Got a sick fish - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Got a sick fish

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Got a sick fish

I have 3 bluegills, 1 pleco and a bunch of snails in a 56 gal tank. My larger bluegill has red ulcers around one gill at first it was just 1 but I noticed another one has formed. I previously thought it was from being aggressive and killing 6 fish we got from the store but im doubting that as it was over 2 weeks ago. It kinda looks like gill flukes. I did a 50% change last week and added another filter to the water. Will be doing a 25% change tomorrow. Do any of you have experience with parasites or bacterial infections in fresh water fish? Looking for what else I should do.

thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Melafix and pimafix are two good solutions, try and google exactly what it is and go the pimafix fungal route or the melafix bacterial one. Do NOT overdose or combine the two, I killed a bunch of beautiful cichilds that way :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
686keydragon
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a bad alternator.😉
686keydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
TexasYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can also use a low concentration salt treatment as well. Regular table salt will work. Should not need very much, just enough to raise the salt level enough to kill the bacterial/fungal infection.
TexasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Indy

Water changes won't do anything for an internal disease, kind of like moving to nebraska to cure your herpes.

If you haven't already you need to set up a quarantine tank and only medicate in that, not in your main.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
nwiTJdave

[QUOTE="Indy;14621064"]Water changes won't do anything for an internal disease, kind of like moving to nebraska to cure your herpes./QUOTE]

Ahahahaha

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Water changes won't do anything for an internal disease, kind of like moving to nebraska to cure your herpes.

If you haven't already you need to set up a quarantine tank and only medicate in that, not in your main.
To big to quarantine in the other tank.
Unread 12-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
E1wood5150
2009 JK Wrangler 

Its a bluegill? How big? Caught from the wild?

Quarantine it & treat it as described above.

If it's from the wild, they are pretty easy to catch & replace, so a fillet knife, some House Autry & Crisco would be a perfectly acceptable plan.

(I am just kidding about the fillet knife cure)
MORE TO COME!
E1wood5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Well gotta treat the whole tank now as it seems some of the other ones may be catching it. My snails are going to die more than likely ah well they are cheap to replace. Its about 10 inchs or so so far to large for the small tanks I can get for free. i have been tempted to turn him into a fillet a few times kills all other fish I put in there unless its to big to eat then tends to leave em alone.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.