Garage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Garage

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage

Anyone else have the occasional humidity issues with their garage? Sometimes the floor sweats in my garage to the point it looks like someone hosed it down. Clearly, vapor barrier wasn't used when the concrete was poured. I was more surprised last night to see my ceiling sweating quite a bit as well. I'm sure it's because it went from freezing and almost no humidity to 60°F and steady rain these last few days. Anyway, anyone else experience this from time to time?

Notice the shiny ceiling...

And another wet spot... I wondered if this one had something to do with the fuel/oil nearby.

ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
curbcrawler
1946 CJ2A 

Mine does this when I heat it. My tools get a little surface rust on them. frustrating.
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, this time of year everything sweats in my garage. I have an unfinished unattached garage and was hoping that insulation would stop that from happening.

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Images in the first picture appear to be from an unheated garage. My guess is the garage was maintained at a temperature below 60F. When the outdoors warmed up, it did so quicker than the garage. Dewpoint took over and stuff starts to sweat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbcrawler View Post
Mine does this when I heat it. My tools get a little surface rust on them. frustrating.
Curious. Please elaborate.
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

I only get the moist concrete. When I put a new AC/Heat in the house I included the garage. It knocks the humidity down in the summer
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
Images in the first picture appear to be from an unheated garage. My guess is the garage was maintained at a temperature below 60F. When the outdoors warmed up, it did so quicker than the garage. Dewpoint took over and stuff starts to sweat.
I believe you're on the money. The garage holds a decent temperature but it is not typically heated.
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Does your clothes dryer exhaust into your garage?
AKABOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

No it exhausts outside. I've never had the ceiling sweat before but I account this occurrence to the rapid change in temperature and humidity we've recently experienced.

The garage is attached to the house and is insulated only in the attic. The walls aren't insulated.

The floor has become moist multiple times but I tend to notice it most if I open up the doors and let air flow through. I believe the pattern is, if the air temperature doesn't match the floor, it sweats, which makes sense. It hasn't become an issue being that I've only seen it happen a handful of times. It's more of an annoyance than anything, especially since it removes the possibility of coating the floor.
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Concrete has a relatively high thermal mass. It takes a while to cool/heat up. Rapid changes in weather will out pace it everytime.

I keep my Jeep parked in the basement. If I pull out on a muggy morning, the whole darn thing gets covered in condensate. I have to wipe the inside of the windsheild in order to drive.
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ever try running a dehumidifier in there?
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

It's usually not bad. I think I'm partially to blame for opening up the doors on a nice day considering it has been so cold. I think a dehumidifier would beg me to unplug it in these few scenarios.
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

My garage was the same way yesterday mine is attached and uninsulated and not heated most of the time. Talk about prime rusting conditions. I am glad that is does not happen very often.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.