G36 for concealed carry? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > G36 for concealed carry?

Flowmaster Discount Code! Thank you JeepForum Members!!!!!Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!

Unread 12-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #46
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaForceB85 View Post
Alright, I apologize. No more flaming (I prefer the term educating) revolver shooters.

For CCW, I do like the 36 because of its single stack and slimmer slide. I've shot them before and they are a lot of fun. Check the grip on it out though. My friend has bigger hands than I do and found it difficult to manage. One of the girls that were shooting with had smaller hands and had issues depressing the magazine release button on it, so make sure you are comfortable with that as well.

If you are not familiar with purchasing a semi auto handgun, here are a couple of tips.

If the store owner will let you, clear it and with it pointed in a safe direction slowly dry fire it. Pay attention to the feel of the trigger and how much pressure it takes to squeeze it.

Hold it squarely in your hand. If there is space between the grip and the inside of your knuckles or the palm of your hand, it's a little narrow for you.

Rack the slide to the rear and engage the slide release with the thumb of your strong hand. If you can't reach it or struggle to, the grip is a little wide for you (or the slide release is in a bad place for the shape of your hand)

You can over come those issues, but buying a gun that you are more comfortable shooting is easier. ;-)

If you want to do a lot of shooting with it, consider the Glock 26, .45 rounds are expensive to practice with and if they start restricting ammo sales they get hard to find. (Experienced that 4 years ago myself.) 9mm rounds are everywhere. They are cheap to shoot, and they weigh a lot less.

The issue some people have with 9mm is over penetration and that its terminal ballistics aren't as good as 40 or 45. So if you do get a 9mm you would want to get every day carry ammo comparable to Speer Gold Dots or Winchester Rangers which is a little more expensive but gives you better terminal ballistics and less of a chance that you'll shoot through someone and hit an innocent bystander.

My favorite ccw is actually the ruger lc9 because I'm a smaller guy so the lighter weight and smaller size make it easier to conceal for me.
I'm quite comfortable with guns; Remember, I work the gun counter at a local sporting goods store. I play with pistols 8 hours a day. I've just never CC'd, and as such have no experience in that particular matter. I've done more shooting than your average 21 year old, though. I'm very comfortable with the feel of the 36, and it naturally points well to me. I have to find the mag release a bit, but that's just because I'm used to the release on my Mark 3 Hunter, which feels totally different. I'm also considering a SW shield in 40, just because it is even thinner but still packs a serious punch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangotag View Post
The Glock 36 is a decent carry gun, I carry one. It is roughly the same size except skinner than a Glock 19 but has less magazine capacity. There is no light rail on the 36 model so the front is a little smaller too.
A decent gun belt, and a quality holster are the key for comfortable daily carry. I normally carry 19 rounds as configured below. After daily carrying this for 6 months a Glock 26 and 19 feels much thicker.
With regards to a shot-timer, I am still faster shooting 9mm Glocks and they have more capacity giving you more potential critical hits on a bad guy, for about the same size, before a reload.
It's personal preference and right now I prefer the Glock 36 accepting the slightly extra recovery time between shots.
Don't get too caught up in the caliber debate, handguns still only shoot handgun bullets. Critical hits is what matters.
I'm not a big fan of the double stack glocks. I have relatively small hands, and the only double stack I like the feel of is the 21 SF. The standard sizes are just too big for me. I've also shot both sub compacts glocks in 9 and 40 and I don't like either of them; not having my pinky on the gun is something I really don't like, and it killed my second shot time with the 40.

Unread 12-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #47
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

You will find it hard to argue between the Glock and s&w you're looking at. Good luck!!! I'd pick the Glock but that's because my agency has a Glock armorer who works for us full time and does a lot of our firearms training, so I'm fully biased and well aware of it. LoL

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.