Good rainsuit? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
ozjeep

2011 JK Wrangler 

Good rainsuit?

I'm looking for a rainsuit to take with me on backpacking trips. It's gotta be very light weight and compressable. Just wondering if anyone had any good experiences with a certain brand. I've been looking at frog toggs and may grab a set before I go this weekend.

Taylor

2011 Wrangler JK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Willys2TJ
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozjeep View Post
I'm looking for a rainsuit to take with me on backpacking trips. It's gotta be very light weight and compressable. Just wondering if anyone had any good experiences with a certain brand. I've been looking at frog toggs and may grab a set before I go this weekend.

Taylor

Frogg Toggs work well for me on canoe and fishing trips but they are somewhat fragile compared to some of the models that cost big $. Bottom line is do you want something that will last a few trips for $50 or something that might last many years but costs 3-4 times as much?

Personally, I have both but keep the good set in my golf bag and use the Toggs for backpacking and fishing.

A good rainsuit is worth its weight in gold if you're stuck out in the rain for a couple of days. The Toggs have always kept me dry.

Playing with Jeeps since the 60's.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Wamp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My Toggs work well. I also have much more expensive gore-tex, but I rarely break it out as the frog togs work in most cases.
post #4 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 10:56 AM
War Eagle
BRAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!!!

Another vote for Frogg Toggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
JF without War Eagle? That's like a beach without broken glass littered about. I shudder at the thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thexonexkid View Post
I was under the assumption that you were Keith?
post #5 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 11:02 AM
LandRover

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Another vote for Gore Tex. Spend the money, you won't regret it. Especially backpacking. Lightweight, packable, and breathable is huge. A gore tex jacket and pants and a 'seattle sombrero' gore tex hat by Outdoor Research will keep you completely dry, sweat and condensation free, and much happier if you wind up having to pack in the rain.

RHD '98 XJ
RE 3.5", Bushwaker Flat Flares,
OR-Fab bumpers, PowerTrax locker,
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
post #6 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
ozjeep

2011 JK Wrangler 

Where is a good place to find gore-tex gear?

2011 Wrangler JK
post #7 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 11:34 AM
LandRover

1998 XJ Cherokee 

www.REI.com, www.cabellas.com, www.campmor.com, or my personal choice: www.gorebikewear.com

I use my gore brand gore tex cycling jacket and pants for backpacking, becuase they're incredibly light and packable (made for stuffing in a jersey pocket when you're on the bike. Most big companies (columbia, north face, mountain hardwear, etc) have simple shell type goretex rain gear, but when you buy the Gore brand, you're not paying for a nifty logo, you just get gore tex protection, which is the goal anyway. Some cycling places have great deals on goretex jackets and pants occasionally also (check brands like louis garneau, pearl izumi, bellweather)...all major bike gear companies have the basic gore tex shell jacket and pants also, and they're cut for movement, which is nice. Most bike jackets also have a drop tail, which I find nice when carrying a pack...the back of the jacket never rides up past the waistline, and all the drips from the bottom of the pack still have some jacket to hit before running down to the pants, and it's easy to hike in them because they're not low across your legs in front. Bike spefic pants, obviously, are cut for movement also.

check www.nashbar.com, www.pricepoint.com, and www.performancebike.com for deals on goretex bike gear.

RHD '98 XJ
post #8 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 11:41 AM
DTJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:

Taylor
thats a great brand, especially for the price.

ive got several frog togs suits, and they perform just as well or better than my $200 goretex suits.

they sell the suit, jackeyt and pants, at bass pro shops near me for about $40

I kayak about 500 + miles a year, every weekend year round regardless of weather, and ive used most all of the outdoor gear at one point or another. I HIGHLY recommend Frog togs, even if I had to pay double what they cost id still be a happy camper. great product

FOR SALE
pm me for info
Black 95 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2
OME Springs and Black Diamond shocks, Mickey Thompson MTZ 31x10.50 on Cragar soft 8's
PICS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
ozjeep

2011 JK Wrangler 

I think I'm going to try the frog toggs, I'm reading alot of good things about them and they're in my price range. Maybe when I move back with my parents and have some more cash coming in I might check out some gore tex stuff.

2011 Wrangler JK
post #10 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 11:49 AM
XJ99

2006 XK Commander 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandRover View Post
www.REI.com, www.cabellas.com, www.campmor.com, or my personal choice: www.gorebikewear.com

I use my gore brand gore tex cycling jacket and pants for backpacking, becuase they're incredibly light and packable (made for stuffing in a jersey pocket when you're on the bike. Most big companies (columbia, north face, mountain hardwear, etc) have simple shell type goretex rain gear, but when you buy the Gore brand, you're not paying for a nifty logo, you just get gore tex protection, which is the goal anyway. Some cycling places have great deals on goretex jackets and pants occasionally also (check brands like louis garneau, pearl izumi, bellweather)...all major bike gear companies have the basic gore tex shell jacket and pants also, and they're cut for movement, which is nice. Most bike jackets also have a drop tail, which I find nice when carrying a pack...the back of the jacket never rides up past the waistline, and all the drips from the bottom of the pack still have some jacket to hit before running down to the pants, and it's easy to hike in them because they're not low across your legs in front. Bike spefic pants, obviously, are cut for movement also.

check www.nashbar.com, www.pricepoint.com, and www.performancebike.com for deals on goretex bike gear.

Gore tex is awesome. I used it when I road my street bike year round in Washington State.

When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 11:57 AM
LandRover

1998 XJ Cherokee 

^^the biggest advantage on the bike (and with anything really active like that) is the breathability. I've used other "waterproof/breathable" products, and they really lack at either one of those things or the other. If you're soaked with sweat when you get off the bike anyway, what's the point? Most waterproof stuff just doesn't breathe well. Most stuff that breathes well just isn't waterproof. Gore Tex nails that balance.

RHD '98 XJ
post #12 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 12:03 PM
WhtJeep
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandRover View Post
^^the biggest advantage on the bike (and with anything really active like that) is the breathability. I've used other "waterproof/breathable" products, and they really lack at either one of those things or the other. If you're soaked with sweat when you get off the bike anyway, what's the point? Most waterproof stuff just doesn't breathe well. Most stuff that breathes well just isn't waterproof. Gore Tex nails that balance.
Yep exactly wh i went with gore-tex after awhile. I tried a bunch of the lower price stuff and I felt like I was in a steam suit. I used to do heavy backpacking trips in CO and would die if it rained. Finally at summer camp one year i borrowed my friends gore-tex jacket and i was sold.

2008 WK Khaki Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain
1995 XJ Lifted and driven straight into the ground - RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresso
Quick dana 35 test: kick one of the rear tires. If the axle breaks, it's a 35
XboxGT - The Mad Med1c
post #13 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 12:17 PM
GasAxe

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
I'm looking for a rainsuit to take with me on backpacking trips. It's gotta be very light weight and compressable.
Make your own.
5155xdhpdql._aa280_pibundle-6-topright-0-0_aa280_sh20_.jpg

Marching or fighting, it all pays the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep-jeep-01
And by the look of his avatar and name... not a hippie.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-31-2008, 03:25 PM
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99 View Post
Gore tex is awesome. I used it when I road my street bike year round in Washington State.
Agreed, I use my Gore tex when I ride, and I also have a set of Frogg Toggs for golfing and fishing.

Ken

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.