H2 V.S. Jeep What's the best tow strap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > H2 V.S. Jeep What's the best tow strap?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-10-2003, 09:11 PM   #1
franco802

H2 V.S. Jeep What's the best tow strap?

Ok guys and gals, IT'S ON!!!! My buddy with the H2 is going to follow me in the hellhole trails of corral canyon!!! He is still blabbering about how bad he will leave me out in the trails! My other Jeep buddy just gave me a 4" wide 35ft. long towstrap rated at 18,000 lbs. I also have two 3" wide 18ft. long tow straps rated at 15,000 lbs. This is no joke, will this be enough tow straps ? and...are they strong enough with that kind of weight rating to pull out an H2? Also, I am going to purchased a skidplate for my steering box, what is the best out there?? My buddy is now a member at the "H2 source "forum and is probably already talking ***** about my jeep over there,whatever.

USCDAD.....you are welcome to join us as well as anyone else who wants to go from this forum. The trip is being planned for this saturday. There will be an 04' TJ white (myself), an 89' YJ with a 2" lift with 31's, a white 1985 Toyota pick up 4x4, and the ******* in the H2. This will be a stock against stock competition. We will be leaving at 8 a.m. saturday morning. I am going to have one person shooting with a digital camera for the forum pics and another person videotaping with a super8(sorry,no digital) camera. Worse comes to worse i will have my buddy in the YJ pull me out if i get stuck.

04' X, 5 speed, 4.0L,hardtop,kilby PS armor,Warn rock guards,2"RE BB w/DT3000 shocks, hi-lift jack,15x8 Black crawlers with 31x10.5 Procomp X-Terrains, Hurst short throw shifter Hella 500's offroad AND driving lights . Warn X8000i winch w/ Tomken mounting plate
White Jeep Club member #802
FOLLOW ME TO CERTAIN DEATH JEEP CLUB MEMEBER #21
SoCal Jeep Club Member #4
2006 GTO & 1986 K5 Blazer
franco802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2003, 09:32 PM   #2
MrMischief
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Where are you located? I've seen some video tape of H2 owners "offroading". I'd like to follow one on a jeep trail.
MrMischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2003, 09:37 PM   #3
Bob J

I wouldn't use more then one good strap.

you'll usually damage your drivetrain before you snap a good strap, even 15,000 lbs is more then a Jeep can handle.

Sig v.55
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2003, 09:47 PM   #4
thephantum
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by franco802
Ok guys and gals, IT'S ON!!!! My buddy with the H2 is going to follow me in the hellhole trails of corral canyon!!! He is still blabbering about how bad he will leave me out in the trails! My other Jeep buddy just gave me a 4" wide 35ft. long towstrap rated at 18,000 lbs. I also have two 3" wide 18ft. long tow straps rated at 15,000 lbs. This is no joke, will this be enough tow straps ? and...are they strong enough with that kind of weight rating to pull out an H2? Also, I am going to purchased a skidplate for my steering box, what is the best out there?? My buddy is now a member at the "H2 source "forum and is probably already talking ***** about my jeep over there,whatever.

USCDAD.....you are welcome to join us as well as anyone else who wants to go from this forum. The trip is being planned for this saturday. There will be an 04' TJ white (myself), an 89' YJ with a 2" lift with 31's, a white 1985 Toyota pick up 4x4, and the ******* in the H2. This will be a stock against stock competition. We will be leaving at 8 a.m. saturday morning. I am going to have one person shooting with a digital camera for the forum pics and another person videotaping with a super8(sorry,no digital) camera. Worse comes to worse i will have my buddy in the YJ pull me out if i get stuck.
Well it sounds like you have enough tow straps but no snatch straps. A tow strap is one thing and a snatch strap is another. Which you will use depends on the type of recovery needed. For a vehicle that is stuck or bogged down (in mud for instance) a snatch recovery will be needed.

A Snatch recovery differs from a normal tow recovery because the line connecting the two vehicles is not tensioned prior to the recovery (as in a tow recovery) and it relies on the elastic properties of the strap to work properly.

I usually hit the trail with 2 - 3"X30' 18,000 lb tow straps and 2 - 3" x 30', 25,000 lb snatch straps, although most of the time I only need the tow straps due on the terrain I usually wheel on.

Good Luck, I'm looking forward to seeing those pics!

Rock On!

Steve

[B][size=3][url=http://www.links4jeeps.com/in.php?id=893/]Links 4 Jeeps - Yup, they're free here too[/url][/size][/B]

[URL=http://www.fm2cd.com/chapters/VA_Chapter/VA_Members.htm#cname]
97 XJ Sport 2 door with a bunch of stuff[/URL]

[url=http://www.fm2cd.com/chapters/VA%20Chapter/VA%20Members.htm#dname]
02 TJ Sport with a bunch of stuff[/url][/center]
thephantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2003, 10:17 PM   #5
franco802

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMischief
Where are you located? I've seen some video tape of H2 owners "offroading". I'd like to follow one on a jeep trail.
La mesa ,California
I am going to try to find someone that will let me use their digital camcorder.
04' X, 5 speed, 4.0L,hardtop,kilby PS armor,Warn rock guards,2"RE BB w/DT3000 shocks, hi-lift jack,15x8 Black crawlers with 31x10.5 Procomp X-Terrains, Hurst short throw shifter Hella 500's offroad AND driving lights . Warn X8000i winch w/ Tomken mounting plate
White Jeep Club member #802
FOLLOW ME TO CERTAIN DEATH JEEP CLUB MEMEBER #21
SoCal Jeep Club Member #4
2006 GTO & 1986 K5 Blazer
franco802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2003, 10:27 PM   #6
jackal

kick *** and take names

kick *** and take names my friend, God speed...and whoop that H2's *** for all of us!
Poweraide Throttle Body Spacer,
BanksPower Stinger CAT-BACK,
Advanced Adapters SYE kit
Krylon Fusion Flares!
Skyjacker Dual Steering-Stabilizer
R.E. 5.5" Long-arm Coils
1" Body Lift,
37" MT/Rs on 15"x10" wheels
[B][I]If they ain't singin'...they ain't slingin'!![/I][/B]
$1000 sound system inside!
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2003, 10:36 PM   #7
MrMischief
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well I found this video. Thought I'd post it in this thread just for lack of a better place. It's about 80 mb so dialup users beware.

http://www.alecwallis.com/video/coloradowheeling3.wmv
Unread 11-10-2003, 11:06 PM   #8
Devious
Hobo

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'll give him some credit, atleast he did take it off road.
Unread 11-10-2003, 11:42 PM   #9
MrMischief
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've owned my jeep for 6 months so far. It's been offroad probably about 75% of the weekends. 12,000 miles. only damages so far are a cut window from some crank head (yes it's confirmed, he was caught and had meth on him) and just last friday I was rearended. The window was repaired, not even a scratch from the honda that hit me. I'm going to cry like a little girl when I finally get a scratch in the paint. Now that's with a $20,000 vehicle. let's more then double that.... I don't think I would drive an H2 offroad. Although I suppose if that guy has an H2, a nice looking winch, I believe he has some nerf bars, a nice camcorder, I'm assuming a halfway decent computer.... he doesn't have to worry about no stinking dents. He'll just pay a bum like me to repair them. I'd do it for $35 so I could pay for the wheel locks I had to buy since the crank head (mentioned earlier) decided he wanted the key.
Unread 11-10-2003, 11:49 PM   #10
PrfctAggression
Web Wheeler

I DEFINITELY want to see pics/video of this, and I know the guys over at www.pavementsucks.com (general 4x4 site, mostly fullsizes) will want to see this. Maybe it'll shut up the ones there who think the H2 is a good off-road vehicle.

As krazykracker said, at least this guy has the sack to take it off-road. All the H2's I see around here are kept immaculate.
[COLOR=yellow]Yellow Jeep Club and Redneck Jeep Club member #666 [/COLOR]
PrfctAggression is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2003, 11:58 PM   #11
isezumi00

Your friend is a complete moron or incredibly wealthy, repairing an H2 costs serious green, and Lease Agency is mostly likely going to charge him for being a tard.
isezumi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2003, 05:37 AM   #12
D4FS4

But if somehow you fail we will kill you.

Unread 11-11-2003, 06:25 AM   #13
PM Thor
Super Duper Guy

Location: Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour
I don't get it. I respect the original Hummer because it is just a converted military vehicle (what other vehicle does that remind you of?), but the H2 is not that vehicle.
How can an H2 owner even try to compare a vehicle that has a 1 year history of production to an off roader that has 60 years to prove itself? Plus if you are willing to drop that serious cash for an H2 you are obviously oblivious to the idea of buying a Rubicon and getting oh say maybe a Harley soft tail too for the same price. Waste your cash on a vehicle that has no proven track record. Schmuck...
Unread 11-11-2003, 07:25 AM   #14
nxsTJ28

Why are you even worried about pulling him out? When he gets stuck just leave his @ss there and let him beg someone else to get him out.
nxsTJ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2003, 07:42 AM   #15
Savage4x4

man that is gonna be fun. im sure that he will be able to do somethings on the trail, i mean it does have a better than average 4x4 system, but its WAY too heavy and huge. I think when the going gets tough its weakness will show up pretty quick. Just a note for ya, make sure you check all your stuff out on the jeep. the last thing you need to do is break down out there because you didnt check something, itll give him something more to blab about. im not saying you dont keep up with your rig ive got no idea just want you to be able to whoop up on him! Once he gets pulled out by a jeep he will mellow out, remember he is your 'friend' right? keep us posted!
Savage4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.