Harley Night Train, anyone have one? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Harley Night Train, anyone have one?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
03rubiconMG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Harley Night Train, anyone have one?

I am looking into getting a mid 2000s harley night train and i have a few questions if anyone knows much about them.

Do they all have the 96 CI engine?

is 15,000 miles much at all for a harley?

What is a lot of miles for a harley.

is there anything i should be specific to look for in one.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3374/...376a0a33_o.jpg
03rubiconMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The 96ci was not introduced until 07 or 08 i think. the same time they brough out that motor they introduced catalytic convertors to the bike. A year after they went to an electronic throttle, which a lot of people have had issues with so far. I think the 6 speed was also introduced with this motor too. You can add a 6 speed to an 88ci if you wish though... I would like to note that even though these motors have a bigger displacement and 6 speed trans, they are performing about the same as the 88ci's did.

As far as miles, i had an 04 Road King Custom with the 88ci EFI motor and 14k. The only issue i had with it was the computer took a crap on me and had to be replaced. But from what i have seen mine was a rare case. Even with 14k on the motor it ran like new with almost no issues (computer makes it "almost").

As far as how many miles are a lot for a harley, or any new bike now days. I'm not sure what the magic number is, but i know of a lot of people that have riden their bikes daily for years upon years and have had no issues even with high mileage.

I would say that for a used bike, you need to make sure that what ever has been done to it, that it was done properly. For example, if an exhaust was put on the computer needs to be adjusted/tuned. Also if you can, find out if he has all the service records, and preferably ran a good synthetic oil.

My current 06 Road King Custom has been a local bike, and i had the benefit of knowing that the local dealership has done all the services and exhaust/tune work on it.

Other than that, these bikes are very good and reliable. Just dont get in a hurry to buy one. I almost picked up one before my current 06 and i am really glad i didn't.

97 Jeep Wrangler
4.0, 5 speed AX-15, D44 & Ford 8.8 w/Detroit - 4.88, NP-231, OME 2.5" coils w/1.25" spacers on front, 1.25" JKS BL, 35X12.50R15 KM2 on 15x8 Eagle alloys, Banks Header, Banks Monster Exhaust, Brown Dog MML, Rhino Liner, Tuffy Glove Box, AtoZ Rockers, Optima Red Top Battery.

1998 GMC Yukon

Wilmington weekly 4x4 meet
Jakemd98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
helicase50
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I know you can customize them as much as jeeps. I am chopping a sportster now.

15k is not a lot for one. My dad has put on 20k in a summer easily. Just check on the price and condition, make sure they didn't **** anything up.

[COLOR="Purple"]Yes, I'm a girl, I drive a TJ and like to get it dirty. Yes, I like boys. Get over it. [/COLOR]
[COLOR="Purple"]Live Fun, Ride Fast, Die Pretty ~ Chic Riders M[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=vindicated;11072220]
Did I ever mention I loved you? :kiss:
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Sarahdactyl;11072442]Hey! That's my woman you're hitting on there! <:mad:>
[/QUOTE]
Be Jealous
helicase50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
scooter
1982 CJ7 

I cant remember what years the N/T was offered, but heres some basic Twin cam info. Item #1 all Twin cam engines at some point will need the cam chain tensioner shoes replaced or changed to a S&S or other gear drive with bigger cams. Ive seen the guide material peel away at 15K and some at 50K miles. HD reccomends checking or changing at 40K or so. The result of not is metal fragments circulating in the bottom end, crank and bearings,cams and bgs,cam plate,oil pump may be damaged and gets real expensive. A gear drive swap is around $1200+ installed,stock replacement install is around $650 dealer done. Most guys say after 03 the cranks are junk and many issues with them twisting have been documented,also some Dyna modles suffered a inner primary bearing failure since HD decided to eliminate the alignment pins,FI is also on newer bikes except baggers which had W/M FI since 98 or so.Personally I dont care for FI but thats just me as its harder and more $$$ to tune and mess with.
Either a EVO or TC engine will last 100K + easy if ridden/maintained with any respect. Older EVO motors are great also,but its common to have base,and rocker box gasket leaks buy now most have been upgraded to new style gaskets.most I say as I still have a 93 Springer with 13K on it and all original. HD`s are what they are kinda like a Jeep, an aquired taste.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
ISurvivedNMU
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had an 07 Nightrain. Nice bike but it was kind of an imbetween bike. Its still a fairly low end softtail so long rides were not always fun. I am 6'3" so I put the ness forward control extenders on it and it was better. For the money, I would try to find a road king. Less sporty, but you could ride it all day and be comfortable.

If you are stuck on the nighttrain, maybe look at some other custom bikes as they can ride just as well and hold thier value better.
Unread 01-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
z06rider
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I believe 07 up have the 200MM rear tire. Which makes it look much better IMO. Also in 07, the 96" engine got the "B" designation, for balanced.

I have and 07 and its a good bike. Its no long hauler or anything, but fun.

BTW its for sale...
z06rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
xxxflhrci

I've been riding and wrenching on HD's years. I know a bit about them.....

The Twin Cam came out in '99 in Dyna's and Touring bikes. Softails in '00. Up to '06, they were 88". '07 and up got the 96". There are better years than others....'99-02 have the best bottom ends. They have forged cranks unlike the later bike's cast cranks. '02 and up models have an improved fuel injection. The list goes on and on.....Yep, cam chain tensioners are a wear item in them. They last anywhere from 20k miles to well over 100k. It's a crapshoot. The last 3 years or so have a newer hydaulic tensioner compared to the older spring loaded ones. The newer ones reportedly last a lot longer.

I bought a 2000 Road King Classic new. Currently, I have 77k miles on it. I have had no trouble out of it other than a small fix or two. I swapped out my cam chain tensioner set up for an S&S gear drive at 52k miles. My tensioners were still in pretty good shape. The bike still runs as good as new, or actually a little better with the Andrews cams that are in it and fuel injection tuner I have on it.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
03rubiconMG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06rider View Post
I believe 07 up have the 200MM rear tire. Which makes it look much better IMO. Also in 07, the 96" engine got the "B" designation, for balanced.

I have and 07 and its a good bike. Its no long hauler or anything, but fun.

BTW its for sale...
How much?

I really like the fatter tire and the newer ones but my budget is about 10K

Unread 01-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
DEERSLAYER94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rubiconMG View Post
How much?

I paid 16.500 for mine new in 07, then lowered the rear end put the plate on the swingarm had vance and hines big shot radius pipes installed and dyno'd. Awsome bike!!
Nightcrew Member #093

DEER--- It's whats for supper!!
DEERSLAYER94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rubiconMG View Post
How much?

harleys hold their value like crazy... will be hard to get a low mile night train for 10k

97 Jeep Wrangler
4.0, 5 speed AX-15, D44 & Ford 8.8 w/Detroit - 4.88, NP-231, OME 2.5" coils w/1.25" spacers on front, 1.25" JKS BL, 35X12.50R15 KM2 on 15x8 Eagle alloys, Banks Header, Banks Monster Exhaust, Brown Dog MML, Rhino Liner, Tuffy Glove Box, AtoZ Rockers, Optima Red Top Battery.

1998 GMC Yukon

Wilmington weekly 4x4 meet
Jakemd98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #11
DEERSLAYER94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakemd98 View Post
harleys hold their value like crazy... will be hard to get a low mile night train for 10k
x2 I have seen older model Trains 00-02 for about 10,000-12,000 but nothing after 06 (new design) good luck though OP im sure their out there.
Nightcrew Member #093

DEER--- It's whats for supper!!
DEERSLAYER94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
xxxflhrci

Eh, the bottom has fallen out of the used HD market. The market it is flooded and the economy sucks. You might see people asking big bucks, but very few are getting it. There are lots of low mile Big Twins out there that can be had for under 10k bucks.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
MTSkull
2001 XJ Cherokee 

One thing I would recommend is try to decide what type of riding you want to do. Bar hoping, short rides and occasional trips are great even with a passenger. But Iron Butt riding (long distance) you will want a bagger! If you have a locaol shop that rents bikes, it would be worth the money to try before you buy!
Unread 01-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #14
scooter
1982 CJ7 

Its a buyers market,cash in hand will do wonders but I will say area has a lot to do with the price. Here in my neck of the woods,prices are pretty decent,head east 2 hours and its laughable what folks are asking. If people are actually selling at the prices I see I could make a comfy living buying here and selling there doubling my investment,also seems dealers are holding out price wise,if not their outta buisness with big overhead. Also IMO ebay prices are a joke.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
03rubiconMG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i keep hearing that the night train is not that great for long rides, which i do plan on making. I have riden a harley 105 anniversary dyna 250 miles in a day before, i was a little sore but probably just because that was the first time in over a year i had ridden.

Are other soft tails more comfortable? im 23 so i could handle a little discomfort from the night train. what would anyone out there reccomend? I dont want a road king or anything like that, i want a stripped down bike, no storage or anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.