Free maps for your GPS - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Free maps for your GPS

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 03-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #31
EasyE
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just ordered a Garmin nuvi 500 w topo installed.. I also have a Etrex legend.
So.. From what I understand from this post...

> I can download higher detailed 24k scale maps into the nuvi for free.. COOL!

>The Nuvi will not allow me to download my tracks to a computer?! I thought the Garmin website said otherwise....

Will the Mapsource 24K Topo SD cards allow me to download my tracks?

My Legend does it without a hitch.

Thanks

EasyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #32
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyE View Post
Just ordered a Garmin nuvi 500 w topo installed.. I also have a Etrex legend.
So.. From what I understand from this post...

> I can download higher detailed 24k scale maps into the nuvi for free.. COOL!

>The Nuvi will not allow me to download my tracks to a computer?! I thought the Garmin website said otherwise....

Will the Mapsource 24K Topo SD cards allow me to download my tracks?

My Legend does it without a hitch.

Thanks

While I have not used a Nuvi 500, none of the Nuvi's I have played will would store a track. However in reading the information on the Garmin web site it states that it will store 10 routes. So you should be good to go with out anything else. My only problem with the 500 is the topo maps that are included are the lower resolution maps, not the higher resolution maps that can be down loaded for free. Now the cool thing about the low resolution maps is you can load the whole USA at once. The high resolution maps take more memory so you can only load a couple of states at a time.

Here is a link to a web site that does a side by side comparison of the two maps.

Link

If it was me, I would skip the Nuvi 500, and get the Nuvi 1450. It's the same price. No topo maps (see links at start of thread to download them for free), and it is not water waterproof like the 500 claims to be, but it has a bigger screen. Bigger screen is always nicer.

That is not to say the 500 sucks or anything, the 500 is a much improvement over most street GPS out there. Also unless you are a hardcore tech/map person, the 500 will probably do every thing you want/need

You also asked about adding the higher resolution topo maps on top of the preloaded low res. I'm going to say that is probably not a good ideal. The reason being you are going to have a lot of over lapping information displayed on the screen and they will not line up 100%. In other words one map may be off one way and the other map is off the there way.

Hope this is helpful.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #33
EasyE
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, your reply and this whole post has been very helpfull.

I ordered the Nuvi 500 a few days ago, prior to reading this post. I was stoked about finding topo / offroad features in a auto style turn-by-turn GPS. GPS sales - people even told me that GPS's with those features don't exist. What really sold me was.. it's waterproof, topo is pre-installed, downloadable/SD card 24k topo, geocache, and the fact that I can mount it to my quad as well as my Jeep. (Plus I had a Dell gift card and got the unit for about $200).

I am not a techy type, but I can download and upload without too much trouble. I will try the map download recommendations on this post and see what I can pull off with the Nuvi 500.

Thanks again.
EasyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #34
Rusty Scupper

New to the whole GPS thing. Just bought a Vista HCx. I wanted to get the 24k topo map but the "region" didnt include the states I wanted so I would have to purchase two regions.

From what I understand I can download this free, is that correct?

Also it included maps (streets of some sort), problem is it only has the main highways, none of the state roads.

Can a more detailed map be downloaded for this?

It is a little overwelming as I am still "old school". Thanks
Rusty Scupper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #35
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Scupper View Post
New to the whole GPS thing. Just bought a Vista HCx. I wanted to get the 24k topo map but the "region" didnt include the states I wanted so I would have to purchase two regions.

From what I understand I can download this free, is that correct?

Also it included maps (streets of some sort), problem is it only has the main highways, none of the state roads.

Can a more detailed map be downloaded for this?

It is a little overwelming as I am still "old school". Thanks
Go to GPSFileDepot - Wisconsin Garmin Compatible Maps

This lists the maps for the start of WI.

Ibycus USA. This will give you the roads.

Then pick one of the several topo maps, they're free, down load them all and use the one you like.

Post if you have any problems.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Unread 04-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #36
Rusty Scupper

Thanks Rudinator!! I am downloading the maps as I type. Just a few more things to figure out. If I have any more questions I will post.

On GPSfileDepot there weren't any lake info for WI. Do you know any places to download that, or does that have to be purchased?
Rusty Scupper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #37
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

bumping this to the top.

I'm seeing posts were people are paying for maps

They are free for the down loading.

Enjoy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.