net as well, it's nothing new, but FB has been a breeding ground for the latest wave of cyber attacks because of it's massive usage by all ages.

Do some google searches about facebook vulnerabilities, like I said before I can't link my sources, but I'm sure some security sites has some info as well that you can use to varify what I'm saying.
I see what your talking about, basicaly "zombie" computer armys. I've read about how they do that, useing 1 computer to infect 10, then those 10 infect 10, etc. and soon they have a large bunch of computers under there controll.

I've read about china's cyber army they have, it's unerveing what they could do.


We have had fun with that kinda stuff. We got a virus on on old computer that when it was activated it would start downloading porn, and calling long distance to other countrys( mostly the caribbian, and some places in africa) just to run your phone bill up( we have dial up).

What pissed us off is that the Anti viruses would only tell us it was there, but not what we could do to get rid of it.
__________________
Eppur si muove
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0NAJEEP View Post
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2010, 01:47 AM   #28
10achik
I ate what?
 
10achik's Avatar
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: STL (IL side)
Posts: 8,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
I've read about china's cyber army they have, it's unerveing what they could do.
Now imagine if you could see what they actually do first hand, what you read is the "media" version. Then imagine that since they own us, there isn't a whole lot the government will actually do about it...that's unnerving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
What pissed us off is that the Anti viruses would only tell us it was there, but not what we could do to get rid of it.
__________________
Ken

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2010, 02:14 AM   #29
Comanche_
Registered User
1985  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The not wet side,Washington
Posts: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10achik View Post
Now imagine if you could see what they actually do first hand, what you read is the "media" version. Then imagine that since they own us, there isn't a whole lot the government will actually do about it...that's unnerving.



Thats sad that our gov. doesnt find it worrying. I've read articals and reports that say that they could take the power grid down with a single click, and one of the reports said they have attempted to do it.

And ya, we had to get a new computer. the damn thing connected it'self to some vital part of windows and wouldetn let our computer guy do anything short of whipe the harddrive compleatly clean.
__________________
Eppur si muove
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0NAJEEP View Post
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2010, 04:30 AM   #30
_Kyle_
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 2,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEO_WRANGLER View Post
Gee, seems like such a duplication of effort. Your company could save time and money by just asking the gummint spooks to copy a bit of that data they're already collecting on all of us. Taxes are already paying for this 'service'... why pay for it twice, eh?

Plus I'm told many companies these days have HR people who go online and check out the 'net footprint' of potential employees. I guess the idea is if you look too radical, you don't get a job offer. And to make it ever wierder, having NO apparent net footprint is considered bad too. That means you're obviously a loner... thus a radical... bye bye. Gads.
This is true. But many people, especially my age don't realize it. I can't tell you how many people I know who have hundreds of photos of them doing stupid illegal things (smoking underage, underage drinking, underage drinking in identifiable public places, etc). Most of their profiles aren't private either. I don't have anything along those lines on anything I do, but anything I have is also locked and I don't accept people I don't personally know (i'm sure there's ways for important people to skirt that).

But large companies do scour FB and other sources to find information about employees before hiring. Do a quick Google of your name once...

__________________
-Kyle

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.