Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Guys who wear their ID tag to a bar

2K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  98muddyjeep 
#1 ·
Why do they do it? On countless occasions, I've seen up to several men a night wear their work ID tag around their neck. Do they think they will pick up more girls or something? It seems quite pathetic and narcissistic. My tag stays in my desk during the day and remains there overnight, unless I'm out in the field.

Short rant, sorry.

#2 ·
You think that's bad? I can't wait to get my scrubs off as soon as possible. I don't even like getting in my jeep with them on most of the time. Yet I see dudes go to the gym working out in scrub bottoms like a girl is going to think they are a doctor. Vet techs aren't fooling anyone. Haha

#3 ·
Sometimes I go to the bar in my work clothes depending how dirty they are. But then again its just a t shirt and a pair of jeans.

sent using the force

#4 ·
haha I remember when I was in Ocean City like 5 years ago and saw two Soldiers (probably Nat Guard) cruising the boardwalk in full ACUs trying to pick up girls. Like BRO did you just get out of basic or something?

I've seen the ID thing too. Lots of people go to the bar straight after work and just don't care I guess.

#33 ·
haha I remember when I was in Ocean City like 5 years ago and saw two Soldiers (probably Nat Guard) cruising the boardwalk in full ACUs trying to pick up girls. Like BRO did you just get out of basic or something?
It drives me nuts when I see stuff like that, although I don't see what being Nat'l Guard would have to do with it. If you're in uniform, you're representing something bigger than yourself. Wear civilian clothes if you need to go boozing. My favorite was a Marine recruiter that used to frequent the bars in my college town wearing his full dress uniform. I wonder how many people he managed to recruit while boozing it up?

As far as name tags, I can see where people forget to take them off, or they just don't want to have a big old badge in their pocket. If they're legitimately trying to use it to impress someone, I suppose that's pretty sad, but I've seen some really sad attempts in my day.

#5 ·
I left work this morning and went to a diner in downtown with my wife... I noticed while setting at the table that I had my badge on me... Snatched it off and stuck it in my pocket. If I'm not in my work uniform (with the silly sewed on nametag), I'm expected to wear my ID either on my pocket or clipped to my collar. Forgot it when I stepped out I suppose...

#8 ·
I worked as a contractor at several military bases and after a while you stop even noticing having a card hung on your neck. Plus the resulting chaos from not having it always available or losing it is not worth letting it out of sight.

#9 ·
Jbolty is spot on. We can't get into any buildings at all without our ID card, so if I leave it somewhere and show up at work, I need to go to reception and then spend the rest of the day with a sticker of shame and need to get buzzed in everywhere. Total pain in the *** if I forget it, so in general, I keep it on me.

Generally I'm not going to the bar to pick up girls, I'm going because my whiskey to blood level is out of whack and needs a refill. So frankly, I don't give a **** if people think it's weird that I don't bother to take my ID tag off.

#10 ·
Yah I keep mine under my shirt. They look stupid hanging out and I don't want everyone I come across to know my name.

But bars that is just lazy or despite.

#12 ·
ChicagoGuy said:
Jbolty is spot on. We can't get into any buildings at all without our ID card, so if I leave it somewhere and show up at work, I need to go to reception and then spend the rest of the day with a sticker of shame and need to get buzzed in everywhere. Total pain in the *** if I forget it, so in general, I keep it on me.

Generally I'm not going to the bar to pick up girls, I'm going because my whiskey to blood level is out of whack and needs a refill. So frankly, I don't give a **** if people think it's weird that I don't bother to take my ID tag off.
Exactly right. If I do happen to notice that I left my badge on I'll put it in my pocket. 75% of the time I am walking home when I realize it's still clipped to my belt.

Guys who think that people would wear their work badges as a sign for ladies, seriously don't understand women in the least.

Edit: just re-read my post. I'm not a cop or any LEO, might have sounded like it, but for some reason my facility calls it a badge as it has our pic/credentials and a fob to get through doors. Dunno

#16 ·
I take pride in not wearing a name badge at work, only people that need to know my name already know it.

#17 ·
This is up there with the guys who wear their Ties to the bar after work. Not only is it choking you but it always falls in your beer. Just take if off, you look like a tool. At least lower it a little and unbutton your top button.

#18 ·
I completely change clothes when I'm going to a bar. First of all, I don't want my nice suits to smell like a bar & two, It's not comfortable.

One thing I hate more than anything is I have to carry a laptop home from work & if I need to stop in a store, resturant, or anywhere else, I have to carry the damn thing in because I don't want to leave it in my soft top Jeep. I feel like a total tool walking in places with my laptop bag around my shoulder.

#35 ·
I not only leave my name tag on when I go to the bar but also the McDonalds shirt and hat. I am hoping for the pity sex. If that fails then by the end of the night I am drunk and don't care that I am a loser, that works at McDonalds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.