Getting a puppy on Friday (Great Dane) w/ pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Getting a puppy on Friday (Great Dane) w/ pics

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 02-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
chance_p
2008 WK 

Getting a puppy on Friday (Great Dane) w/ pics

This Friday I am picking up my Great Dane puppy! I've never owned a Great Dane before but have a few friends whose parents owned them when I was growing up. I've always wanted one, and I felt like the timing was right, so I put a deposit on one last Friday with a breeder about an hour from my house. He will be 9 weeks old the day I get him. Here are a few picture of him at 6.5 weeks...

So where are the other Dane/Jeep owners at? Feel free to give me any advice you've got. I've done plenty of reading about the breed over the last few months but you can never know enough.

Unread 02-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
krusemissile

I don't own a great dane, but that puppy is really cute. Hope you have tons of fun with your new buddy
krusemissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
Cassafrass
2000 WJ 

Beautiful pup!
Cassafrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
1997_Sport

My sister and her finance have one. You will be able to watch it grow literally. Fun dogs, very people friendly. Her's love couches, and chewing and everything. Make sure in a few months your counters are clear of all things, since they can just walk up to the counter.

Defiantly a huge, but very awesome dog to have!!

No jeep but I do have a 04.5 Cummins with a 4in exhaust, edge j/a, and I guess thats it....for now
1997_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
Geo55

My cousin has had great danes all her life and i've had to take care of them for a good amount a time.
1.They love to chew on things so be a ware of your things
2. They slobber a lot it seems like a freaking river is coming out of their mouth so be cautious of your clothes
3. When they are young they are very hyper so they need a lot of exercise or else they will destroy everything
4. My cousins dogs suffered from arthritis when they were older and i believe one of them passed away from bloat which i believe is common in big breed dogs so be careful of that
5.They are really good with kids and animal i've been around great danes my whole life and they never snapped at me or bitten me
Other than that have fun with your dog one other thing if your dog lives outside please be careful if your fence has spikes on top my cousins dog tried to jump over the fence once it he got impaled luckily she survived
Geo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Chiles
1999 TJ Wrangler 

dawwwwwwwwww
Chiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
Beefstew
Jub Jub

2006 TJ Wrangler 

i used to date a broad who had one... it was an awesome dog! clumsy and scared of nearly everything! very cute.... Big dogs rule!

shoulda gone with a st bernard though....

Beefstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
chance_p
2008 WK 

Thanks for all the replies people. I'm pretty excited for Friday. I'm suprised no one with a Dane has stepped in here yet.

Here are a couple pictures of the kennel I built for him to go in while I'm in class or working...

I've got a top built for it, but I'm not going to put that on until the potty training stage is over. I don't feel like crawling around in there to clean up his accidents. haha. The dimensions are 4ft tall, 4ft wide, and 6ft long, bigger than any indoor kennel I could buy for him. I've got a 4ftx4ft rubber mat laying in there and the other 2ftx4ft section will have some sort of bed for him to lay on (still need to figure that out).
Unread 02-14-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
gixxerphil
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would get him some kind of elevated food bowls. B/c like the poster above said(bloat) or GDV can be common in large chested dogs. the elevated food bowls will help cut down on the gas in his chest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
can you get a good pic of your muff set up ?
gixxerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
chance_p
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerphil_ View Post
I would get him some kind of elevated food bowls. B/c like the poster above said(bloat) or GDV can be common in large chested dogs. the elevated food bowls will help cut down on the gas in his chest.
Good call. I bought some stainless bowls for him and I plan on building a nice stand made out of wood for them when he gets a little older and actually needs it. Something similar to this...

Unread 02-14-2011, 06:03 AM   #11
Kerovick

I would section that kennel down to a smaller size untill the pup gets bigger. If it has to much room it'll make a potty area and a sleep/living area and make potty training hard.

GL with your new buddy
Kerovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 06:26 AM   #12
alecmcmahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerovick View Post
I would section that kennel down to a smaller size untill the pup gets bigger. If it has to much room it'll make a potty area and a sleep/living area and make potty training hard.

GL with your new buddy
X2

If you plan on kennel training it has to be small enough for him so that he doesn't dump in one corner without a care.
Unread 02-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You're a brave soul, I'd never want to own a horse that lives in the house.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #14
97Formulaws-6
2004 WJ 

Like has been said... I'd make an adjustable wall for that area, you want it not much bigger than the pup during the training phase, otherwise they will make a sleep/**** corner and keep them separate.

I've had both my dogs since they were 8wks/6wks, and the first couple weeks are HELL!. They're cute, but don't expect much sleep as you'll be up every few hours to take them out until their bowel/bladder control develops. Every 2-3 hours a trip outside, and a treat immediately after they get done going; not once they're back inside, within 3 seconds of them being done squatting or peeing.
97Formulaws-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 07:05 AM   #15
Beefstew
Jub Jub

2006 TJ Wrangler 

idk, in my semi professional opinion, I disagree. numerous people always tell me the crate should be smaller or the kennel should be smaller, simply because they read it in the latest "how to train a dog" book...

its gonna come with age and yes, discipline.... but im curious as to how much influence a smaller kennel really has on potty training a pup. As far as I am concerned, ya got a big dog on your hands, dont suffocate it in a tiny box.

but what do i know....
Beefstew is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.