Gun control from a high school students pov - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Gun control from a high school students pov

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Reply
Unread 01-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #16
Balvar24
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rock Ridge
Posts: 5,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
After reading this I am more concerned about the schools teaching students how to write.

Do they still teach language Arts at your school?
This.

If you feel so strongly as to need to put your thoughts in writing, you should take the time to do so correctly and with great care. To do less is a disservice to yourself.

No matter what you think. No matter what anyone else tells you, you'll never be taken seriously until you can do so.

__________________
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
funkduck
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,179
I had a burrito.
__________________
Your loss.
funkduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #18
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.
 
RnEmOvr's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft Stewart, Ga
Posts: 10,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
After reading this I am more concerned about the schools teaching students how to write.

Do they still teach language Arts at your school?
I agree
__________________
My Jeep 2.5-4.0 Motor Swap, Very detailed Military Jeepers

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #19
fatso
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West Hartford, CT
Posts: 51
Buckle in Jon. You have a long life of governance you can't understand or don't agree with ahead of you.
__________________
Keep Working; Million(aire)s on (corporate) Welfare Depend On You.
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
andy02
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Posts: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
The following is a summary of the executive orders Obama put into action:

-----

Please point out the executive order(s) with which you don't agree. Make sure you support your argument(s) with sound reasoning. There is no minimum or maximum length required for your response - your response will be judged solely on content, form and grammar.

-----
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

This Executive Order is VERY ambiguous. In no way does it define what a "seized gun" is. As it sits, a gun removed from your person during a traffic stop is defined as seized. Does this mean that at the end of the traffic stop the LEO doesn't have to return your gun for the purpose of running a background check?

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

Being that Federally licensed gun dealers already know how to run a background check on firearms sold by them, why would they need guidance on how to run a background check. Is the system not the exact same?

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

Again, this Executive Order is very ambiguous. Seems to me that by this wording, the Federal Government could begin either an all out gun ban or restrict further firearms purchases in an "enforcement effort to prevent gun violence."

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

Excuse me? What does it matter to the doctor if I have a firearm in my house. At least so far, there has been nothing that prevents me from providing false information to a doctor.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

I put this one last because it is by far my favorite. Why would the CDC research the causes and prevention of gun violence? Is the President saying that gun violence is a disease? If that is the case then the cure should not really fall on the CDC but in fact on the FDA and pharmaceutical companies.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix
No one really knows the reason for LCOG Jeeps.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.


September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #21
funkduck
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post

I put this one last because it is by far my favorite. Why would the CDC research the causes and prevention of gun violence? Is the President saying that gun violence is a disease? If that is the case then the cure should not really fall on the CDC but in fact on the FDA and pharmaceutical companies.
I'm not anti-medicine but it seems to me maybe businesses with a profit motive may not be the best equipped parties to research the causes of extreme violence outbursts... considering how many acts of violence are carried out by persons taking SSRI's.
__________________
Your loss.
funkduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #22
fillerup
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Somewhere in Minnesota
Posts: 311
Wow, sorry, that's just too hard to read. I'm sure it's good though.
fillerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #23
NonRubicon
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The southern armpit of California
Posts: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

This Executive Order is VERY ambiguous. In no way does it define what a "seized gun" is. As it sits, a gun removed from your person during a traffic stop is defined as seized. Does this mean that at the end of the traffic stop the LEO doesn't have to return your gun for the purpose of running a background check? This is not about the seizing of a gun, but about potentially giving law enforcement the ability to run a background check if to determine if the person from who the weapon was seized, can legally possess said weapon and thereby have it returned.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

Being that Federally licensed gun dealers already know how to run a background check on firearms sold by them, why would they need guidance on how to run a background check. Is the system not the exact same? I have to agree that this is sort of (but not totally pointless) as you would expect a FFL dealer to know what they are doing. But just in case someone needs a reminder...

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

Again, this Executive Order is very ambiguous. Seems to me that by this wording, the Federal Government could begin either an all out gun ban or restrict further firearms purchases in an "enforcement effort to prevent gun violence." This order is about enforcing existing laws.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

Excuse me? What does it matter to the doctor if I have a firearm in my house. At least so far, there has been nothing that prevents me from providing false information to a doctor. This letter is to notify doctors who may be concerned about their patient's mental state that nothing prohibits them from taking action to treat any mental health issues that could turn into gun violence or to notify law enforcement of a potential threat. In the weeks prior to the Aurora, CO shootings the shooter had confided in his doctor about fantasies of shooting lots of people. His doctor did not report this to any authorities. You are correct though that nothing prevents you from lying to your doctor.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

I put this one last because it is by far my favorite. Why would the CDC research the causes and prevention of gun violence? Is the President saying that gun violence is a disease? If that is the case then the cure should not really fall on the CDC but in fact on the FDA and pharmaceutical companies. You should look up what these organizations do before suggesting they be the ones in charge. The FDA regulates the safety of food and drugs. Pharm companies just experiment with creating drugs to treat problems of all sorts. (FUN FACT: The US Geological Survey does wildlife research for the Federal government while the US Fish and Wildlife Service is not allowed to do any wildlife research. Go figure. ) Back on topic: The CDC deals with more than just disease outbreaks like the plague or the flu - and yes, mental health problems are considered a disease. The mental state of the individuals who commit mass shootings is of concern to the administration. Is there a link? The pres wants the CDC to investigate this.
Grammer and form: 8/10
Content and strength of argument: 3/10
Overall grade: 11/20 (55%)





Carry on.

NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #24
richsandwich
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross

After reading this I am more concerned about the schools teaching students how to write.

Do they still teach language Arts at your school?
Agreed
richsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #25
WJlover
Senior Member
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: portsmouth, nh
Posts: 657
gun control as i was taught.

do NOT point your barrel at anything you do not intend to kill.


and judging by the spelling and grammar and....everything else i seen, i suggest you STAY in high school. i couldnt even finish reading.
no offense bro
WJlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #26
Munch520
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
I think you would have more credibility if you spaced your paragraphs and made it a lot easier to read. Just sayin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Should probably pay more attention in your English classes...
Christ people....really? Here we have a high school student with an appreciation on the topic beyond his years.......and we discuss effing punctuation? It's the Internet. Not a SAT.

OP, bravo for separating fact from emotion in you decision-making. You'd be surprised how many 'adults' are out there parroting what the news people say, having an opinion rooted entirely in emotion with no empirical data with which to back it up.

As Greg Bell said on the NY senate floor, we (Obama) have done nothing to save any lives. The mental health system is still in shambles and idiot politicians and populace want to demonize/legislate the law abiding citizens of this country. We are screwed.
__________________
2005 WK (sold)
2011 JK Rubi (sold)
2008 Liberty
Munch520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #27
Jay12
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Gainesville, VA
Posts: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch520 View Post
Christ people....really? Here we have a high school student with an appreciation on the topic beyond his years.......and we discuss effing punctuation? It's the Internet. Not a SAT.
Would you want someone who writes like this to be the one speaking on the topic to the Vice President or somebody else making decisions about it?
__________________
Build
Jay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #28
Jonathanjr1
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
Would you want someone who writes like this to be the one speaking on the topic to the Vice President or somebody else making decisions about it?
Speaking and writing are two different things.

I know i made mistakes. When i wrote this i was not concerned about grammar, i just wanted to put what i was thinking about down.

Everyone has writen like this once in their life. Where they don't use grammer and write down what they want and how ever they want.
Jonathanjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #29
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,231
I think the op did a good job writing how he felt. Yes bullying can lead to issues however when I was in school we never use guns to solve an issue. We used our fist, You'll be surprised how many bully's can not defend theirselves in a fist fight. I was bullied all throughout school because of how my last name is pronounced. When I get fed up with the bullies I would put an end to it any they stopped after they received a good ole fashion *** kicking. I turned out fine , I am not a complete psychopath that's going into a movie theater or school blowing everyone away with my firearms. They stay locked up in the safe. With cable locks. Unless I am going to the range or desert to go target shooting.

Sent from iPhoneusing JeepForum
__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #30
AmishFury
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
Grammer and form: 8/10
Content and strength of argument: 3/10
Overall grade: 11/20 (55%)





Carry on.

I really hate to be a spelling nazi but you spelled grammar wrong.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LostJeeper View Post
GUN CONTROL lock up your damn weapons end of story. My kids will never know how to get into my gun safe. ....sorry I didnt read your page im just tired of seeing it
Locking the guns up is only part of a solution, teaching them proper firearm safety is just as important. I knew where my dad kept the key to his gun cabinet and could reach it at age 10 but I knew not to play with them. Children can always find where you keep the key or learn the combination to your gun safe.
AmishFury is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.