Gluten-Free Diet - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Gluten-Free Diet

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #31
Jones
Consider the following...

I had more testing done today with a CAT scan and I either have pneumonia or valley fever. My doctor thought it was just anxiety or depression at first then moved on to acid reflux and the gluten-free diet and said she wanted a CAT scan done to rule out a pulmonary embolism but my insurance sucks so I was gonna have to pay a bunch of money for that. I woke up feeling worse today so I decided to have it done, the pulmonary embolism came back negative but they found a spot on my lung that they think is either pneumonia or valley fever. I'm still having the burping and air in my stomach so I'll still be on the gluten-free diet for 3 weeks.

Unread 06-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #32
2010Rubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

Low carb diets work well? Hardly so for most people. In the end it all comes down to Calories In vs. Calories Out.

I eat whatever I want. I just don't eat like a pig, so my 6-foot frame remains around 160 lbs. with minor changes over the course of a year. If you are eating massive amount of starches or a large amount of any food, then you are eating too much. But try telling that to the person who simply must have his or her daily Big Gulp soda, fast food lunch, and supersized dinner.

Anyway, the anti-carb fad is dead. It was replaced long ago by the anti-gluten fad. Why haven't you observed the packaging of numerous products lately? Breads, cereals, pancakes, and hundreds of other products are screaming with red labels that they are GLUTEN FREE!

The manufacturers want the fad follower's money and they are going to get it.

2010Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #33
b3nj4m1n
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010Rubicon View Post
Low carb diets work well? Hardly so for most people.
link?

quitting carbs most certainly will cause a person to lose weight. carbs are digested and turned into sugar very quickly leading to a spike in blood sugar which causes your body to release insulin which does what? triggers your fat cells to absorb the excess sugar and you gain weight. eating fat doesn't make you fat, eating carbs makes you fat, that's the way the body works..

read this article;

http://lewrockwell.com/mercola/mercola177.html

or at least this:

and it's not just the fat that's the problem, wheat and grains are loaded with anti nutrients that our bodies have not adjusted too

Quote:
Living things generally do not want to be consumed by other living things. Being digested, for the most part, tends to interrupt survival, procreation, propagation of the species – you know, standard stuff that fauna and flora consider pretty important. To avoid said consumption, living things employ various self defense mechanisms. Rabbits, for example, with their massive ears, considerable fast-twitch muscle fibers, and nasty claws, can usually hear a predator coming, outrun (out-hop?) nearly anything, and (in a pinch) slash a tender belly to shreds. Blue whales are too big to fit into your mouth, while porcupines are walking reverse pincushions. Point is, animals have active defense mechanisms. They run, fight, jump, climb, fly, sting, bite, and even appeal to our emotions (if you’ve ever seen a puppy beg for a treat with sad eyes, you know that isn’t just accidental cuteness) in order to survive. All the while, predators are constantly evolving and generating adaptations.

Plants, though, are passive organisms without the ability to move, think, and react (for the most part). They must employ different tactics to ensure propagation, and they generally have to rely on outside forces to spread their seed. And so various methods are “devised” to dissuade consumption long enough for the seed to get to where it’s going. Nuts have those tough shells, and grains have the toxic anti-nutrients, lectins, gluten, and phytates. (Of course there are some obvious exceptions. Fruits are tasty, nutritious, and delicious so that animals will eat them whole and poop out the seeds, preferably into some fertile soil. The seed stays intact throughout the digestive process; it is indigestible by design. No seed “wants” to be digested, because this would defeat the purpose. They “want” to be swallowed, or borne by the wind, or carried by a bee to the next flower, but they do not want to be digested.)

Some animals are clearly adapted to grain consumption. Birds, rodents, and some insects can deal with the anti-nutrients. Humans, however, cannot. Perhaps if grains represented a significant portion of our ancestral dietary history, things might be a bit different. Some of us can digest dairy, and we’ve got the amylase enzyme present in our saliva to break down starches if need be, but we simply do not have the wiring necessary to mitigate the harmful effects of lectins, gluten, and phytate.

Lectins are bad. They bind to insulin receptors, attack the stomach lining of insects, bind to human intestinal lining, and they seemingly cause leptin resistance. And leptin resistance predicts a “worsening of the features of the metabolic syndrome independently of obesity”. Fun stuff, huh?

Gluten might be even worse. Gluten, found in wheat, rye, and barley, is a composite of the proteins gliadin and glutenin. Around 1% of the population are celiacs, people who are completely and utterly intolerant of any gluten. In celiacs, any gluten in the diet can be disastrous. We’re talking compromised calcium and vitamin D3 levels, hyperparathyroidism, bone defects. Really terrible stuff. And it gets worse: just because you’re not celiac doesn’t mean you aren’t susceptible to the ravages of gluten. As Stephan highlights, one study showed that 29% of asymptomatic (read: not celiac) people nonetheless tested positive for anti-gliadin IgA in their stool. Anti-gliadin IgA is an antibody produced by the gut, and it remains there until it’s dispatched to ward off gliadin – a primary component of gluten. Basically, the only reason anti-gliadin IgA ends up in your stool is because your body sensed an impending threat – gluten. If gluten poses no threat, the anti-gliadin IgA stays in your gut. And to think, most Americans eat this stuff on a daily basis.

Phytates are a problem, too, because they make minerals bio-unavailable (so much for all those healthy vitamins and minerals we need from whole grains!), thus rendering null and void the last, remaining argument for cereal grain consumption.

What, then, is the point to all this grain madness? Is there a good reason for anyone (with access to meat, fruit, and vegetables, that is) to rely on cereal grains for a significant portion of their caloric intake?

The answer is unequivocally, undeniably no. We do not need grains to survive, let alone thrive. In fact, they are naturally selected to ward off pests, whether they be insects or hominids. I suggest we take the hint and stop eating them.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-g...#axzz1yPBfFaVp
"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." -Mark Twain
b3nj4m1n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #34
2010Rubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

There are far too many items in that graphic and quote to address without writing pages of comments and boring those following the thread, not to mention spending an hour or more writing such a detailed post. That being said, I will focus on just one subtopic: Soda.

Soda is bad for one's health no matter how many carbs it contains. The high fructose sugar contains a large amount of calories. My father drank at least a couple bottles or cans a day, sometimes several per day. Soft drinks gave him heart problems and destroyed his kidneys.

Over the past 10 years stores and restaurants have made soda so affordable that a 6-pack now costs less than bottled water. Moreover, what used to be considered a large soft drink is now routinely a small size, and restaurants offer endless refills at no extra charge. This is NOT a carb problem. It is a excess consumption problem.
Unread 06-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #35
Scout734
...is this real life?

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Low carb diets work well? Hardly so for most people. In the end it all comes down to Calories In vs. Calories Out.

I eat whatever I want. I just don't eat like a pig, so my 6-foot frame remains around 160 lbs. with minor changes over the course of a year. If you are eating massive amount of starches or a large amount of any food, then you are eating too much. But try telling that to the person who simply must have his or her daily Big Gulp soda, fast food lunch, and supersized dinner.

Anyway, the anti-carb fad is dead. It was replaced long ago by the anti-gluten fad. Why haven't you observed the packaging of numerous products lately? Breads, cereals, pancakes, and hundreds of other products are screaming with red labels that they are GLUTEN FREE!

The manufacturers want the fad follower's money and they are going to get it.

you really have no idea what you're talking about...

it's not a fad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4pMoh1wBKk&NR=1

Yellow Jeep Club member #734
Scout734 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #36
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There are far too many items in that graphic and quote to address without writing pages of comments and boring those following the thread, not to mention spending an hour or more writing such a detailed post. That being said, I will focus on just one subtopic: Soda.

Soda is bad for one's health no matter how many carbs it contains. The high fructose sugar contains a large amount of calories. My father drank at least a couple bottles or cans a day, sometimes several per day. Soft drinks gave him heart problems and destroyed his kidneys.

Over the past 10 years stores and restaurants have made soda so affordable that a 6-pack now costs less than bottled water. Moreover, what used to be considered a large soft drink is now routinely a small size, and restaurants offer endless refills at no extra charge. This is NOT a carb problem. It is a excess consumption problem.

I agree with your post to an extent, but I can tell you that about 20 years ago, I worked for a marketing company that represented a large big name brand Cola bottler. (the biggest name you can think of in cola)

Without naming names or locations, other than to say Iceland, I can tell you that the water that they used during the day to bottle Cola, was the same water that they used at night to bottle plain water.

There was nothing done to it, it was already pure.

When they added all of the ingredients to make Cola, it sold for less per bottle than doing nothing to it.

So, in a way, the seemingly low cost of Cola has more to do with the huge market and demand for perceived "pure spring" water than it does vice versa.

In other words the value of water and the amount people are willing to pay for it has gone up faster than that of cola.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #37
2010Rubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

Market demand and economy of scale influences the prices. The water may be nothing special, but waters have different flavors. Something I have noticed about bottled water is that higher priced water tends to taste better than cheap water. The exception is Evian, which commands a high price but does not taste as good as other premium brands. It fell out of favor with consumers. Aquafina is the market leader in taste. It costs significantly more than others. Recently I bought a six pack of Ozarka sparkling water to see how it compares with Perrier. The Ozarka tasted somewhat flat compared to Perrier. Ozarka sparkling water costs only $2.50 and Perrier costs $5.00 or more.

Getting back to the subject of gluten, in the early 1990s there was a media trend against white bread, white flour, and white rice. I liked wheat products a lot, so I experimented with an all-wheat diet. I ate many wheat products -- wheat bread, wheat dinner rolls, wheat spaghetti, wheat germ, even wheat crust pizza.

Like many other things in life I discovered that overindulgence leads to problems. A couple months into the experiment I developed arthritic pain. Through self diagnosis I determined the cause was excess consumption of wheat products. I immediately switched to a balanced consumption of regular spaghetti, white flour crust pizza, and some wheat products. The symptoms disappeared very shortly afterward. Back then no one understood the difference between whole wheat and refined wheat. For that matter, the overwhelming majority of consumers do not understand it now. They just think that anything wheat based is all the same.
Unread 06-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #38
Scout734
...is this real life?

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Market demand and economy of scale influences the prices. The water may be nothing special, but waters have different flavors. Something I have noticed about bottled water is that higher priced water tends to taste better than cheap water. The exception is Evian, which commands a high price but does not taste as good as other premium brands. It fell out of favor with consumers. Aquafina is the market leader in taste. It costs significantly more than others. Recently I bought a six pack of Ozarka sparkling water to see how it compares with Perrier. The Ozarka tasted somewhat flat compared to Perrier. Ozarka sparkling water costs only $2.50 and Perrier costs $5.00 or more.

Getting back to the subject of gluten, in the early 1990s there was a media trend against white bread, white flour, and white rice. I liked wheat products a lot, so I experimented with an all-wheat diet. I ate many wheat products -- wheat bread, wheat dinner rolls, wheat spaghetti, wheat germ, even wheat crust pizza.

Like many other things in life I discovered that overindulgence leads to problems. A couple months into the experiment I developed arthritic pain. Through self diagnosis I determined the cause was excess consumption of wheat products. I immediately switched to a balanced consumption of regular spaghetti, white flour crust pizza, and some wheat products. The symptoms disappeared very shortly afterward. Back then no one understood the difference between whole wheat and refined wheat. For that matter, the overwhelming majority of consumers do not understand it now. They just think that anything wheat based is all the same.
Wheat is wheat and no matter what form it is in it contains gluten and makes me sick because I am gluten intolerant. I do not have celiacs but my body doesn't tolerate gluten. I have had blood tests that prove it.

... white wheat products are simply made with overly processed and bleached wheat flour. The "all-wheat" products you are referring to are actually whole wheat where they do not bleach the flour or remove any portion of the grain during the processing of it... both forms are still all wheat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4pMoh1wBKk&NR=1

Yellow Jeep Club member #734
Scout734 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #39
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I can tell you from experience that if you find you need to go gluten free forever because of celiac disease or gluten intolerance/sensitivity start keeping an eye on your blood sugar.

Just a couple of years after discovering I had a problem with gluten I found I had diabetes. I think this is a 2 part problem.

Many of the wheat substitutes break down fast into sugar in the system.

Then if you have had your gut damaged from gluten you have not been absorbing things you eat properly. This includes sugar so you may have been taking in a lot of sugar without it effecting you very much. But once you stop taking in gluten your gut begins to heal and absorbing things in the food you eat again. Now your body tries to deal with a the new uptake of sugar and things get out of whack.

Going GF is a real pain at first as you try to sort through everything. I use to not worry too much about food labels now we have had to learn to read everyone even stuff we found to be safe could be changed without any other notice than the change on the label.

Stupid things like potato chips and shredded cheese that are gluten free naturally may have a wheat product added for one reason or another. In the case of some shredded cheeses it is a fine powder used to keep the cheese from sticking together.

Once you get on top of it you will find it is not as bad as you thought. Try shopping at a few different stores. Our local Wal-mart has even added a small GF section. You can also find GF stuff in heath food stores. Earth Fair has a good selection of GF foods and whole foods to my understanding has a lot of stuff including a GF bakery.

Just to add one of my favorite finds. http://www.quinoa.net/145/163.html

This is some very good gluten free pasta much better in my opinion than rice pasta. It looks and taste almost the same as regular pasta.

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #40
A_Ninja_Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquier92 View Post
Why just a month?? Its not one of those allergies that is just temporary as far as i know
Its an evil Trick the doc is playing. He told him he is only trying it for a month but the truth is he already knows a month from now he is going to tell him that he needs to stay on the diet.
A_Ninja_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #41
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

1. "taste" is subjective and individual. If what you suggest is true, you should be able to take a blind taste test and accurately determine the price point. Not possible.

2. What controls were used in your personal wheat study? Did you eat exactly the same things every day, during two separate but equal time periods, the only change being the wheat consumption? Isn't it possible you had a bout of something unrelated to wheat that coincidentally went away at the same time you stopped eating wheat? If you had a headache on a day you consumed ice cream, and then didn't have it the next day, you wouldn't think the ice cream caused it. You'd have to have it happen many more times in order to draw a correlation.

I am just curious about your definitive posts, which seem to have a lot of unclosed loopholes.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I just think you make a few pretty big leaps.
Unread 06-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #42
b3nj4m1n
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This is NOT a carb problem. It is a excess consumption problem.
no its carbs. notice the study half way down, people that ate less calories than they used (starving themselves) did lose weight, however you will lose muscle mass by starving yourself, not just fat.

now look at people that cut the carbs, they ate as much as they wanted and still lost TWICE as much weight

it's the carbs, like i said sugar causes you to release insulin which triggers you fat cells to absorb glucose, that's the way your body works
"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." -Mark Twain
b3nj4m1n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #43
2010Rubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3nj4m1n View Post
no its carbs. notice the study half way down, people that ate less calories than they used (starving themselves) did lose weight, however you will lose muscle mass by starving yourself, not just fat.

now look at people that cut the carbs, they ate as much as they wanted and still lost TWICE as much weight

it's the carbs, like i said sugar causes you to release insulin which triggers you fat cells to absorb glucose, that's the way your body works
Yes, is is indeed a consumption problem. Years ago sodas were more expensive than they are now. The cost declined and consumption increased greatly. Apparently you are too young to remember the days when there were no free refills at stores and restaurants. Moreover, there were no super large cups! Had the excess consumption issue not been raised by the media, fast food restaurants and convenience stores would be giving away gallon-sized servings.
Unread 06-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #44
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, is is indeed a consumption problem. Years ago sodas were more expensive than they are now. The cost declined and consumption increased greatly. Apparently you are too young to remember the days when there were no free refills at stores and restaurants. Moreover, there were no super large cups! Had the excess consumption issue not been raised by the media, fast food restaurants and convenience stores would be giving away gallon-sized servings.
I think you should read a few hundred issues of Beverage Digest.

Some of the things you post about the industry in reality are just not so cut and dry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.