Fresh Water Aquarium: Bass, Bluegill, Catfish - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Fresh Water Aquarium: Bass, Bluegill, Catfish

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Reply
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
Itstime
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooneys08JK View Post

My vote is Pacu...

Depending on how big, it could have also been a full grown silver dollar. However, if you say REALLY big my guess it Pacu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacu
I am 90% sure thats what it was we had 3 of them. The people we gave them to said they got to big so they got rid of them.

Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #17
LoCkEd31
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 39
So it looks like I may be able to borrow a tank from a friend at work. He's guessing it's about 10 gallons. Would that be a decent starter size? The more I research the more it sounds like a better idea to try something smaller out and then maybe expand later.

Any suggestions for live plants and freshwater fish that would be good to start with? I'd like to have a good variety of fish in there but I understand that 10 gallons isn't a whole lot to work with.
__________________
"Did ya try klankin' it?"
LoCkEd31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
Indy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 3,151
10g is fine for a starter tank, not fine for those fish though. That's 1-2" adult sized fish territory. You would have to fold a bass in half to get it into a 10g. For a first tank in freshwater just go to any pet store. The 'cheap' fish are usually starter fish, goldfish, guppies, barbs, etc. The new 'glowfish' type are pretty neat looking, easy to keep as well. Moving up in tank size from there you get into things cichlid sized (lots of hiding spaces needed).
__________________
I'm the only gay eskimo.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
Itstime
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCkEd31 View Post
So it looks like I may be able to borrow a tank from a friend at work. He's guessing it's about 10 gallons. Would that be a decent starter size? The more I research the more it sounds like a better idea to try something smaller out and then maybe expand later.

Any suggestions for live plants and freshwater fish that would be good to start with? I'd like to have a good variety of fish in there but I understand that 10 gallons isn't a whole lot to work with.
Try 10 first I remember helping dad switch out the water of our huge one man that sucked! One day ill have a tank like we did though I loved watching them. I want to put one in a wall maybe separating a kitchen and living room.
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville, Kansas
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCkEd31 View Post
So it looks like I may be able to borrow a tank from a friend at work. He's guessing it's about 10 gallons. Would that be a decent starter size? The more I research the more it sounds like a better idea to try something smaller out and then maybe expand later.

Any suggestions for live plants and freshwater fish that would be good to start with? I'd like to have a good variety of fish in there but I understand that 10 gallons isn't a whole lot to work with.
10 gallons if done can be a sexy tank. Just go on pet smart and look at there fish on the website they should say the experience level on the fish is.
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #21
LoCkEd31
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 39
Oh yeah definitely not putting anything big in a tank that small. I'd feel bad taking something like that out of a lake/pond and putting it in something that would be cramped.

Would you say pet smart (or other pet chain) would also have decent plants too?
__________________
"Did ya try klankin' it?"
LoCkEd31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #22
Itstime
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooneys08JK View Post

My vote is Pacu...

Depending on how big, it could have also been a full grown silver dollar. However, if you say REALLY big my guess it Pacu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacu
It was a pacu. We had 3 of them with lots of other fish the tank took up a good part of a long wall. We had bottom feeders and crabs but they always killed each other. :/
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #23
Cooneys08JK
Senior Member
 
Cooneys08JK's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Martha's Vineyard, MA
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstime View Post
It was a pacu. We had 3 of them with lots of other fish the tank took up a good part of a long wall. We had bottom feeders and crabs but they always killed each other. :/
Thought so. My buddy had a GIANT pacu in a 250 gallon. Thing could barely turn around after awhile. He also had to be really careful when walking around the tank. One spook and he was worried the pacu would go flying through the glass. He heard many loud THUDS but never the cracking of glass and rushing of water sound afterwards. Until one day....

He had hired a cleaning lady to come to his house and one day she called him in a panic. He went flying home only to find a pacu on the ground next to a vacuum and a glass and waterlogged floor.

The Pacu was still alive, barely. His only option was to take it out back to his frog pond in the back yard. He tossed that sucker in there where it thrived for the summer. Once it was starting to get cold he found a local aquarium who wanted it. He drained the pond and brought the fish over to the aquarium where he lived another 2 or 3 years!
__________________
'08 Black 2door JK- DD

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #24
Itstime
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooneys08JK View Post

Thought so. My buddy had a GIANT pacu in a 250 gallon. Thing could barely turn around after awhile. He also had to be really careful when walking around the tank. One spook and he was worried the pacu would go flying through the glass. He heard many loud THUDS but never the cracking of glass and rushing of water sound afterwards. Until one day....

He had hired a cleaning lady to come to his house and one day she called him in a panic. He went flying home only to find a pacu on the ground next to a vacuum and a glass and waterlogged floor.

The Pacu was still alive, barely. His only option was to take it out back to his frog pond in the back yard. He tossed that sucker in there where it thrived for the summer. Once it was starting to get cold he found a local aquarium who wanted it. He drained the pond and brought the fish over to the aquarium where he lived another 2 or 3 years!
Ya I knew we bit off more then we could chew haha they get insanely huge! It scared the whole town when they found one in our local lake. ;p
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #25
Ironhead
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Westchester, Illinois
Posts: 3,291
as it should, pacu are becoming an issue in north american lakes as they have rather large teeth and are known to bite men in a rather uncomfortable place

needless to say, if you catch one, DO NOT THROW IT BACK, and if you have one as a pet, DO NOT RELEASE IT INTO THE WILD.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #26
Itstime
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
as it should, pacu are becoming an issue in north american lakes as they have rather large teeth and are known to bite men in a rather uncomfortable place

needless to say, if you catch one, DO NOT THROW IT BACK, and if you have one as a pet, DO NOT RELEASE IT INTO THE WILD.
Ya it was the guys we gave them to that let them go I remember my dad getting mad at them for it I think we drained the whole lake because of it.
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #27
Itstime
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 320
I always loved fish I think im going to go ahead and get a small tank one day its my dream to have one in a wall separating a kitchen and living room.
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #28
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville, Kansas
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstime View Post
I always loved fish I think im going to go ahead and get a small tank one day its my dream to have one in a wall separating a kitchen and living room.
Same or along the wall in a hallway
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #29
Itstime
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post

Same or along the wall in a hallway
I would make it light up a path to the bathroom at night or something like that. I bet tanks bring down the resale??? I never looked into that but not everyone wants a tank in a wall.
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #30
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville, Kansas
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstime View Post

I would make it light up a path to the bathroom at night or something like that. I bet tanks bring down the resale??? I never looked into that but not everyone wants a tank in a wall.
It don't cost much to throw a couple boards up and sheetrock it and repaint then you can keep your 1000+ $ tank lol
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.