Has anyone made tire chains? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Has anyone made tire chains?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 11-23-2009, 05:37 AM   #1
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Has anyone made tire chains?

Just curious.

I am building an old Nissan truck with dual transfercases, 38s and tons. 38s are well used, but still have tread. However for a trail only rig and for the wicked ice sheets we get on trails here, I talked to my friends about literally making permanent chains for the tires.

I don't know how, but all I have thought of doing is just welding all the links solid. I cant afford chains or tires anytime soon so this is really the next best thing.

What do we think about this?

ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

upppppppppppppp
Unread 11-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
Hoobly_Goob
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If it's not going on the road, I know some people that ride motorcycles on ice put studs in the tires.

Utah Jeep Crew
Hoobly_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
Comanche_

you can make them just buy heavy chain, and if you make them, you can design the best patten.
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 12:02 AM   #5
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Kinda what I figured.

Anyone have tips?
Unread 11-24-2009, 02:46 AM   #6
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

I would not weld the links together. They would probably just break apart again anyway. If you are going to make your own though you want to make them as tight to the tire as possible with no play whatsoever. Maybe fab up some kind of tensioner. Like an upgraded version of those big "rubberbands" they use on regular store bought chains.
Unread 11-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would suggest doing studs. Maybe a 1/4 nut/bolt with fender washers on the inside and a smaller washer on the outside. Chop the bolt off at the nut and carry some tire patches/air source in case you lose one and get a flat.

I'm sure you'll be able to turn on a dime. I used to do this on my mountain bike during the winter. It was pretty cool to be able to haul *** across a frozen lake.

http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f53/...s-death-22365/

I had a friend whos front tires fell into the ice and couldnt get the grip to back out. The tires worked their way down to below the ice line. It took three winches and a good amount of time to get him free. The results were a ripped off bumper, bent frame, and a few angry Paragon employees that were kept late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."

Last edited by Divinitous; 11-24-2009 at 08:55 AM..
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
PDX_XJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Why? You've got a tensioner already! Air down, put the tires on, air back up. (Just kidding, I know how diameter works)

I saw some home-made chains last year. They were done with those screw-open chain links, rather than welds:

He kept his tight with those black molded rubber bungee cords, but you could also use any chain tightener.
Unread 11-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinitous View Post
I would suggest doing studs. Maybe a 1/4 nut/bolt with fender washers on the inside and a smaller washer on the outside. Chop the bolt off at the nut and carry some tire patches/air source in case you lose one and get a flat.

I'm sure you'll be able to turn on a dime. I used to do this on my mountain bike during the winter. It was pretty cool to be able to haul *** across a frozen lake.

studded tires of death - Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums

I had a friend whos front tires fell into the ice and couldnt get the grip to back out. The tires worked their way down to below the ice line. It took three winches and a good amount of time to get him free. The results were a ripped off bumper, bent frame, and a few angry Paragon employees that were kept late.

Those spikes are freaking nuts!

Thats a great idea!

Although, they look fragile just getting the truck on and off a trailer.

I think I want something more removeable, but thats intense and would work great with tubes.
Unread 11-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I made a set for some 38's I had on a Dodge truck and used those screw chain links and the only issue I had was a couple of them came uncrewed and fell off but other than that they worked great and I beat the living heck out of them. I cheated thow I started with a smaller set of chains and just added to them but even from scratch they are easy to do but do get expensive with all the parts.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
Mykul
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinitous View Post

http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f53/...s-death-22365/

Has anyone actually done this (bolts through the tread)? I'm thinking of doing this or something similar with chains bolted across the tread, with my SRA's after I'm done with them.
Mykul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
tymbom

Why try and reinvent the wheel? Get some semi truck tire chains. I had a set for my truck when I had 40s on it. They were about the right diameter, so you would only have shorten the ends a little...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.