Got yelled a for 4 wheeling. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Got yelled a for 4 wheeling.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Closed Thread
Unread 11-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #16
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Trespassing during hunting season is disgusting. My folks have 28 acres located 1/8 mile away from state game lands. When I was a kid my mother still hunted.. she walked out to her stand (on her property) one morning to encounter two idiots from Pittsburgh that figured they would hunt wherever they like. They proceeded to ask her what the hell she was doing at their stand. If it's not your land then it's your responsibility to find out who it belongs to before you enter, it's not that hard... find a house and ask.

Unread 11-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #17
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Not at all true. I am not advocating people trespass but in many states if there is a "road/easement" that is open you can travel it unless marked otherwise.

Forestry (state and federal) is also public land. There is federal and state forest surrounding much of my area. There are very few gates around. When the do need to close one here or there they take a bulldozer dozer and bush rocks in front of them. Then they push the rocks aside when the trail is back open. These roads are often not marked but open to people to drive to hunt, bike, explore or whatever. The only time you come onto a get for the most part when it comes to personal property.
Easements are access roads for personal reasons and are not open to everyone. If someone owns land between a road and let's say, a utility line passing through someone's property, the company charged with maintaining the lines are allowed an easement to access them. That road isn't open to everyone. Our irrigation district here has an easement to every one of their gate valves used to back up gravity fed water but it is the job of the landowner to maintain the roads and is private property regardless. The irrigation district has legal authority to use the road but only to access their boxes. Think of an easement as a forced permission slip, not a public road.
Unread 11-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #18
bobjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
^ Is living in the wrong century. The land was already claimed when Christopher Columbus arrived.
The reality is that if you're going to make use of public land, it's your responsibility to do the homework first and figure out exactly where the public land you intend to utliize lies, and then figure out where you actually are in order to stay on it. Wandering around wherever fancy takes you and defending it with the statement that you started out on public land that morning is not a viable defense.
And where do you spend the majority of your time off road. Badlands? The well marked park?

You have practically no state land. Have you ever even been offroad anywhere else? Someone from Indiana shouldn't be telling someone from Michigan to "just map it out." You don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm not talking about driving down some paved road surrounded by farm land and turning off where ever you like just because there's no mailbox or address sign. I'm talking about driving down a forest road that leads to an orv trail, that leads to a logging road, that leads to some other unmarked road. No, the national forest rangers and DNR do not mark all legal roads.

A simple solution to the OP's problem is to put up a $.50 sign. Most of the homes along the state land where live and like to hike have "No Trespassing" signs posted. And guess what? I don't go on their property. No map, and no GPS are as accurate as a sign.
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
And where do you spend the majority of your time off road. Badlands? The well marked park?

You have practically no state land. Have you ever even been offroad anywhere else? Someone from Indiana shouldn't be telling someone from Michigan to "just map it out." You don't know what you're talking about.
You're asking for a spanking. Illegal wheeling will not be justified here.
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #20
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Out here most land is BLM, there are fences maintained by BLM to regulate where ranchers can run cattle on BLM land. There are gates crossing roads with signs that say "Please Close Gate." The general rule is if the gate is open, leave it open, if its closed, close it behind you. Private property is to be clearly marked if the owner wants people to stay off of it. This is the Wild West, not where the OP was. Your results may very...

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #21
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

You have practically no state land. Have you ever even been offroad anywhere else? Someone from Indiana shouldn't be telling someone from Michigan to "just map it out." You don't know what you're talking about.
Location doesn't really factor into it. Plot maps are available for any place you plan to explore and GPS has taken all the work out knowing where you are. As an avid outdoorsman I've hunted, fished, hiked, wheeled, camped, and explored all of my life. And I learned at a young age how to respect others while I did it. You can't possibly believe that it's okay to trespass simply because YOU don't know where you are.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Congratulations Spokes as our August COTM!!!
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #22
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you own property, you have a responsibility to put up signs stating so.

I can not count the number of times when I have been exploring state/national land in northern Michigan and not known whether I'm on public property. There have a been few times I've rolled up on someone's house. Marked roads always end up leading to unmarked roads. ALWAYS. I have no interest whatsoever in trespassing on someone else's property. Mark your land.

Anyone who owns land bordering public land with known recreation/hunting and doesn't put up signs is an idiot. This seems to be the OP's case. He has a drive off a logging road and doesn't think to put up a sign???

And if you say, "When in doubt, stay out" or something to that effect you've definitely never been off road. If you had ever been off road, you would know exactly what it's like to wander down logging roads or state/national forest roads that split off all over the place. They are perfectly legal, but never marked.
I agree 100%. Things are exactly the same here in Maine. Although one may own private property, going onto his property cannot be considered "Trespass" unless he has "Posted" signs.

I strongly agree with the principle. If you don't want people on your land, post some signs stating so. Otherwise, your land looks no different than public land, and one cannot tell where the property begins or ends. If your private property is not posted as a no trespass zone, you have zero right to be upset with people using it.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
TJ Boot Camp
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #23
bobjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
You're asking for a spanking. Illegal wheeling will not be justified here.
How about you quote exactly where I advocated illegal wheeling? Did you get that from me suggesting that property owners mark their land so illegal wheeling or trespassing are less likely to happen?
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #24
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

You guys reallly believe that it's okay to freely wander anywhere that's not surrounded by no-tresspassing signs posted every 10 feet?
Obviously you don't comprehend the resources involved in undertaking and maintaining such an endeavor.
You want to wander and explore? Then it's your responsibility to do the homework first.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Congratulations Spokes as our August COTM!!!
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #25
bobjp

Quote:
Location doesn't really factor into it. Plot maps are available for any place you plan to explore and GPS has taken all the work out knowing where you are. As an avid outdoorsman I've hunted, fished, hiked, wheeled, camped, and explored all of my life. And I learned at a young age how to respect others while I did it. You can't possibly believe that it's okay to trespass simply because YOU don't know where you are.
Nowhere did I say it is OK. Where did I say that?

I only stated that land owners in questionable areas need to put up signs or they risk this situations.
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #26
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
^ Is living in the wrong century. The land was already claimed when Christopher Columbus arrived.
The reality is that if you're going to make use of public land, it's your responsibility to do the homework first and figure out exactly where the public land you intend to utliize lies, and then figure out where you actually are in order to stay on it. Wandering around wherever fancy takes you and defending it with the statement that you started out on public land that morning is not a viable defense. It's not the landowners responsibility to do the work for anyone to enjoy a day of meandering without putting any effort into planning.
Nope, this is a constant occurrence, even when I was dealing in real estate we would have constant border issues. Many property lines have been the corner of this creek or that big tree. Many of the issues are coming to light. I have even dealt with property that couldn't be sold until the court decided the boundaries. There are border disputes even with the people and the state and federal forestry.

Deer season starts this week end. Every year you see the fresh purple paint and new signs.

This is a direct quote from the MO hunters course "Never enter private land that is cultivated or posted, unless you have obtained permission first."

My land backs up to a field and then right to federal forest with homes intermixed. It is very easy to mistakenly find you way onto private property.

My land used to be woods and a very common hunting area, private land. It was a timber farm for a local logging mill. When I bought it many thaough it was part of forestry but it wasn’t. I built my home in 2007 and eve on Tuesday I had a couple hunter drive clown my easement scouting. They say my home and purple paint and turned around.

Most are roads are not paved or marked, in my area, many driveways and easements look exactly the same. Many forestry roads and farm roads look exactly the alike and are not marked. You can get maps here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...Forest-%20Maps

I live here:http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5127708.pdfjust south of T32.0N10.0W bordering grid 31

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #27
bobjp

Quote:
You guys reallly believe that it's okay to freely wander anywhere that's not surrounded by no-tresspassing signs posted every 10 feet?
Obviously you don't comprehend the resources involved in undertaking and maintaining such an endeavor.
You want to wander and explore? Then it's your responsibility to do the homework first.
So then I take it you have no experience on public land since you didn't answer my questions. Duly noted. I'll take your input with a grain of salt.

No, it is never okay to trespass. Where did I say that?
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #28
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It's the landowner's responsibility to post his land if he wants to keep people from accessing it.

If he doesn't take the time to do so, he has no right to be upset when people use the land.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
TJ Boot Camp
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #29
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So then I take it you have no experience on public land since you didn't answer my questions. Duly noted.

No, it is never okay to trespass. Where did I say that?
So then its ok for someone to enter your house if they think nobody lives there?

And Ross, there are property disputes all the time between landowners. I can agree with that. I've been there. However public land is rarely disputed because the government knows exactly what is theirs. It is the responsibility of the person treading to know where they're going. Nobody asks to have people enter their land without permission. That kind of thought process is like saying "she was asking to get raped". Know where you're going or stay home. I have never met an apt hunter who didn't have a topographical map and knew exactly where he or she was.
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #30
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyBayXJ View Post
It's the landowner's responsibility to post his land if he wants to keep people from accessing it.

If he doesn't take the time to do so, he has no right to be upset when people use the land.
And people like you get land closed to the public.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.