harbor freight winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > harbor freight winch

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 01-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
deerslayer123
1990 YJ Wrangler 

harbor freight winch

For all those interested I got a flier while at harbor freight that said Jan 14-17 they're having a blowout sale and their 8,000 lb winch on sale for $249.99. Reg price 359.99. From the pic it come with fair lead, cable, and clevis hook. Maybe not the best or most reliable winch on the market, but you cant beat the price. Just throwing it out there for everyone.

deerslayer123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately, your signature accurately describes the HF winch.
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
him
2010 JK Wrangler 

I laughed when I read this:

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=353

I think you have to really understand what you want from a winch before you make a decision on what to buy. A lot of people have done a lot of offroading without owning a winch, and many of the classic old products were unreliable dogs compared to a cheap modern winch...but a modern winch that can reel in at 47fpm and look pretty doing it? May very well be worth an extra $800.
him is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

I have been seriously looking at the HF winches for quite some time now and that moabjeeper story cinches the deal for me. I maybe get wheeling 4 times a year, and out of those I might use a winch once in every 6. So for an 18 month use cycle, you cannot beat a HF winch. Granted, it may not pull as fast as a Superwinch or a Warn. But it gets the job done.

And since the one and only time I've ever owned anything with a winch on it was a PTO, I honestly wouldn't know if I was losing out on anything by using a HF...
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
deerslayer123
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by him View Post
I laughed when I read this:

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=353

I think you have to really understand what you want from a winch before you make a decision on what to buy. A lot of people have done a lot of offroading without owning a winch, and many of the classic old products were unreliable dogs compared to a cheap modern winch...but a modern winch that can reel in at 47fpm and look pretty doing it? May very well be worth an extra $800.
Great read.. thanks for posting
deerslayer123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
t-bird
1998 TJ Wrangler 

warn M8000 for $499 FTW.
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:53 PM   #7
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

yes, yes you can beat the HF winch

a year after I bought it with minimal use, motor springs turned to dust and I had to replace those before the magnets did this:
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Ouch, maybe I'll just go with the hydraulic option I was originally looking at...
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #9
Coldfever
2004 TJ Wrangler 

FWIW I purchased my HF8k winch back in spring 06 and it is still going strong whenever I have needed it. (Which is not a lot compared to people who off road consistently)
Coldfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #10
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I do agree that having a HF winch is better than nothing. I have a POS Mile Marker winch that came with the jeep when I bought it. The winch will not be used much, but is there just in case. Bottom line is you get what you can afford and heck with the rest.
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 01:30 AM   #11
him
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm not such a fan of HF for constant use tools or toys. I wouldn't buy a kitchen knife or air compressor from them. For "enabler tools" ... stuff you need to finish this job, right now, but may not use again for years? HF is a good resource. For some tools (e.g. wrenches to have as raw material for when you need to grind/cut/weld up a special wrench) they are great. The problem is when you buy the wrong tool for your needs and then blame the tool.

If you want a winch to make life a little easier occasionally, with no plans to base your route choice on the idea that you can winch yourself up cliffs or something, I don't see anything wrong with looking at cheap stuff. Honestly, I think buying a $1500 winch when your needs are met by a $300 model makes you a poser. OTOH buying a $300 winch when when you really are going to be using it hard, every week, for years on end makes you a f...we'll go with optimist.

It's too easy to get hung up on underdogs sometimes. Hard not to have that affect you one way or the other.

Anyway... I was reluctant to mention this until I had powered it up, and I don't know if this is a North Texas thing or of more general interest, but...

Going through my local Sam's Club last week they had Champion 10k winches marked down to $229. These are the classic dog slow low (3.6) HP series wound motor winches, 85' of steel cable and a part number (11005) that doesn't show up on the champion web page, but the price is right. I don't know if those are anywhere else, and obviously it may not be marked down everywhere, but it's worth a look.

The $229 got me the winch/cable, a snatch block, clevis hook, mount channel, fairlead, remote, and power cables. I picked up a cheapie winch bumper and came out well under $600 all up. I still have my other recovery gear but I kinda expect that this thing will be easier and quicker. As quick as the EPi9.0S I was trying to talk myself into? No, but I installed everything yesterday and gave myself a little test pull... much easier than using the hi-lift.
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
tjthorson
2014 JK Wrangler 

I am on my second HF winch. First one went 4 years of constant exposure to the elements. I pulled down trees, and countless jeeps on trails, and cars out of ditches during the Chicago winters. It finally had the magnets crumble out on our last jeep outing at the end of the trip. Out on the trail that day I noticed it was slowing down and speeding up and smelled funny. I just took a 20% off coupon and bought another one. At around $200, and lasting 4 years, Ill take it.
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #50
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Gecko Green (Wife's DD)
Gecko Green Jeep Club Member #1
2005 Yellow Unlimited Rubicon (sold)
My Band! -> http://www.forgethannah.com
http://www.toddsplace.com
tjthorson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #13
carguy68ssrs
1977 CJ5 

Who really cares what it looks like when your stuck?? Like in the article, if it don't work when you need it, really does'nt matter whos name is on it
carguy68ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #14
bremz8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

save your money.
Unread 01-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #15
him
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremz8 View Post
save your money.
Isn't that why people buy these winches?

Tags
harbor freight , mile marker , winch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.