friends camry keeps overheating ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > friends camry keeps overheating ?

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

friends camry keeps overheating ?

Sorry I cant seem to find a section to talk about non Jeeps.. I coulda sworn there was one..

Anyway he has a 92 Camry 132k miles.. and its a 2.2 4 cylinder.. His radiator had a pin hole and he overheated his car.. it went above the red line he said... he has done this before on a VW he had... he like never looks at his gauges when driving randomly.. Anyway.. I replaced his radiator and bled the air out and the car constantly overheats after maybe 10-15 miles. It gets so hot it goes past the red line and the coolant boils and shoots out of the reservoir,..

I replaced the thermostat next his old one was in really bad shape.. But that didn't do jack... the fans do come on, how ever while bleeding air through the system I noticed it just constantly loses coolant and I have to keep refilling it and air bubbles never stop coming out of the radiator top.. He brought it to his friend mechanic and his friend said it was the clamps he had a leaky hose.. im like yea.... ok I didn't see any leaks... So after that he got all confident and drove it to NY but had to pull over 6 times because it overheated..

I keep telling him its probably his head gasket or he probly has a cracked head... There is no other way he keeps having to refill this thing and it keeps overheating after only 10-15 miles that and there air bubbles I keep seeing... Like I literally bled it for 3 hours and air keeps coming out when you rev the car... there is no way it has that much air in it lol.

So am I right to assume that the first time he overheated that thing to the 260f + mark that he probably jacked his head gasket up.. He keeps saying now the fans aren't coming on when its overheating.. but they come on when the a/c is on.. yada yada... now he thinks its the fan sensor switch... but I keep telling him dude... when your thermostat opens and I can see it open by the flowing of the coolent looking through the radiator top.. the fans do come on... The reason it isn't coming on when it overheats is because you have air in the system..

Am I right ? He keeps bothering me about his darn car and im no trained mechanic but obviously I know cars pretty well.. and he refuses to listen when I say its the head gasket.. So what should I tell him lol ? Am I right to assume its the head gasket... How else is constantly over heating after 10 miles ?

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

More than likely a head issue or could be a blocked radiator (unlikely due to fluid movement). Heat can warp a head easy and destroy the gasket. I think its a 3-5 hour job by the book. I would check the oil to make sure its not leaking in there. If you pull the head take it to a machine shop to have them check the head and level the mating surface.

If he keeps bugging you about it tell him to take it to a shop so they can diagnose the problem.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
Rfield

If it wasn't losing coolant, i'd say radiator cap. If they don't hold pressure the coolant will not circulate correctly.

If it is losing coolant, where is it going? Three places it can go, the ground, the oil pan, the combustion chamber. If there are no visable leaks and the engine oil doesn't look like a milk shake that would leave the combustion chamber. If it is going in the combustion chamber, you should be able to smell it in the cars exhaust. Or pull the plugs and give them a sniff.

Good luck.
Rfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

With the symptoms you are desicribing and how much he drove it too hot and kept doing it..you can pretty much count on that aluminum head being cracked and warped to hell and back.

And as many times it has gotten that hot,he'd be lucky if the rings werent shot and scarred cylinder bores.along with bearings being wiped out...etc etc..

Best thing to do at this point is pull the head and have it checked ..but if i was to try to fix something that went through all that,i'd seriously be considering a new reman engine or rebuild....

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.