G36 for concealed carry? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > G36 for concealed carry?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 12-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #16
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiitekk View Post
I'd get the LCR in 357 actually. That way you can practice with .38's and carry full-on .357's. Catch what I mean?
You should practice what you carry. If you only shoot .38 spl, your body is not going to be used to .357 and in a defensive situation you need to have good muscle memory.

The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
GermanyChris
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
That's why I said or similar.

Glocks are ultra reliable and I would trust it for concealed carry, but nothing beats a revolver for reliability, Not to mention the .357 is a great round. Even the CCW instructors laugh at the guys with brand new unfired Glocks that they use for carrying.

If you want to use a Glock, then put a couple hundred rounds through it before you start carrying to make sure you don't get any jamming issues or have any issues with the ammo you use. The time you need to use it isn't the time to realize something is wrong.
If it ever occurred to me to conceal carry this is exactly what I'd do. In a concealed carry situation I cannot imagine capacity matters all that much. Revolvers are just too dependable to not to carry.
Unread 12-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
BlueDevilBrew
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris

If it ever occurred to me to conceal carry this is exactly what I'd do. In a concealed carry situation I cannot imagine capacity matters all that much. Revolvers are just too dependable to not to carry.
And a Glock semiauto isn't reliable? This is a myth that you need a revolver to have a reliable conceal carry weapon. This is thinking from like 25 years ago.

I'd MUCH rather have a semi auto with 15-17 rounds than a revolver with 6.
Unread 12-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #19
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

^You can't limp wrist or or have a casing stovepipe with a revolver. Just throwing that out there.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #20
GermanyChris
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrew View Post
And a Glock semiauto isn't reliable? This is a myth that you need a revolver to have a reliable conceal carry weapon. This is thinking from like 25 years ago.

I'd MUCH rather have a semi auto with 15-17 rounds than a revolver with 6.
Did I say that?
Or did I say:
A) Revolvers are just too dependable to not to carry.
B) In a concealed carry situation I cannot imagine capacity matters all that much.
Unread 12-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #21
jwhite207
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm not a big Taurus fan. After seeing all of the taurus guns come back to the store with complaints, I've been really turned off of them. They seem to make some guns that work incredible, but the majority have issues somewhere.
I haven't had any issues (yet). Only fired about 500 rounds through it and hasnt skipped a beat. Plus, i think revolvers are sexy
Unread 12-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #22
BlueDevilBrew
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris

Did I say that?
Or did I say:
A) Revolvers are just too dependable to not to carry.
B) In a concealed carry situation I cannot imagine capacity matters all that much.
That's cool, every LE agency and military in the world over the last 20 years, and the majority of CC users disagree with your choice. But you can use your six shooter and hope there's someone next to you with a semiauto in case you need a 7th round rofl.
Unread 12-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #23
chriswj

If its nock down power you want i think you should look at the 357sig army spec ops has it in feild testing right one of my old army buddys that is still in is gunsmith and he said the ballistics are amazing very fast and he said it has the ftlb's higher than the 45acp and i cant remember what model it is but it does come in a compact model give it look see my friend gives it very high marks.
Unread 12-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #24
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
Revolvers have some draw, notable the point and click aspect and the reliability. I have no argument there. I find autos more comfortable to shoot, though, and it is much easier to carry a reload for an auto than a speedloader for a revolver. As far as capacity goes, I really hope I don't need 15. The Glock 36 holds 6+1, and that is fine with me. But I feel a reload is a good idea. Just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
^You can't limp wrist or or have a casing stovepipe with a revolver. Just throwing that out there.
True. And in many cases you won't be in the ideal shooting position, which makes limp wristing and such a real possiblity, even if you know what you're doing. And if you're in close, a revolver will always fire when point blank (in contact with a body) whereas if the slide partially slides back on the auto from being in contact, it won't fire. I'm still partial to the auto for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswj View Post
If its nock down power you want i think you should look at the 357sig army spec ops has it in feild testing right one of my old army buddys that is still in is gunsmith and he said the ballistics are amazing very fast and he said it has the ftlb's higher than the 45acp and i cant remember what model it is but it does come in a compact model give it look see my friend gives it very high marks.
45 has plenty of knockdown power, and while the 357 sig is cool, it's very exepnsive, harder to find, and there aren't many carry guns made in that caliber.
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #25
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Springfield Armory XD-S .45? I would at least take a look at one of these and consider it, they are small, slim and great for deep concealment.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #26
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman1941 View Post
Revolvers have some draw, notable the point and click aspect and the reliability. I have no argument there. I find autos more comfortable to shoot, though, and it is much easier to carry a reload for an auto than a speedloader for a revolver. As far as capacity goes, I really hope I don't need 15. The Glock 36 holds 6+1, and that is fine with me. But I feel a reload is a good idea. Just in case.

True. And in many cases you won't be in the ideal shooting position, which makes limp wristing and such a real possiblity, even if you know what you're doing. And if you're in close, a revolver will always fire when point blank (in contact with a body) whereas if the slide partially slides back on the auto from being in contact, it won't fire. I'm still partial to the auto for some reason.

45 has plenty of knockdown power, and while the 357 sig is cool, it's very exepnsive, harder to find, and there aren't many carry guns made in that caliber.

The only reason I would carry an auto is for the extra magazine capacity. 7 rounds of .45 is not really worth it over the revolver. IMO if you are going to get a auto then don't bother with anything less than 10 rounds that way you don't have to carry a mag. Take a serious look at the Smith M&P .40 Compact or the G23. The guns are nice and small and .40 still packs plenty of punch. Use the Winchester Ranger SXT ammo for a little more hurt.

.357 wheelgun is still my first weapon of choice though. Ultra reliable, packs a good punch and every one I've shot is extremely accurate. The .38 is nice for target shooting, but when it comes to carrying you really want to make sure you finish the job.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #27
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Springfield Armory XD-S .45? I would at least take a look at one of these and consider it, they are small, slim and great for deep concealment.
I'm not a huge XD fan, as I can't shoot them to save my life for some reason. The grip just doesn't mesh with me. And I hate the way the xds feels, even though it is a nice size.

Quote:
The only reason I would carry an auto is for the extra magazine capacity. 7 rounds of .45 is not really worth it over the revolver. IMO if you are going to get a auto then don't bother with anything less than 10 rounds that way you don't have to carry a mag. Take a serious look at the Smith M&P .40 Compact or the G23. The guns are nice and small and .40 still packs plenty of punch. Use the Winchester Ranger SXT ammo for a little more hurt.

.357 wheelgun is still my first weapon of choice though. Ultra reliable, packs a good punch and every one I've shot is extremely accurate. The .38 is nice for target shooting, but when it comes to carrying you really want to make sure you finish the job.
I know 40 has plenty of power, but running with the M&P40C still gives you a double stack, which I dont want. Too fat. I like the slim feel of the single stack. I see no difference in buying an auto that gives you 6+1 vs a revolver that gives you 6. The main reason I like the G36 over something like a Ruger LCR in 357 is because I've shot the G36, I know I can shoot it well, and it feels good in my hand. And a 45 is plenty of power.

I've yet to feel a compact revolver in 357 that I like. The LCR is tolerable, but I don't like shooting 38+P's in it, so i know I wouldnt like the 357. I still like the feel of the autos better.
Unread 12-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #28
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman1941 View Post
I'm not a huge XD fan, as I can't shoot them to save my life for some reason. The grip just doesn't mesh with me. And I hate the way the xds feels, even though it is a nice size.

I know 40 has plenty of power, but running with the M&P40C still gives you a double stack, which I dont want. Too fat. I like the slim feel of the single stack. I see no difference in buying an auto that gives you 6+1 vs a revolver that gives you 6. The main reason I like the G36 over something like a Ruger LCR in 357 is because I've shot the G36, I know I can shoot it well, and it feels good in my hand. And a 45 is plenty of power.

I've yet to feel a compact revolver in 357 that I like. The LCR is tolerable, but I don't like shooting 38+P's in it, so i know I wouldnt like the 357. I still like the feel of the autos better.
The difference in buying a revolver with 6 and a G36 with 6+1 is the fact that revolver is way more reliable for 1 less round. That's how I feel on the subject. Besides, if you need more than a few shots you probably shouldn't be carrying anyways .

Also you know if you ever have to use it you will have so much adrenaline you won't feel the recoil or anything right? It doesn't really matter how much it kicks for a carry gun that you will shoot maybe a couple times if you have to use it. I don't know if you've tried out the Smith, but that one is nice too.

I mean, if you want to use an auto that will be perfectly fine and a Glock is very dependable, But I just feel revolvers are better for concealed carry is all. Why don't you get one of each? That's what I would do.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #29
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The difference in buying a revolver with 6 and a G36 with 6+1 is the fact that revolver is way more reliable for 1 less round. That's how I feel on the subject. Besides, if you need more than a few shots you probably shouldn't be carrying anyways .

Also you know if you ever have to use it you will have so much adrenaline you won't feel the recoil or anything right? It doesn't really matter how much it kicks for a carry gun that you will shoot maybe a couple times if you have to use it. I don't know if you've tried out the Smith, but that one is nice too.

I mean, if you want to use an auto that will be perfectly fine, I just feel revolvers are better for concealed carry is all. Why don't you get one of each? That's what I would do.
I'm a college kid paying tuition, books, housing, food, everything on my own working a minimum wage job and going to school full time. Money is not in abundance And I do understand the deal with not feeling recoil during an adrenalized moment, but that does not negate simple physics that the more recoil, the longer it takes to get back on target. There had to be a balance there.

The only reliability difference I see between the glock and the revolver is shooting from an awkward position or shooting while in contact with an attacker. Those are both two distinct possibilities, but both can be overcome with the auto with a bit of adjustment. I plan on shooting the gun quite a bit, so I need something that doesn't make me cry when I put my carry loads in to practice with. I know I wont practice much with them, but I think it's stupid to carry ammo that you have never shot before.
Unread 12-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #30
BlueDevilBrew
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I can't believe how many of you are touting the reliability of a revolver over a glock. They're both EXTREMELY reliable period. You guys should try to make these points over a glocktalk.com and see the response you get lol.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.