Fresh Water Aquarium: Bass, Bluegill, Catfish - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Fresh Water Aquarium: Bass, Bluegill, Catfish

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #31
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post

It don't cost much to throw a couple boards up and sheetrock it and repaint then you can keep your 1000+ $ tank lol
True im thinking of getting one above my bed in the wall how would cleaning work? If its in the wall you would have to work out some system.

Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #32
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Ive had bluegills for awhile last one died because of going blind and being unable to catch food. They wont grow as big in a tank as they do in the wild. My biggest blue was 5 inches and the dominate predator in the tank. Food for them was live bugs and small fish because of the hunting instinct. Sun fish can handle a wide temperature range up to around the mid 70s before they start stressing once I found out it liked it around 73 I put in a large pleco. If you want a catfish you need a strong tank as they can break normal tanks with their body.

There are a few larger tank companies that offer reinforced tanks in the 300+ gallon size but they get expensive very quick. I am personally looking at custom building a tank 1000 gallons but for that I need to make sure the floor can handle the weight. Minimum of around 9500 lbs for everything. A pond is a cheaper way to keep game like has been said. Biggest problem you will have with that is other predators wanting to eat your fish.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #33
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstime View Post

True im thinking of getting one above my bed in the wall how would cleaning work? If its in the wall you would have to work out some system.
Make the wall above it look like a cabinet or something but it really is more of a door to clean the tank
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #34
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post

Make the wall above it look like a cabinet or something but it really is more of a door to clean the tank
I would have to try and keep it hidden I like the solid look
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #35
LoCkEd31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Alrighty I need some more help. The tank my friend had wasn't 10 gallons, it's only about 5.5. Now I'm worried about it being TOO small and having problems. I've read that a bigger tank will be less quick to go crazy with bad stuff. And that's what has led me to look for some bigger-ish tanks.

I've found a 55 gallon for sale, comes with some parts and a stand. I'm probably going to get all new pumps/filters (I may have mentioned that earlier). What do you all think? Would a 55 gallon be too big? I'd hate to start with something small, and hate it because it jumps around too quickly. Ugh, back and forth over here.
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #36
E1wood5150
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm just down the road a piece from you, in Goochland. We have a 20 gal set up if you are interested, to get you started. I'd give you everything except the filter, which is a Fluval G6 for a 150 gal tank. Its a killer filter. That'll keep that tank clean as all get out.

We have a pretty big Oscar in a 30 gal tank. He's a filthy fish, and I'd personally never own one, but the wifey sometimes brings things home without prior approval. We also have a 125 gal set up with angelfish, a brown knife, a couple loaches, some cory's and a big pleco. We had bala sharks and silver dollars to start with, and ended up giving them to the local VA hospital. The bala's got HUGE (a couple were about a foot long) and the silver dollars were pretty big as well (one was about 5" in diameter).

I'd love to have a bass and a few crappie, but live food, plants and all the craziness associated with them is more than I want to invest. I already have a couple grand in fish and fish stuff, and really wouldn't mind having that space and cash available for something else.

I also have another 125 gal tank that has a small crack in it that would be great for someone wanting turtles/lizards/snakes/insects/rodents. Anyone interested, let me know via PM. Bring your trailer, and I'll help you load it. Its yours for the taking. I want my saw horses and that part of the basement back!
MORE TO COME!
E1wood5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #37
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Whats a good start im thinking I only have room for a 20 gallon what would be some good fish to keep? I really want to get into it
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #38
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

I've been pondering a aquascape tank for awhile like a 20gal or something with a ton of tetras cause they school
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #39
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstime View Post
Whats a good start im thinking I only have room for a 20 gallon what would be some good fish to keep? I really want to get into it
Depends on what type of fish you want and how much you want to deal with it. I avoid goldfish at all costs because they are nasty fish. Stuff like tetras, guppies and platies are easy fish to start off with. Make sure to buy at least 5 and they wont get much bigger than 1-1.5 inch for that size of tank.

Quote:
I've been pondering a aquascape tank for awhile like a 20gal or something with a ton of tetras cause they school
You dont want to overload the tank which can cause imbalances in the water which might kill the fish.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #40
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos858 View Post

Depends on what type of fish you want and how much you want to deal with it. I avoid goldfish at all costs because they are nasty fish. Stuff like tetras, guppies and platies are easy fish to start off with. Make sure to buy at least 5 and they wont get much bigger than 1-1.5 inch for that size of tank.

You dont want to overload the tank which can cause imbalances in the water which might kill the fish.
I want to get rid of my tv for a tank but the lady friend wont let that happen...
Unread 10-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #41
torchd
1998 ZJ 

I am subscribing bc I want to see pics when it is all set up and going

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #42
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Some fish to look at for most small tanks are bristle nose plecos and Cory cats. Bristle nose stay relatively small (6") and one will keep the glass of a 20g spotless. Cory cats stay between 1-2" depending on variety, clean the bottom of the tank well, and are almost always schooling.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #43
LoCkEd31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quick update for those still lingering:

I'm going with a 5 gallon tank (provided by a friend that was getting rid of it). It's been cycling over the weekend and I've been measuring Ammonia and Nitrate but haven't seen much change. Hopefully going to pick up a PH and Nitrite kit at the pet store today. I'm going to build a stand for it with 2x4s in SketchUp tonight and hopefully pick up the lumber sometime this week.

I felt it was a good idea to test out a smaller tank to see if I really like having an aquarium, and then possibly upgrade in a year or so to something bigger. I know small tanks can be tricky but I figure if I'm able to get a small one stable and get good habits formed then I'll be able to tackle a good sized tank.

Ironhead I like the idea of the Cory cats. Little guys will do well in this small tank. Do you think 2 would be enough to call a "school" for them?

I'll take a pic tonight to give you all the layout so far!
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #44
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

I have a 75 gallon fully planted tank. It's got a couple angels and ghost shrimp.

With chemicals today you really don't need to cycle tanks like you used to.

Biggest advise I can give you is to be careful with water changes. Make sure that the water temp is as close as possible. If it's a lot different you'll shock and kill the fish. I've done it before.

I would have said to start with as big of tank you can afford. It's so much easier to take care of larger tanks IMO.
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #45
LoCkEd31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Have any of you all built a stand for your aquarium? I've been doing some searching and found a few designs that people have used, but I'm always looking for more input!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.