Fresh Water Aquarium: Bass, Bluegill, Catfish - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Fresh Water Aquarium: Bass, Bluegill, Catfish

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 10-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
LoCkEd31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Fresh Water Aquarium: Bass, Bluegill, Catfish

Hey all,

I'm beginning my research into building a fresh water aquarium for a few native fish. I'd like to do something like 1 bass (large or small mouth), 2-4 bluegill and possibly 1-2 catfish (channel cat maybe?).

I read through this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/aq...forum-1413503/

Not sure how to tag members in a thread so I'm hoping percent20, pinky2252s and Indy might see this and be able to help!

Thanks!

Unread 10-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCkEd31 View Post
Hey all,

I'm beginning my research into building a fresh water aquarium for a few native fish. I'd like to do something like 1 bass (large or small mouth), 2-4 bluegill and possibly 1-2 catfish (channel cat maybe?).

I read through this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/aq...forum-1413503/

Not sure how to tag members in a thread so I'm hoping percent20, pinky2252s and Indy might see this and be able to help!

Thanks!
Your going to need a huge aquarium 100 gallons plus with sand lots of plants a nice hallow log for the cat fish a filter will help a lot it'd be a huge tank most money will be the tank and filter but you can get the sand from the river or lake along with the plants and a nice log or two for the cat fish.
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post

Your going to need a huge aquarium 100 gallons plus with sand lots of plants a nice hallow log for the cat fish a filter will help a lot it'd be a huge tank most money will be the tank and filter but you can get the sand from the river or lake along with the plants and a nice log or two for the cat fish.
X2

You're going to need a big tank. One that is short and wide. Like a 5x5 foot rectangle that's at least 3 foot deep. Very expensive too unless you build one yourself with acrylic sheets. You're going to want a large sump filter system plus all the plant life that is in their habitat. I would imagine it being at least 200 gallons.

Maybe reconsider the fish you want?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

I'd recommend to the op to get a 10 or 20 fall n tank get some platies some tetras stuff like that. Research research research before you go buying fish. Some fish a picky say tiger barbs you will get by with one but if you have two they will not last long you'd need 1 or 5+ because they can be aggressive little guys. Also recommended looking at a fish chart it'll show what gets along with what what will tolerate what also what will by no means want to be in the same tank. Could also get a female betta sorority tank. If you take this path you'd need a mirror when you go picking them hold it to them if they flare up I wouldn't recommend buying it if you do it'll be the only one you could get that flares up or they'll fight trying to prove dominance. The ones that don't flare will swim off. Also remember you need to accumulate a big tank longer then a smaller one. It gives it time for the beneficial bacteria to form in the water. A lot of people will do this to bigger tanks for weeks. Smaller (10-20) you could get by with a day or two or the water sitting and the filter filtering. Also remember to test a tank before adding fish. Ick is always possible when adding fish to a tank I'd get a thermometer that is adjustable. And set it to I think 82 or 83 ick doesn't spread or grow at that temp. Also live plants bought from stores wash the **** out of it my gf got one half assed washed it and got snails ( their a pain in the *** to get rid of). Pretty much anything that goes into the tank run in under water for awhile no soap. Sane goes for rocks throw them in a strainer and run water through them for awhile ( water will be the color of the rocks for awhile when your cleaning them). Basically this post was to just recommend for you to slowly get into aquariums. Because with bigger tanks and no knowledge or experience **** can get stressful quick. By no means don't be scared of it just research it
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
LoCkEd31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the quick posts guys! I definitely want to take my time and do everything correctly from the beginning.

I did some figuring earlier today and came up with around a 359 gal. tank. That was using a 2 inches = 10 gal. ratio. Im not sure of thats a good way to do it but I am sure i cant afford a tank that big haha.

Im going to do some research into building a tank, mostly to talk myself out of building one ;-).

I may have to re-think my fish options, but no one ever gets to see those types of fish swimming around in clear water!

Sent from The Temple of Doom
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:39 AM   #6
Indy

Possible, but not easy. Or affordable on my salary.

Both the bass and the cat will eat the bluegills, and whichever that is left will eat the smaller one . And yeah, BIG tank. Native stye fish arent likely to do well without a lot of swimming room and their diet is going to get expensive in a hurry. As the bass and cat get bigger youll be feeding them large whole fish or lots of worms/dirt critters several times a day, that will make filtration a massive chore, unless you have a couple thousand gallons. The inch/gallon rule is for typical aquarium style fish (use adult length not juvenile) and it usually isnt the best rule to follow. Depending on the fish type even 1" to 5 gallons can be overstocked. I havent figured my stock list for my newest tank, but i wouldnt be surprised if i end up at 1:10 or 1:20.

And to top it off if the fish are native to your state you will likely have a pretty intensive permitting and home inspection process with regular follow up visits from game and fish. They may have to be purchased from an in state fish farm, catching and transporting is often times illegal as well. If they are non-native you may be looking at a felony by importing them live. States spend millions every year trying to just get a handle on invasive species, they frown on someone introducing more.

I looked into keeping a big tank with trout a few years ago. Way more trouble with just the paperwork than i want to get into. So still doable if you have the passion but id be really sure i wanted to dedicate the time and resources to that project. It will eat up a lot of both

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCkEd31
Thanks for the quick posts guys! I definitely want to take my time and do everything correctly from the beginning.

I did some figuring earlier today and came up with around a 359 gal. tank. That was using a 2 inches = 10 gal. ratio. Im not sure of thats a good way to do it but I am sure i cant afford a tank that big haha.

Im going to do some research into building a tank, mostly to talk myself out of building one ;-).

I may have to re-think my fish options, but no one ever gets to see those types of fish swimming around in clear water!

Sent from The Temple of Doom
Pretty sure I see them whenever I go to bass pro in Richmond or Hampton awesome idea though, I'd love a giant fish tank with big fish.
MattBillyTayloe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
LoCkEd31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Possible, but not easy. Or affordable on my salary.

Both the bass and the cat will eat the bluegills, and whichever that is left will eat the smaller one . And yeah, BIG tank. Native stye fish arent likely to do well without a lot of swimming room and their diet is going to get expensive in a hurry. As the bass and cat get bigger youll be feeding them large whole fish or lots of worms/dirt critters several times a day, that will make filtration a massive chore, unless you have a couple thousand gallons. The inch/gallon rule is for typical aquarium style fish (use adult length not juvenile) and it usually isnt the best rule to follow. Depending on the fish type even 1" to 5 gallons can be overstocked. I havent figured my stock list for my newest tank, but i wouldnt be surprised if i end up at 1:10 or 1:20.

And to top it off if the fish are native to your state you will likely have a pretty intensive permitting and home inspection process with regular follow up visits from game and fish. They may have to be purchased from an in state fish farm, catching and transporting is often times illegal as well. If they are non-native you may be looking at a felony by importing them live. States spend millions every year trying to just get a handle on invasive species, they frown on someone introducing more.

I looked into keeping a big tank with trout a few years ago. Way more trouble with just the paperwork than i want to get into. So still doable if you have the passion but id be really sure i wanted to dedicate the time and resources to that project. It will eat up a lot of both
That's a good point about paperwork. I called the VA Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries yesterday and they researched it and got back to me. They said as long as I had a fishing license, I could have the following in my possession:

5 bass
50 bluegill
20 catfish

They also said that for those species there wouldn't be any additional inspections or licenses needed for an aquarium. There's no way I would have that many fish, but it's good to know the numbers.

I've talked with an aquarium place here in Charlottesville and they suggested keeping only young fish that I catch and introducing them into the tank. That way they can all grow up together and hopefully be more cordial. She also mentioned that with being fed by me there would be less reason for them to go after each other.

Thoughts?
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCkEd31 View Post
That's a good point about paperwork. I called the VA Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries yesterday and they researched it and got back to me. They said as long as I had a fishing license, I could have the following in my possession:

5 bass
50 bluegill
20 catfish

They also said that for those species there wouldn't be any additional inspections or licenses needed for an aquarium. There's no way I would have that many fish, but it's good to know the numbers.

I've talked with an aquarium place here in Charlottesville and they suggested keeping only young fish that I catch and introducing them into the tank. That way they can all grow up together and hopefully be more cordial. She also mentioned that with being fed by me there would be less reason for them to go after each other.

Thoughts?
this is true, but the tank size would still be outrageous. i dont think there is any north american cat that is acceptable for the average home fish tank.

I had a large mouth in a 240 and he did ok, but he was by himself and needed more room. I have always wanted to do a school of bluegills or sunfish, but thats about all i could see getting away with for north american game fish.

then you get into the issues of natural tank cleaners and cold water. I like bristle nose pleccos and synodontis cats, and neither do well in cold water
Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Indy

VA looks to be more forgiving than WY by a far margin. So your main concern is going to be cost. Big tank, lots of food and lots of filtration. You'll probably want to do a heavily planted tank to lower the stress on the fish. Lighting should be cheap, basic plant fluorescents to keep the plants alive without being too bright and bothering the fish. Plants will also help with nutrient uptake and make cut a bit on the algae side. The less 'stuff' in the water the less algae you should have. One of the parts of natural filtration.

Fish, especially wild ones, won't be tame no matter what you do. They may get used to being fed but you won't over-ride their natural instincts to feed. The only way to keep prey/predators in the same tank is to make sure the predator is full, constantly. And then they may still eat what you don't want them to eat. If something triggers their strike instinct it's getting hit. And a prey animal knows everything is out to get it so even if the predator has no interest in it because it stuffed, it doesn't know. So the little guys will be living in constant stress if they can't escape the immediate area. Lots and lots of hiding places will help but it won't eliminate the stress entirely.

How about a big outdoor pond instead of a tank? Cooler imo (I really want a pond), cheaper, probably healthier for the fish.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

We had a huge tank when I was a kid it was crazy big. We lived on the second floor of an apartment and they made us get rid of it. I loved them fish. They looked like piranhas but
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

We had a huge tank when I was a kid it was crazy big. We lived on the second floor of an apartment and they made us get rid of it. I loved them fish. They looked like piranhas but were not. We gave everything away for free a few years later I saw front page of the paper that they found a piranha in the local lake. Needless to say it was the type of fish I had. I will ask my dad what kind I had as I was to young to remember but they got REALLY big!
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstime View Post
We had a huge tank when I was a kid it was crazy big. We lived on the second floor of an apartment and they made us get rid of it. I loved them fish. They looked like piranhas but were not. We gave everything away for free a few years later I saw front page of the paper that they found a piranha in the local lake. Needless to say it was the type of fish I had. I will ask my dad what kind I had as I was to young to remember but they got REALLY big!
Oscars?
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

it was probably a red pacu
Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstime View Post
My vote is Pacu...

Depending on how big, it could have also been a full grown silver dollar. However, if you say REALLY big my guess it Pacu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacu

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.