Fresh Water Aquarium: Bass, Bluegill, Catfish - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Fresh Water Aquarium: Bass, Bluegill, Catfish

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #46
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, but never for anything that small.

I have done a few for 55g, 90g, and 120g from just 2x4s

Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #47
LoCkEd31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah 2x4s seem to be the way to go until you've got Flipper in your tank. My hope is to use re-use some of the stand I build to this setup on a future tank.
Unread 10-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #48
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

heres the one i built for my 90g. its very stout. on anything bigger than 90g, I do a center brace as well

Unread 10-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #49
LoCkEd31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
heres the one i built for my 90g. its very stout. on anything bigger than 90g, I do a center brace as well

That looks really good, how high is it?
Unread 10-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #50
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

I also used 2x4's for my last tank stand. If you read on line a lot and look at whats factory made, 2x4's are overkill. But I wanted to make sure the stand would take anything. Used a piano hinge for the doors.
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #51
LoCkEd31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here is my set-up until tomorrow when a couple fish move in!

Small java fern to get my plants going, Id like to add a plant that is straight, tall and rigid to kind of hide the filter intake. Any suggestions?

Sent from The Temple of Doom
Unread 10-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #52
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked31 View Post

that looks really good, how high is it?
30"
Unread 10-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #53
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

Never mind
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #54
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have used the same stand design on two of my tanks since I used to be on a tight budget (currently tankless, but things will change once I move into my new apartment next year). This is really the only good shot of the stand that I have...2 x 4's, plywood and some cinder blocks did the trick for me and cost close to nothing. It was ugly but did the job. Now that I finally have money I am going to invest in a nice cabinet stand on my next tank.

Here is what my tank looked like before tearing it down back in April, if you're interested:

I tore it down because I honestly grew quite tired of plants after keeping them for two years. It was annoying always worrying about any sign of nutrient deficiencies in my plants, and I could never fully focus on the pleasure of having fish. After I took this down I swore I would only keep cichlids for the next few years, and that's what I'm going to do this coming summer...I'm itching to get back into it!
Unread 11-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #55
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

USN Jeep Club Number 41
Unread 11-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #56
LoCkEd31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

**UPDATE**

I bought two Five Banded Barbs last Wednesday and they seem to like their new home! They were shy for the first day or so and liked to hid behind the Java Fern, but they're now flitting around and chasing eachother!

I'm thinking about getting one or two (dwarf/micro?) corys to work cleanup duty. Maybe a couple of more colorful fish if anyone has any suggestions?
Unread 11-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #57
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Barbs can be a bit aggressive towards most other small fish. They are known to have issues with tetras. Maybe a blue ram, but not sure how that would turn out. Also, it seems like there hasn't been enough time for the water to cycle. I'd suggest doing a 30-40% water change right now and another in a few days. You don't want an ammonia spike to kill everything
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #58
LoCkEd31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Barbs can be a bit aggressive towards most other small fish. They are known to have issues with tetras. Maybe a blue ram, but not sure how that would turn out. Also, it seems like there hasn't been enough time for the water to cycle. I'd suggest doing a 30-40% water change right now and another in a few days. You don't want an ammonia spike to kill everything
I spoke with the local aquarium store folks today and they suggested maybe another banded barb in the future depending on how these to get on with their tank mates in the future. She said that usually if two are aggressive, a third will calm things down. So I might look into that.

My levels are staying pretty steady so far. I started cycling Oct. 26 and had a bio-rock from the original owner that hopefully transferred some beneficial bacteria. PH has stayed right at 7.6, might be high? Ammonia and Nitrates have also stayed at 0 ppm so far. I'm going to continue testing every couple of days to be sure there isn't a spike.

I've started to see a little algae growth on the glass, so I've turned down the timer for my light. Should I clean the glass now or wait to see if it subsides with less light?
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #59
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Replying to your title...
I've had all these fish. The bluegill are the toughest per inch. The bass are hard to keep. I've never had them last a long time successfully.

Bluegill and sunfish are easy and versatile.

Catfish are boring but easy. They'll hide under ledges all the time.

Start them young or they won't eat pellets. Pellet fed fish are easiest.

Native fish really are best.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #60
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCkEd31 View Post
I've started to see a little algae growth on the glass, so I've turned down the timer for my light. Should I clean the glass now or wait to see if it subsides with less light?
I'd let the algae grow. Once you are certain you are past the water cycle period, grab a bristle nose plecco. Just one for that size tank. He will go to town and have the glass algae free in 24-48 hours.

Pleccos are more at risk when it comes to water issues than most fish, so its important to make sure its past the cycle point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.