Has Facebook become too similar to the AOL of the 90's? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Has Facebook become too similar to the AOL of the 90's?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Reply
Unread 01-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces
 
dakuda's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
Posts: 3,383
Has Facebook become too similar to the AOL of the 90's?

For those of you that remember, in the 90's ads used to state an AOL Keyword. This was in tv commercials, movie trailers, magazine/newspaper ads - just about everywhere. AOL Keyword: Ford, etc.

Now, I am seeing ads in magazines and some TV commercials that have facebook.com/ourcompany almost as much. Granted, a ton of places have their own web identity now(www.oursite.com), but they still want that Facebook tie-in.

I just figured that I would share.

__________________
You can do things the right way or the wrong way.
Or you can do it MY way...which is like the wrong way, only faster.

2013 Dodge Charger | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | Ramsey Winches | www.dakuda.com
dakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
buickgnx88
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Houghton, MI
Posts: 743
I've seen both Facebook and Twitter tie-ins. What better way to advertise to the youth of today?
__________________
Rob99: It can't be a scam. There's pictures of Asian people in business suits pointing at charts and graphs.
Pvt_Joker: One time i had a taco at taco bell, later i got the runs. Therefore, all tacos ever will always make me sit on the toilet for three hours. This concludes my study.
2006sport: You just backpedaled so fast you did the moonwalk.
buickgnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Jetscuh
O rly?
2012  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Beach, DE
Posts: 1,161
Yes, I see a lot of Facebook and Twitter tie-ins nowadays.

I still reminisce every time I meet someone who has an e-mail ending in '@aol.com'
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
1990JEEPXJ
Registered User
1990 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,050
i actually see more people attatching themselves to twitter publically than facebook now.
__________________
Completely stock, and keeping it that way...

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
helicase50
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cortland, NY
Posts: 379
Yeah, I remember the aol keyword. FB and Twitter are now becoming that. Hell companies want their employees as friends.
__________________
[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]A big THANK YOU to AmbuGrl and Mudvain for upgrading me. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="Purple"]Yes, I'm a girl, I drive a TJ and like to get it dirty. Yes, I like boys. Get over it. [/COLOR]
[COLOR="Purple"]Live Fun, Ride Fast, Die Pretty ~ Chic Riders M[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=vindicated;11072220]
Did I ever mention I loved you? :kiss:
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Sarahdactyl;11072442]Hey! That's my woman you're hitting on there! <:mad:>
[/QUOTE]
Be Jealous
helicase50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
mcurcio1989
Registered User
1976 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toledo, ohio
Posts: 451
Well they aren't getting to me!!
__________________
Disregard everything i say

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
LEO_WRANGLER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SEGUIN TX
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakuda View Post
For those of you that remember, in the 90's ads used to state an AOL Keyword. This was in tv commercials, movie trailers, magazine/newspaper ads - just about everywhere. AOL Keyword: Ford, etc.
Now, I am seeing ads in magazines and some TV commercials that have facebook.com/ourcompany almost as much. Granted, a ton of places have their own web identity now(www.oursite.com), but they still want that Facebook tie-in.
I just figured that I would share.
Well, lemme tell ya my personal opinion about the facebook saga...

Waaay back (by tech standards) in the early 90's, there was prodigy. This was an example of a potentially gifted child (a 'child prodigy' ya?), that was cursed by a couple of unworthy buffoon parents -- sears + little blue. It seems that the worst aspects of both parents -- tech by little blue, marketing by sears -- was bestowed on poor prodigy. Lots of users were attracted to the pretty and colorful interface, but learned to hate the internal limitations. Then it got worse when plodigy management decided they didn't want to be an 'online community', rather, they wanted to be an online shopping service (the sears thing again). So plodigy management began systematically abusing the users, deleting posts for no reason, charging 25 cents per email, junk like that. They claimed that they didn't have enough resources on their system for all this activity... so the users kindly helped prodigy conserve system resources -- by leaving.

Where they went, was largely to another then-emerging online service, called genieus. This system was the clever use of some after-hours excess main frame resources of General Electric's corporate systems. Genieus was all text based, but compared to the garbage going on at plodigy, it was beautiful. The problem at Genieus was that the GE people handed Genie a pretty much open ended power trip, and sadly the genieus management and sysops became quite corrupt and abusive. It was a regular peyton place, with for example marriages both created and destroyed, internet bullying, the whole bit. In time, users again got tired of the garbage and left... this time, for AOL.

AOL was doing things right for a good long while there, the better part of a decade. They suffered from some of their own successful advertising, in that they too drew in more users than their system could handle -- remember all those free AOL CD's that were everywhere in the mail?? AOL tried to be not only an email provider, but an ISP provider. In the days when dialup was king, they did OK. But with the takeover of highspeed, free services from time warner and google and yahoo, pretty much ate the market base out from under AOL. They're slowly imploding now, just a shell of what they once were. They're an example of how (unlike the two predecessors plodigy and genieus) they can do everything right and still not survive.

Now enter the myspace / facebook thing. Plodigy suffered from a stuffed suit overdose. Genieus suffered from drunks and adulterers. AOL suffered from too many unsupervised kids and teenyboppers in the chat rooms (imo). And I think much of what you see on myspace/facebook is largely the same teens and gamers syndrome. Maybe its the symtom of our 'electronic cages' that we live in these days... but I've always wondered where folks find so much time for sitting in front of the computer that much. Again in my opinion, I've you've got a life, it shouldn't be centered round a modem. But then, I'm old, what do I know.
LEO_WRANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
Meiacanthus
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 90
Maybe more computer owners should go out and buy Jeeps and get themselves a life
Meiacanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
LEO_WRANGLER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SEGUIN TX
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiacanthus View Post
Maybe more computer owners should go out and buy Jeeps and get themselves a life
Yep, works for me.

Get a Jeep, and it'll change your life. It won't fully take you away from the modem... but it will tend to redirect you to healthier uses of the net.

You'll be going wheelin, then talking about your wheeling.

After wheeling, when you bust the required parts , you'll be ordering parts, talking about your wrenching, sharing pics of your work...

Then back to more wheeling. Repeat as necessary. Much mo bettah.
LEO_WRANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
PhilipJ
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicase50 View Post
Hell companies want their employees as friends.
So that they can fire their *** for stupid, non-work related, arbitrary stuff.

If I can't trust you with plausible deniability, I'm not adding you to my social network.
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
Comanche_
Registered User
1985  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The not wet side,Washington
Posts: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEO_WRANGLER View Post
Well, lemme tell ya my personal opinion about the facebook saga...

Waaay back (by tech standards) in the early 90's, there was prodigy. This was an example of a potentially gifted child (a 'child prodigy' ya?), that was cursed by a couple of unworthy buffoon parents -- sears + little blue. It seems that the worst aspects of both parents -- tech by little blue, marketing by sears -- was bestowed on poor prodigy. Lots of users were attracted to the pretty and colorful interface, but learned to hate the internal limitations. Then it got worse when plodigy management decided they didn't want to be an 'online community', rather, they wanted to be an online shopping service (the sears thing again). So plodigy management began systematically abusing the users, deleting posts for no reason, charging 25 cents per email, junk like that. They claimed that they didn't have enough resources on their system for all this activity... so the users kindly helped prodigy conserve system resources -- by leaving.

Where they went, was largely to another then-emerging online service, called genieus. This system was the clever use of some after-hours excess main frame resources of General Electric's corporate systems. Genieus was all text based, but compared to the garbage going on at plodigy, it was beautiful. The problem at Genieus was that the GE people handed Genie a pretty much open ended power trip, and sadly the genieus management and sysops became quite corrupt and abusive. It was a regular peyton place, with for example marriages both created and destroyed, internet bullying, the whole bit. In time, users again got tired of the garbage and left... this time, for AOL.

AOL was doing things right for a good long while there, the better part of a decade. They suffered from some of their own successful advertising, in that they too drew in more users than their system could handle -- remember all those free AOL CD's that were everywhere in the mail?? AOL tried to be not only an email provider, but an ISP provider. In the days when dialup was king, they did OK. But with the takeover of highspeed, free services from time warner and google and yahoo, pretty much ate the market base out from under AOL. They're slowly imploding now, just a shell of what they once were. They're an example of how (unlike the two predecessors plodigy and genieus) they can do everything right and still not survive.

Now enter the myspace / facebook thing. Plodigy suffered from a stuffed suit overdose. Genieus suffered from drunks and adulterers. AOL suffered from too many unsupervised kids and teenyboppers in the chat rooms (imo). And I think much of what you see on myspace/facebook is largely the same teens and gamers syndrome. Maybe its the symtom of our 'electronic cages' that we live in these days... but I've always wondered where folks find so much time for sitting in front of the computer that much. Again in my opinion, I've you've got a life, it shouldn't be centered round a modem. But then, I'm old, what do I know.

AOL better not die. They are still the only Internet you can get were i live. Highspeed stops about 3 miles away, sure you can get cellphone internet, but they want $70 a month and you can only have 2 computers set up with it.
__________________
Eppur si muove
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0NAJEEP View Post
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #12
helicase50
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cortland, NY
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
So that they can fire their *** for stupid, non-work related, arbitrary stuff.

If I can't trust you with plausible deniability, I'm not adding you to my social network.
Haha, yeah that's why I never add my boss's or jobs. However, it is a great way to check on your employees if you want to fire them or something.
__________________
[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]A big THANK YOU to AmbuGrl and Mudvain for upgrading me. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="Purple"]Yes, I'm a girl, I drive a TJ and like to get it dirty. Yes, I like boys. Get over it. [/COLOR]
[COLOR="Purple"]Live Fun, Ride Fast, Die Pretty ~ Chic Riders M[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=vindicated;11072220]
Did I ever mention I loved you? :kiss:
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Sarahdactyl;11072442]Hey! That's my woman you're hitting on there! <:mad:>
[/QUOTE]
Be Jealous
helicase50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #13
Supacheef
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
AOL better not die. They are still the only Internet you can get were i live. Highspeed stops about 3 miles away, sure you can get cellphone internet, but they want $70 a month and you can only have 2 computers set up with it.
Check with Verizon... I pay 52 a month with my minimal discount and have a wifi card from them. I use it on as many computers as I like, and if there are two or three of us somewhere without wifi everyone can use my signal. Def check with Verizon. Sprint is the only other decent provider of aircards i think....

P.S.... It is faster than AOL, and worth it
__________________
1997 TJ no mods thus far, just trying to get her running ship shape to be my DD...

Last edited by Supacheef; 01-28-2010 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: add
Supacheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #14
LEO_WRANGLER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SEGUIN TX
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
AOL better not die. They are still the only Internet you can get were i live. Highspeed stops about 3 miles away, sure you can get cellphone internet, but they want $70 a month and you can only have 2 computers set up with it.
I think we're still good on dialup AOL for a while. I used it for nearly 10 years, and only just recently went away from dialup since Road Runner was already coming with the cable package.

I'm a hard sell for upgrade -- was still using a 486 running DOS / Win31 until (a moment of silence please) my late system left us... hence no longer the need for dialup. Finally got a nice little Toshiba Satellite and a wireless router... wow, James dragged kicking and screaming into the 21'st century .
LEO_WRANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #15
Comanche_
Registered User
1985  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The not wet side,Washington
Posts: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supacheef View Post
Check with Verizon... I pay 52 a month with my minimal discount and have a wifi card from them. I use it on as many computers as I like, and if there are two or three of us somewhere without wifi everyone can use my signal. Def check with Verizon. Sprint is the only other decent provider of aircards i think....

P.S.... It is faster than AOL, and worth it

My grandpa got Verison, If i remember right.$65 a month and The program they gave him to install only will work on 2 computers.

Mabey someday, when i have money, and a job. It is nice though, being able to use a laptop anywere you can get a signal.
__________________
Eppur si muove
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0NAJEEP View Post
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.