Got yelled a for 4 wheeling. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Got yelled a for 4 wheeling.

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Closed Thread
Unread 11-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #31
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
You guys reallly believe that it's okay to freely wander anywhere that's not surrounded by no-tresspassing signs posted every 10 feet?
Obviously you don't comprehend the resources involved in undertaking and maintaining such an endeavor.
You want to wander and explore? Then it's your responsibility to do the homework first.
Yep all the time. as long as you are on a legit trail, walking, horseback, 4 wheeler, jeep whatever. In my area most don't care if you travel across their land, as long as you are respectful. Find them at the right time and you may be invited to stay for dinner.

If they don't want you there they will let you know. Even than there are many public easements that are recorded and very poorly maintained going though private and public property. I have one down my property. I have planted with grass it so it isnít apparent but it is still a public road that I just happen to mow.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #32
Ferrachi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Out West you have Ranchers trespass laws, basically meaning it's too expensive to post their land every 100'. It is then implied that all land is off limits. In MN and other northern states there is no such laws protecting ranchers and thus, if it isn't posted it's implied open access. The argument is regional to politics from long ago.
Ferrachi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #33
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
So then I take it you have no experience on public land since you didn't answer my questions. Duly noted.

No, it is never okay to trespass. Where did I say that?
Your question was lightly disregarded as irrelevant. If it helps you feel any better, I've spent more time exploring and hunting public land than you've spent out of diapers - so I do understand the challenges you face. But I don't agree that you can claim ignorance as a viable defense to wander wherever you fancy and make no effort to first find out whose land you're using. You are obligated to take responsibility for your own adventures. It's not the landowner's responsibility to guide you.
chris87xj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #34
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
And people like you get land closed to the public.
Well, it's very possible that the entire state of Maine has a completely different culture than wherever you call home...

But I doubt it.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ Boot Camp[/URL]
LilyBayXJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #35
bobjp

Quote:
So then its ok for someone to enter your house if they think nobody lives there?
I'm not discussing with someone who can't see the difference between those scenarios.
Unread 11-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #36
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Your question was lightly disregarded as irrelevant. If it helps you feel any better, I've spent more time exploring and hunting public land than you've spent out of diapers - so I do understand the challenges you face. But I don't agree that you can claim ignorance as a viable defense to wander wherever you fancy and make no effort to first find out whose land you're using. You are obligated to take responsibility for your own adventures.
But in many states you have to knowing trespass, therefore the land has to be marked. Ignorance of the property line (not the law) can be a defense in this case.
In MO if you want them out you mark it, many other states are similar to this:

Missouri Revised Statutes
Chapter 569
Robbery, Arson, Burglary and Related Offenses
Section 569.145

August 28, 2013

Posting of property against trespassers, purple paint used to mark streets and posts, requirements--entry on posted property is trespassing in first degree, penalty.
569.145. In addition to the posting of real property as set forth in section 569.140, the owner or lessee of any real property may post the property by placing identifying purple marks on trees or posts around the area to be posted. Each purple mark shall be:

(1) A vertical line of at least eight inches in length and the bottom of the mark shall be no less than three feet nor more than five feet high. Such marks shall be placed no more than one hundred feet apart and shall be readily visible to any person approaching the property; or

(2) A post capped or otherwise marked on at least its top two inches. The bottom of the cap or mark shall be not less than three feet but not more than five feet six inches high. Posts so marked shall be placed not more than thirty-six feet apart and shall be readily visible to any person approaching the property. Prior to applying a cap or mark which is visible from both sides of a fence shared by different property owners or lessees, all such owners or lessees shall concur in the decision to post their own property.

Property so posted is to be considered posted for all purposes, and any unauthorized entry upon the property is trespass in the first degree, and a class B misdemeanor.

Unread 11-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #37
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
I'm not discussing with someone who can't see the difference between those scenarios.
Property is property.
Unread 11-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #38
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Easements are access roads for personal reasons and are not open to everyone. If someone owns land between a road and let's say, a utility line passing through someone's property, the company charged with maintaining the lines are allowed an easement to access them. That road isn't open to everyone. Our irrigation district here has an easement to every one of their gate valves used to back up gravity fed water but it is the job of the landowner to maintain the roads and is private property regardless. The irrigation district has legal authority to use the road but only to access their boxes. Think of an easement as a forced permission slip, not a public road.
There are so many types of easments in so many types of places:
1.1 Affirmative and negative easements
1.2 Dominant and servient estate
1.3 Public and private easements
1.4 Appurtenant and in gross easements
1.5 Floating easement
1.6 Structural encroachment
1.7 Wayleave
2 Creation
2.1 Express easement
2.2 Implied easement
2.3 Easement by necessity
2.4 Easement by prior use
2.4.1 Example
2.5 Easement by prescription
2.6 Easement by estoppel
2.7 Easement by the government
2.8 Easements distinguished from licenses
3 Termination
4 Rights
5 Trespass upon easement
6 Torrens title registration
7 See also
8 References
9 External links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easement

Unread 11-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #39
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
There are so many types of easments in so many types of places:
1.1 Affirmative and negative easements
1.2 Dominant and servient estate
1.3 Public and private easements
1.4 Appurtenant and in gross easements
1.5 Floating easement
1.6 Structural encroachment
1.7 Wayleave
2 Creation
2.1 Express easement
2.2 Implied easement
2.3 Easement by necessity
2.4 Easement by prior use
2.4.1 Example
2.5 Easement by prescription
2.6 Easement by estoppel
2.7 Easement by the government
2.8 Easements distinguished from licenses
3 Termination
4 Rights
5 Trespass upon easement
6 Torrens title registration
7 See also
8 References
9 External links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easement
Keep reading instead of just posting what you googled.
Unread 11-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #40
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

This debate is over. My personal opinion and interpretation of the laws aside, jeepforum has a zero tolerance policy on anything that could be illegal or detrimental to the wheeling community. This is not open for discussion.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.