Graphics Work and money.....NO IDEA on what to charge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Graphics Work and money.....NO IDEA on what to charge

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
HeavyMetal
Forum God

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Graphics Work and money.....NO IDEA on what to charge

Ok so ive never done any real graphics job for people involving money, but i have been contacted by some CEO of a radio network who is the boss of someone else that i had made a logo for awhile back.

Heres an exerpt from the email i was sent

Quote:
If you go to [thewebsite] there is our banner at the top. The girl that designed it is out of pocket getting married. I need that banner but with the text changed to Wide Awakes Radio.

Can you do this and what'll it cost me?
this is the logo he wants changed

Anyone with any real experience, or with an informed opinion, i would really really be grateful for some advice here on cost, thanks all

Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles;

HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

$100 and done.
Unread 05-15-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Agree. Just get it in writing and where to send the bill upon his acceptance of final artwork. Cash is best!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
Yellowjacket TJ

Do you have access to the font?

If not you need to figure that into the cost.

Figure your hourly rate and charge him an hour (your minimum)

That should be a 10 min job in Photoshop (if it's just going back up on the web).

You might want to ask him what he plans on doing with the file....if it's for print or event banner and that's all you have to work with...your screwed.

Don't ask for anything in writing... your freelance...you going to take a radio station to court?

Just get 50% up front as good faith...if you donít need the money I would ask for trade on some good sports or concert tickets. Worth more than 100.00 and no out of pocket expense for the station. Win/Win. Then use them or sell them.

I would more be more concerned with getting the job of the girl who is going to be pregnant in a few months

So yeah 100.00 is fair
Yellowjacket TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #5
Yellowjacket TJ

http://www.wideawakesradio.com/

http://thewideawakes.org/

Ummm on second thought get it all up front and forget the tickets.

And get cash, I wouldn't want a paper trail, or next thing you know you might wind up on a "watch list"

Next time define "radio" station

Good luck!
Unread 05-15-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
HeavyMetal
Forum God

1997 XJ Cherokee 

well i wouldnt imagine it mattering who its for, theres a reason i omitted the links

i dont really know anything about them, im basically doing the job through someone ive done something for before, honestly i dont care what theyre all about, i'm just doin graphics

nothing is official

thanks for the advice though

Unread 05-15-2006, 01:59 PM   #7
xj-xile
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My wife has professional experience at this kind of thing. For what you're doing, you won't be able to charge much, maybe $50.00-$100.00. (like someone said, 1hr work @ whatever rate) It's a little questionable to be altering the work done by the woman... I hope the company has full rights to the design. They probably do, but I'm just sayin'...

As long as they pay you, preferably up front, don't worry about getting it in writing.

My wife's boss (at a bridal salon) wanted her to make a store logo for letterhead & stuff, but she refused b/c he wouldn't pay her what that's worth. Making the logo for a business, which the business will then use in all its media, is a big deal. If you're certain they are only using it as an internet banner, and not as their company logo, then go for it.

You might ask them, but I doubt you have to slavishly copy the font--after all, it doesn't match the font in the image! (i.e. "Wide Awake" doesn't match the "union, liberty, honor" font) Not to mention it should be "unity" instead of union, whatever. Good Luck.

2WD '96 XJ Country 4.0 auto -- 134,000 miles
and... see my photography
xj-xile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2006, 02:07 PM   #8
Yellowjacket TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal
well i wouldnt imagine it mattering who its for, theres a reason i omitted the links

i dont really know anything about them, im basically doing the job through someone ive done something for before

nothing is official

thanks for the advice though
Oh but it does matter HeavyMetal....
Politics not the point...just though it was humorous that's all

There is a big difference doing work for a Radio station and a internet radio station. Think about the budgets between the two and the likelyhood you are going to get paid?

Big difference between Though someone and For someone BTW...

You asked for advice and not posting the whole story Sounded like a Radio Station using words like CEO and all. Anybody can broadcast internet radio....if you want me to pull the links I will...although I think there are a few on this board who can google.

Just trying to help you out here...I wouldn't want to see you burned, but you could learn more from that than a hundred bucks though

Good Luck
Unread 05-15-2006, 02:11 PM   #9
HeavyMetal
Forum God

1997 XJ Cherokee 

well to reiterate, i am working directly with the guy in charge over it, but was referred through someone else, meaning i dont have any real link to these people other than a random referral

i do appreciate the advice, sorry if i sound defensive. i just dont want people judging the value of the work im going to do, just gotta start somewhere eh? didnt mean at all for the original post to be misleading in the scheme of things

Unread 05-15-2006, 02:33 PM   #10
Yellowjacket TJ

You not being defensive...

"but i have been contacted by some CEO of a radio network who is the boss of someone else that i had made a logo for awhile back"

This didn't sound like you were working directly with the client.

A far a judging value of the job goes...you asked about cost, Just remember....all graphic artists are whores who have to satisfy the client first...what everyone else thinks about it doesn't matter, be it esthetics or monetary value...as long as both parties feel "good" in the end. Oh yeah and once the deal is done and you are paid, the client owns it (xj-xile).

The only thing that sucks here is your fixing someone elses art (no portfolio piece for you)

Again Good Luck

BTW: I know nothing about this graphics stuff you speak of, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.