Gas Gouging - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Gas Gouging

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-28-2010, 10:45 PM   #16
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
Surprised no one mentioned this...get yourself a gas can (any size will do, make sure the size is labeled on it) and fill it up to the fill line. If the pump shows more gallons than the can, then you have a case.
That's not going to stand up anywhere. Weights and Measures used very expensive and specially calibrated items to make sure 1 gallon pumped is really 1 gallon received. If they get enough complaints, they will do a field audit.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #17
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJ View Post
Who you gonna call?

the arco across the street from my house is 10 cents cheaper than the chevron around the corner. EVERYTIME i would fill up there from an empty tank it would take at least 22.5 gallons, usually over 23. So I think to myself,"I thought I had a 20 gallon tank?" After that, I filled up at chevron a few times. The main reason I was running my tank to empty and completely filling was to see if there was any difference in mpgs.

Well, in learning that chevron in fact gives me about 25-45 more miles per tank, I also took note of how chevron pumps charged me for a maximum of 19.7, most of the time below 19.5 gallons. Both the gas station pumps have current stickers from the department of weights and measures

Solution = Go to a different gas station
I am calling the Exxon district manager on it. Call the corporate headquarters and they will get you in touch with the district manager. I did the same thing at the Kangaroo station. I went there and the nozzle sensor that detects when a tank is full failed while I was filling up one of my motorcycles and gasoline went all over the engine. Of course it was scary, gasoline all over a hot engine, but luckily, nothing ignited. The clerk inside didn't think that was a big deal, which really infuriated me. The district manager though did and ended up going there in person to make sure it was fixed and he gave me a $25 voucher, along with calling me three times afterwards to make sure I was still satisfied with their service. I have also done the same thing with Taco Bell when service has been horrendous, waiting as long as 30 minutes. You are never going to get something fixed if you don't speak up.
mickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #18
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLJ View Post
You do know that the TJ gauge is off alot. When my needle is all the way on E I still have 5 gallons left.
I realize that and I am positive that I have the 15 gallon tank. I just made it to a gas station a few weeks ago as it was starting to sputter and it took 14.6 gallons. So with a 15 gallon tank, it should not have taken > 15 gallons to fill it up.
mickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #19
helicase50
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJ View Post
Who you gonna call?
Ghost Busters!!!!!! sorry I had to.

[COLOR="Purple"]Yes, I'm a girl, I drive a TJ and like to get it dirty. Yes, I like boys. Get over it. [/COLOR]
[COLOR="Purple"]Live Fun, Ride Fast, Die Pretty ~ Chic Riders M[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=vindicated;11072220]
Did I ever mention I loved you? :kiss:
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Sarahdactyl;11072442]Hey! That's my woman you're hitting on there! <:mad:>
[/QUOTE]
Be Jealous
helicase50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #20
buickgnx88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kyle_ View Post
That's not going to stand up anywhere. Weights and Measures used very expensive and specially calibrated items to make sure 1 gallon pumped is really 1 gallon received. If they get enough complaints, they will do a field audit.
I'm not saying officially, I was just giving him an idea to see whether his 15.5 gallons pumped vs. "15 gallon tank" conundrum had any truth. If the gas can fills up correctly, then he has a larger tank then he thought. However, if it doesn't fill correctly, then he has reasonable proof to go make a complaint.
buickgnx88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #21
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
What kinda idiot would design something like that. :headscratch:
Not an idiot, he was a genius. Use the same parts, but charge extra to get a bigger tank. That is it gave us YJ drivers one more free mod.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #22
bigred33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Your tj doesn't have a 15 gallon tank I'd bet and more than likely the 19, but if your absolutely positive then

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...wrangler-6.htm

Fuel gauge: The gas-gauge needle may not point to full, may show 1/8 to 1/4 full when the tank is empty. (1997)

so your 1/4 tank is probably vapors if you are convinced of the 15+neck capacity.
bigred33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #23
06slvrrubi
Lovin' Life

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I really hate to add any useless info to this thread. But my 06 never takes more than ~15 gallons to fill it. Even if I drive until the light is on for a few miles.

My 05 was exactly the same, even with the window sticker on the 05 showing (IIRC) a 20 gallon tank.

I've always just assumed the gauges were off that much on both?
06slvrrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #24
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Ringwood, you haven't done yours yet?

Max
Not yet. Maybe when it gets a little warmer out. I don't mean to sound like a little girl, but working in my cold, ice covered driveway sucks. I can work in the cold, but when I can't feel my fingers it's hard for me to do any kind of fine work and I would rather not have done it at all than do it improperly.

Thanks for asking though
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #25
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm sure the bureau of weights and measures uses random gas tanks to calibrate the pumps all the time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjeep View Post
4.2 has 0.2 more!
sitdwnandhngon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #26
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwood View Post
Not yet. Maybe when it gets a little warmer out. I don't mean to sound like a little girl, but working in my cold, ice covered driveway sucks. I can work in the cold, but when I can't feel my fingers it's hard for me to do any kind of fine work and I would rather not have done it at all than do it improperly.

Thanks for asking though
Good thinking, mine was a sahara, so it came with the 20 gallon tank, but I had to drop it twice in one week (replace fuel pump, and fix gas gauge), and it isn't a quick job, and it can be a little tough when there's 10 gallons of gas in the tank.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #27
Indy

Ug, I had a dodge that ate fuel pumps. It always knew when I had a full tank.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #28
Rob99
You come back...one year!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmeister View Post
I am calling the Exxon district manager on it. Call the corporate headquarters and they will get you in touch with the district manager. I did the same thing at the Kangaroo station. I went there and the nozzle sensor that detects when a tank is full failed while I was filling up one of my motorcycles and gasoline went all over the engine. Of course it was scary, gasoline all over a hot engine, but luckily, nothing ignited. The clerk inside didn't think that was a big deal, which really infuriated me. The district manager though did and ended up going there in person to make sure it was fixed and he gave me a $25 voucher, along with calling me three times afterwards to make sure I was still satisfied with their service. I have also done the same thing with Taco Bell when service has been horrendous, waiting as long as 30 minutes. You are never going to get something fixed if you don't speak up.
I think it's funny that both of your complaints were about situations where you ended up with TOO MUCH GAS!
Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #29
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99 View Post
I think it's funny that both of your complaints were about situations where you ended up with TOO MUCH GAS!
Yeah cause i am usually overjoyed when my bike has gas spilled all over it.

Although i do try to make a point to not fix the leaky vent tube on my tank. . . cold winters suck and if it means a little extra money at the pump to make this world a warmer place, than that's what i have to do.

Plus if all the sci -fi/ global warming myths are true if we are lucky and the world heats up enough California might fall into the ocean!!

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #30
Rob99
You come back...one year!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurcio1989 View Post
Yeah cause i am usually overjoyed when my bike has gas spilled all over it.
Sorry, I'll try to make some knock knock jokes that maybe you'll be able to understand.
Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.