JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/)
-   -   Got a sick fish (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/got-sick-fish-1450595/)

thantos858 12-15-2012 09:13 PM

Got a sick fish

I have 3 bluegills, 1 pleco and a bunch of snails in a 56 gal tank. My larger bluegill has red ulcers around one gill at first it was just 1 but I noticed another one has formed. I previously thought it was from being aggressive and killing 6 fish we got from the store but im doubting that as it was over 2 weeks ago. It kinda looks like gill flukes. I did a 50% change last week and added another filter to the water. Will be doing a 25% change tomorrow. Do any of you have experience with parasites or bacterial infections in fresh water fish? Looking for what else I should do.

Hussler 12-15-2012 09:17 PM

Melafix and pimafix are two good solutions, try and google exactly what it is and go the pimafix fungal route or the melafix bacterial one. Do NOT overdose or combine the two, I killed a bunch of beautiful cichilds that way :/

686keydragon 12-15-2012 09:18 PM

Sounds like a bad alternator.😉

TexasYJ 12-15-2012 09:27 PM

You can also use a low concentration salt treatment as well. Regular table salt will work. Should not need very much, just enough to raise the salt level enough to kill the bacterial/fungal infection.

Indy 12-16-2012 05:13 PM

Water changes won't do anything for an internal disease, kind of like moving to nebraska to cure your herpes.

If you haven't already you need to set up a quarantine tank and only medicate in that, not in your main.

nwiTJdave 12-16-2012 05:55 PM

[QUOTE="Indy;14621064"]Water changes won't do anything for an internal disease, kind of like moving to nebraska to cure your herpes./QUOTE]

Ahahahaha

thantos858 12-16-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 14621064)
Water changes won't do anything for an internal disease, kind of like moving to nebraska to cure your herpes.

If you haven't already you need to set up a quarantine tank and only medicate in that, not in your main.

To big to quarantine in the other tank.

E1wood5150 12-17-2012 11:15 AM

Its a bluegill? How big? Caught from the wild?

Quarantine it & treat it as described above.

If it's from the wild, they are pretty easy to catch & replace, so a fillet knife, some House Autry & Crisco would be a perfectly acceptable plan.

(I am just kidding about the fillet knife cure)

thantos858 12-17-2012 07:13 PM

Well gotta treat the whole tank now as it seems some of the other ones may be catching it. My snails are going to die more than likely ah well they are cheap to replace. Its about 10 inchs or so so far to large for the small tanks I can get for free. i have been tempted to turn him into a fillet a few times kills all other fish I put in there unless its to big to eat then tends to leave em alone.

The time now is 10:41 AM.