harbor freight winch - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > harbor freight winch

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 01-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #16
bremz8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by him View Post
Isn't that why people buy these winches?
i dont think you understand just how unreliable harbor fright is. spend 250 dollars 6 times or 1000 dollars once.

Unread 01-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #17
him
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremz8 View Post
i dont think you understand just how unreliable harbor fright is. spend 250 dollars 6 times or 1000 dollars once.
I have a good idea about HF. I still use some power tools I bought from them 15+ years ago. My home workshop has a dust collection system and $1000 cabinet saw I bought from them about about 10 years ago...works fine. I wouldn't buy a table saw blade from them though...I have Forest blades that ran me north of $100/ea to go in that HF saw. The combo is awesome.

More to the point...

The people posting on this thread, who own these winches, say they last years. Spend $250 every 4 years and it'll take you 16 years to reach the same price as a $1000 winch... which may be a very good deal when you realize that in 16 years your needs may be totally different anyway.

As I said before... I would be hesitant to buy one... but you should make an informed decision rather than jumping to conclusions.
him is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #18
bremz8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a good idea about HF. I still use some power tools I bought from them 15+ years ago. My home workshop has a dust collection system and $1000 cabinet saw I bought from them about about 10 years ago...works fine. I wouldn't buy a table saw blade from them though...I have Forest blades that ran me north of $100/ea to go in that HF saw. The combo is awesome.

More to the point...

The people posting on this thread, who own these winches, say they last years. Spend $250 every 4 years and it'll take you 16 years to reach the same price as a $1000 winch... which may be a very good deal when you realize that in 16 years your needs may be totally different anyway.

As I said before... I would be hesitant to buy one... but you should make an informed decision rather than jumping to conclusions.
when im trying to pull myself out of rising flood waters(yes i have been in this position.) my winch MUST work. so spend 1000 and keep my jeep or spend 250 and lose it.
Unread 01-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
him
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
when im trying to pull myself out of rising flood waters(yes i have been in this position.) my winch MUST work. so spend 1000 and keep my jeep or spend 250 and lose it.
Yep. But that's you. I've never lived anywhere where that was even a remote possibility. You are stuck buying a more expensive winch (or insurance), where I'm far better off spending $250 on a winch and $750 on a pistol.

In other words, you should spend your money to deal with realistic threats for your environment. A $1000 winch can be a seriously bad way to spend your money.
Unread 01-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #20
bremz8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i guess if you dont mind getting stranded.
Unread 01-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #21
him
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
i guess if you dont mind getting stranded.
A winch isn't needed to get unstuck. It's a convenience tool.

I've never gotten stranded. Never carried a winch either. Come-alongs, hi-lifts rigged for pulling, helpful people (no, not with winches... with hands and feet and sometimes ample paunches), shovels, rocks, etc have always worked to get me unstuck...but they're a lot of work compared to hooking up a cable and pushing a button on a remote control. If the winch I installed yesterday, my first winch on a jeep, fails I'll still have all my real recovery equipment.

Will you be able to deal when your winch fails?
Unread 01-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #22
TheJunkMan2005
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So, in 2004, I bought a harbor freight winch for my car scrapping trailer, against what I was told here. So, took 1wk to fry the motor. HF sent me a replacement free of charge.

Now, fast forward 7yrs, I still have it. I did scrap metal commercially for years, and this winch has lasted thru it all. I had the motor rebuilt twice by the local electrical shop, and it still works. Yeah, I dropped a couple cars on it, excavator bucket, had to move the solenoids to a metal box that could take a hit, but I still have it. The brake doesn't work, but the winch does.

So, I dare anybody here to tell me when there winch went thru this much abuse and survived. Figured 3-4 cars a day, 5 days a week for close to 7yrs. Flat tires, good tires, tractors, scrap metal, and anything else that would go on my trailer has beat this winch, and it still works.

They arent that bad, I now have a champion winch on my jeep, have used it to pull out about a dozen or so stuck vehicles, including myself more than once, and its still alive.

If you can only afford an HF winch, buy it. It's better than nothing, and its as good as most any affordable winch out thre.

Len
Unread 01-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #23
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

I think as with anything from Harbor Freight it all depends on the exact item you get. I'm not talking about model number, I'm talking about serial number. When I was doing road side assistance I used a HF 12V electric impact for tire changes. The first one wouldn't undo a valve cover bolt let alone a lug nut. Took it back and the second one just about started a Discovery 2 rolling. But it only lasted two tire changes. Took it back and got a third one. I still have it and still use it. It went through 4-5 tire changes a day for 9 months.

I also picked up one of their 3,000lb racing jacks. The first one had a blown seal from the factory. Wouldn't even lift itself let alone a car. Second one I couldn't get to purge. Third one I still use. Oh, and 3,000 pounds my ***! That thing picked the entire front end of a Ram 3500 Diesel extended cab long bed dually. I don't remember what engine it had, but it was the biggest one available.

I also have one of their chop saws. My brother bought one when he built the addition to his house. The first one cut about 10 2X4's before it smoked. He ended up returning 4 before getting a good one. Once he finished the addition he sent it to me. I used it to cut scrap wood for firewood when I lived out in Minnesota. It in all reality should only be used to cut up to a 4X4 fence post. I was using it to cut 8X8's and 10" diameter branches. It sat outside for two years unprotected and uncovered. I use it now at the apartment complex maintenance in our shop. Still goes like hell even after being rained on and frozen solid for two years.

So it's not so much that they sell crap, you just need to sort through the individual crap articles to find the good ones.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #24
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasujeeper View Post
Unfortunately, your signature accurately describes the HF winch.
you took the words outta my mouth..

but if you are like me and use a winch... 2 times a year.... maybe not all that bad.
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #25
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm not such a fan of HF for constant use tools or toys. I wouldn't buy a kitchen knife or air compressor from them. For "enabler tools" ... stuff you need to finish this job, right now, but may not use again for years? HF is a good resource. For some tools (e.g. wrenches to have as raw material for when you need to grind/cut/weld up a special wrench) they are great. The problem is when you buy the wrong tool for your needs and then blame the tool.

If you want a winch to make life a little easier occasionally, with no plans to base your route choice on the idea that you can winch yourself up cliffs or something, I don't see anything wrong with looking at cheap stuff. Honestly, I think buying a $1500 winch when your needs are met by a $300 model makes you a poser. OTOH buying a $300 winch when when you really are going to be using it hard, every week, for years on end makes you a f...we'll go with optimist.

It's too easy to get hung up on underdogs sometimes. Hard not to have that affect you one way or the other.

Anyway... I was reluctant to mention this until I had powered it up, and I don't know if this is a North Texas thing or of more general interest, but...

Going through my local Sam's Club last week they had Champion 10k winches marked down to $229. These are the classic dog slow low (3.6) HP series wound motor winches, 85' of steel cable and a part number (11005) that doesn't show up on the champion web page, but the price is right. I don't know if those are anywhere else, and obviously it may not be marked down everywhere, but it's worth a look.

The $229 got me the winch/cable, a snatch block, clevis hook, mount channel, fairlead, remote, and power cables. I picked up a cheapie winch bumper and came out well under $600 all up. I still have my other recovery gear but I kinda expect that this thing will be easier and quicker. As quick as the EPi9.0S I was trying to talk myself into? No, but I installed everything yesterday and gave myself a little test pull... much easier than using the hi-lift.
Gotta disagree on one thing.
They have some AWSOME kitchen knives
I figured on getting both kids (who were going offf to college) a cheap paring knife to have something to cut up fruit and cheese and stuff. I bought a couple of those ceramic parers. That was two years ago. Those stupid things are still RAZOR sharp! I haven't gotten around to going in there but the next time I do I'm picking up one of each of the three sizes.
Their air nailers are just fine for the home user too as are the air sprayers, I did two cars and got great results. They are cheapo plastic casts and I have to replace mine because it fell off the wall one day and broke. When I do at least I'll have two pots.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #26
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-97281-XRC-Black-Winch/dp/B001CF1Y0C
$287 Shipped...and probably much better than HF.
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #27
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bird View Post
warn M8000 for $499 FTW.
I paid $430 for mine, a good winch doesn't need to cost $1000.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/d...p8500-1146261/

Spend the extra $30 and get a superwinch.

I used to have a Milemarker on my Jeep, I bought it because I was saving $100 over getting a Warn. After it letting me down several times, and never really working right, I sold it, and bought a Warn. I only go wheeling once a month at the most, but when I need a winch, I like having one that I can count on. Plus the Warn is faster, not a big deal, but it's one of those things you don't realize you needed until you have it.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #28
unlblkrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Bought it, why not the price was decent. $249.00. If it gets me out of a jam once or twice its worth it.

Unread 01-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #29
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Got my HF 10k for 219.00 with a 2 year replacement guarantee free of charge. For the number of times I use it and the fact I always wheel with other guys, im not worried the least bit.

Although I will post a funny pic of my 8k.
This is what happens when you dont use grade 8 bolts, not the winches fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
harbor freight , mile marker , winch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.