Giuliani drops out... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Giuliani drops out...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
GasAxe
1983 CJ5 

Giuliani drops out...

and endorses McCain.
Quote:
MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani ended his GOP presidential race and endorsed rival Sen. John McCain of Arizona on Wednesday.

And sources say California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger might endorse McCain on Thursday.

"This is a man who is prepared to be president," Giuliani said of his "old friend."

Giuliani said McCain gives the Republican Party the best chance to hold onto the presidency.

"I am very proud to endorse my friend and fellow Republican -- a hero -- John McCain," Giuliani said at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley California, two hours before the Republican presidential candidates were to face each other in their final debate before the Super Tuesday contests next week.

Meanwhile, two Republican sources told CNN that California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is in discussions about endorsing McCain.

One of the sources said, "you can safely describe the conversations as progressing and productive." The second source described the endorsement as "more than expected" and said the conversations were aimed at arranging a Thursday announcement.

Giuliani described McCain as "the other best candidate."

"I made it clear before I had to make this decision [to drop out] that had I not run, I'd be supporting John McCain," Giuliani told reporters on a flight to Burbank, California, for the debate.

The debate is being sponsored by CNN, the Los Angeles Times and Politico, and begins at 8 p.m. ET.

Giuliani, who had staked his presidential campaign on a Florida win, had a disappointing third-place finish in the state's Republican primary Tuesday night.

He largely skipped the early voting states to put all his energy into Florida.

"Obviously, the strategy didn't work," he said. "We're going to go back and try to find out why. I don't have the answers ... Having said that, it was the only strategy available to us -- could we have done it in a better way? I don't think we know the answer to that right now."

His endorsement of McCain, who won in Florida, gives the Arizona senator added momentum heading into Super Tuesday, when more than 20 states hold contests.

McCain's Florida win essentially turns the GOP presidential race into a two-man contest between him and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

McCain finished 5 percentage points ahead of Romney, 36-31. Giuliani placed a distant third with 15 percent of the vote, followed closely by former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who held 14 percent.

The win gives McCain all 57 Florida delegates at stake.

The victory also is significant because it proves McCain can win a contest solely involving Republicans. Florida is a closed primary, so no crossover voting among Republicans and Democrats is allowed.

McCain's primary wins in New Hampshire and South Carolina were due in part to the backing of independents who cast ballots in the GOP contests. Read how CNN's analysts view Tuesday's results »

However, McCain still finished second to Romney and Huckabee with conservatives and evangelicals, two key wings of the Republican Party.
Rudy wasn't the best Republican, but I thought he would of been the best leader for our country.

Now we're down to Slick Mitt and Open borders McCain.

And by the look of his avatar and name... not a hippie.
GasAxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
FreemasonJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

We are doomed. There are no conservatives left... not that there were very many to begin with. NEWT, WE NEED YOU!!!!
FreemasonJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wait what happened to Huckabee?
Unread 01-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheMudder
Wait what happened to Huckabee?
He's still in and will probably pick up a few smaller conservative states on super Tuesday but not enough to get the nomination. McCain hinted around about Huckabee as VP.
The Mean Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
FreemasonJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Huckabee is alright but he's no conservative. No matter how many times these guys mention Ronald Reagan, they will never be conservative, much less like Ronald Reagan.
Unread 01-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #6
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasAxe
and endorses McCain.
Sweet! I hope he gets their endorsement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasAxe
Now we're down to Slick Mitt and Open borders McCain.
Although I don't agree with his border policies, I think McCain will definitely bring some good things to this country. Mainly about ending the damn war. I as an enlisted person of the United States Navy am not allowed to bad mouth our President's decisions. But, Mr McCain and I seem to be thinking alike.

I hope he and Huckabee make it.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
GasAxe
1983 CJ5 

Yeah, McCain is good on fighting the war on terror overseas, but (and this is my biggest complaint on Bush) how can he really be serious about protecting the US when he wants the borders wide open? That and how he has been against tax cuts really make him a poor canidate to me.

Oh and John Edwards dropped out too. Anyone care?
Unread 01-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like it'll be Obama vs Clintons and McCain vs Romney. My bet is that Paul will run as an Independent. Take your pick
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #9
speighd
1985 CJ7 

I'll vote Ron Paul!
91 YJ Red Jeep Club Member #305
94 XJ
85 CJ-7

"Those that would give up their liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security"
-Benjamin Franklin
speighd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:30 PM   #10
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wow it wasn't long ago that it looked like Huckabee was a shoein and McCain was written off.
Unread 01-31-2008, 01:21 AM   #11
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

The most conservative candidate was Duncan Hunter who never had a chance. The second most was Fred Thompson, who could have had Duncan Hunter as a running mate since they were very like minded. Neither one of them are in the race anymore. So we are down to McCain, Romney, and to a lesser extent Huckabee. Here's one analysis. You've got McCain who is militarily conservative, but is a big government, high tax, open border, compromise everything kind of guy. You've got Romney who is fiscally conservative and sort of wishy washy on social issues, seems to be a leader, but lacks any association with the military in a time when the country is in the toughest conflict it has ever faced. Huckabee is a social conservative, has in interesting tax idea that will get nowhere, is wrong headed about the war and outlook on national defense and dodges any questions not related to social issues by going off on a tangent about religion. Each of these guys have merit and each of them have downsides. The merits of each do not intersect. I am put off by Huckabee's actions and outrageous statements on the campaign trail which makes me tend to believe he is sleezey. Now some of you may say all politicians are sleazey, but whatever. To me it's really between McCain and Romney. McCain is uninspiring and in his speeches he just constantly whines. The country needs someone that can rally the troops, make people excited, and trust in a cause. McCain can't do it. Looking at the things I dislike about McCain and the things I dislike about Romney, the negative list is longer with McCain. So I'll go with Romney. I think he can overcome any national security or military short comings with a good running mate. Condeleeza Rice is worthy of consideration, as are others. Perhaps Colin Powell would like to re-enter the arena. Rudy would be worth considering for either Homeland Security or Attorney General. Yes, he has a law degree and used to practice law. Newt Gingrich is someone that could be useful in taking on a roll in the administration that Karl Rove did in Bush's. He could also make a decent running mate. Lieberman is backing McCain. If McCain gets the nomination, look for him to choose either Liberman or Rudy as a running mate. I paid so much taxes last year that the lady that does my taxes told me to buy a new vehicle to help me next year. Two days later, I ordered a JK I ultimately canceled the order after waiting a long time with no end in sight and found a JK I liked at another dealer. McCain opposed the Bush tax cuts that helped get us out of the recession that began as he was taking office. He also has opposed renewing them and still does. If the tax cuts lapse, it's effectively a tax increase, which is a bad thing to have when the economy is slowing down some. So there you go, another reason for me to vote for Romney. I'm not really satisfied with him, but a decision has to be made as to which one I dislike least.
Unread 01-31-2008, 03:59 AM   #12
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Very interesting points-thanks.

I agree-ultimately when I've voted in the past, it was for the person I disliked least also. It's too sad, but it's the world of politics.

As long as Hillary doesn't make it, I'll be happy with almost anyone else that won't sell our country down the river. I'm sick of the Clinton's and I don't want them back in the office. Being a woman myself, it's not because I'm anti-woman. I want to see the right person in the office, and frankly, I feel that she'd do anything unscrupulous to get what she wants. She's married to one of the biggest sleezbags the office has ever seen, but there she is, "stand by your man". She might have had a chance with me if she dumped him and made a run solo.
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2008, 06:26 AM   #13
FreemasonJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The Ron Paul kooks still have a chance with me. If McCain gets the nomination, I will vote for Paul if he switches to independent or I just won't vote at all except local issues.
Unread 01-31-2008, 06:39 AM   #14
BLS33
Chief of the brain police

1985 CJ7 

I don't think Paul is going to run as an independent, he knows it is a fruitless labor.

I have to say I am pretty disappointed that is looks like McCain has the most steam as of right now. I just don't think economically he is the guy. We have money issues to the extreme, our healthcare system is atrocious and we are over taxed and broke. He seems out of touch with fiscal issues, and immigration issues.

Did any of you guys watch the debate last night? It was kind of amusing watching the dynamic between Ron Paul and Mike Huckabee because they weren't getting questions or even being looked at.
BLS33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2008, 09:21 AM   #15
GasAxe
1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot
The most conservative candidate was Duncan Hunter who never had a chance. The second most was Fred Thompson, who could have had Duncan Hunter as a running mate since they were very like minded. Neither one of them are in the race anymore. So we are down to McCain, Romney, and to a lesser extent Huckabee. Here's one analysis. You've got McCain who is militarily conservative, but is a big government, high tax, open border, compromise everything kind of guy. You've got Romney who is fiscally conservative and sort of wishy washy on social issues, seems to be a leader, but lacks any association with the military in a time when the country is in the toughest conflict it has ever faced. Huckabee is a social conservative, has in interesting tax idea that will get nowhere, is wrong headed about the war and outlook on national defense and dodges any questions not related to social issues by going off on a tangent about religion. Each of these guys have merit and each of them have downsides. The merits of each do not intersect. I am put off by Huckabee's actions and outrageous statements on the campaign trail which makes me tend to believe he is sleezey. Now some of you may say all politicians are sleazey, but whatever. To me it's really between McCain and Romney. McCain is uninspiring and in his speeches he just constantly whines. The country needs someone that can rally the troops, make people excited, and trust in a cause. McCain can't do it. Looking at the things I dislike about McCain and the things I dislike about Romney, the negative list is longer with McCain. So I'll go with Romney. I think he can overcome any national security or military short comings with a good running mate. Condeleeza Rice is worthy of consideration, as are others. Perhaps Colin Powell would like to re-enter the arena. Rudy would be worth considering for either Homeland Security or Attorney General. Yes, he has a law degree and used to practice law. Newt Gingrich is someone that could be useful in taking on a roll in the administration that Karl Rove did in Bush's. He could also make a decent running mate. Lieberman is backing McCain. If McCain gets the nomination, look for him to choose either Liberman or Rudy as a running mate. I paid so much taxes last year that the lady that does my taxes told me to buy a new vehicle to help me next year. Two days later, I ordered a JK I ultimately canceled the order after waiting a long time with no end in sight and found a JK I liked at another dealer. McCain opposed the Bush tax cuts that helped get us out of the recession that began as he was taking office. He also has opposed renewing them and still does. If the tax cuts lapse, it's effectively a tax increase, which is a bad thing to have when the economy is slowing down some. So there you go, another reason for me to vote for Romney. I'm not really satisfied with him, but a decision has to be made as to which one I dislike least.
That sums it up perfectly. Nice job prot

McCain/Lieberman - Talk about no party affiliation. There's your third party canidates, the Democans (or Repulicrats).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.